Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
September 2020:

6r9ni6l9e0l8.jpg

Overall users up from 1.7% to 1.88 - that's 11% increase, but still lower than in May - highest score was 1.93 % (or maybe 1.97) back then. 

Rift-S did surprisingly fine - up 2%. So did Index - up nearly 1%. Quest went down nearly 1% - could be users selling Quest 1 to get Quest 2. CV1 continued to bleed, so did WMR. 
Vive Pro moved up - not much though, and similar trend for Elite. 

Other results:

vcutujd5zesd.jpg

Interesting that Vive survives much better than CV1, maybe the possibility to get Knuckles has worked great... Rift-S seems to have regained its old high from the spring, while Index continues to reach new heights - but since you still have to wait at least 2 months for the Index kit, Index scores would probably be (much) higher if Valve could make enough of them. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
The poor old Cv1 is dying as parts become more scarce.....might be time to sell my new in box, unopened Cv1 cable while there are still Cv1 owners out there, but yeah the fact the Vive can use the knuckles and the new base stations is no doubt why it is lasting, that is why i still have mine, although the G2 i think has even put that on notice at this point.
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable
If the Quest 2 sells as well as I'm expecting it to we could be seeing over 50% of the headsets on Steam being Oculus headsets pretty soon, maybe as soon as next month! 😮

The Oculus headsets are currently at 47.04% (I haven't included the DK1 and DK2 headsets for obvious reasons).

Pretty impressive.

pyroth309
Visionary
I think CV1 is fading because of the additional viable options from Oculus. IE Rift-S and Quest. I'm not sure why so many Vive users didn't make the jump to Index. Perhaps the cost or Valve's manufacturing problems scared them from it.

A lot of people have jumped from WMR for headsets with better tracking as 2 camera tracking in 2020 is behind the curve. I've seen a ton of posts from all over that left it for Index. Plus the Odyssey+ which is considered the best overall WMR headset until G2 shows up, has been out of production and stock forever now so there's not much drawing people in. Will be interesting to see if G2 boosts it much or not. 

Nekto2
Superstar

- Steam survey glitches
- Oculus Rift-S users migrating from Facebook after ID news
- Summer Holidays / General easing of VR usage at this time
- Move too new headsets

And yet another:
- HL:A is ended so players will not run Steam and are using Oculus Store
😄

ps. consider absolute numbers. Percents could change down, but absolute numbers could grow.
Same way could change absolute numbers of steam online users (they were at home, but no more). So if now there is less 2D gamers that will lead to vr headsets grows with same absolute numbers of units 😉
And we do not know survey algorithms if they ask more those who play most of the days then elder vr users (play 1-2 hours a week).

Nekto2
Superstar

@RuneSR2 said:

But of course nothing will (probably) be even remotely close to the quality of Alyx.

Alyx mods only 😉
Some of them very challenging.

ShocksVR
Superstar
I was prompted for the STEAM Sept Survey, but my Rift S wouldn't register for the survey :'(
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
October 2020 results have arrived:

qgkxpuua0mbh.jpg

Vive took a dive (rhyme of the day, lol) - Index got the biggest boost, and Quest grew too (might include Quest 2 users). 

Interesting, but the old king (CV1) actually gained some momentum too. If current trends continue, a 1k hmd kit may be the second most popular hmd in the Steam Hardware Survey next month - that's quite impressive. (Some may only buy the Index hmd, if they have Wands controllers and/or base stations v1.0.) 

Sadly the interest in VR seemed to decline - thus the percentage of Steam users having a hmd connected declined 0.12%. 

Looking at developments and trends the last 1.5 years we see:

dkhysyoxlfvo.jpg

The only continued growth seems to be among Index and Quest users, WMR has declined for long, maybe G2 can help... 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
Yeap that is surprising, the most costly HMD even if you only required to buy HMD itself at £450, but it still gained the most this month, even with the all singing all dancing, cheaper £299 Q2 on offer........I wonder what things might have been the deciding factors in people minds for going for the more expensive HMD, any ideas. lol

But it seems DK2 owners are the only ones content with their present HMD. 🙂

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

jab
Rising Star

RuneSR2 said:
The only continued growth seems to be among Index and Quest users, WMR has declined for long, maybe G2 can help... 

I am not getting a G2 specifically because it is inside-out WMR. And it is not a budget decision.

Just bought a used Pimax 5K Plus for shits and giggles and to try a LCD based headset.
And it turns out giving people the resolution they wanted, and having non parallel displays for increased FOV results in disastrous performance hits. Like 1080ti with <100% res and still barely being playable in some titles bad..
But the FOV is very, very nice and image is the best I have ever seen using 200% minus the fact it is unplayable.