Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
This is terrible  :s - Unless the hideous Quest PCVR soon reveals itself...  B)

rc6d609wxdi1.jpg

To put everything into perspective:

September 2019 = 1.04%
October 2019 = 1.03%
November = 1.02%
December 2019 = 0.87  :# 

I do have a strong feeling the numbers don't contain Quest PCVR, but still these number are depressing. Anyone knows how Quest PCVR is identified in SteamVR? According to this post Quest Link is recognized as Rift-S, but with Quest selling like hotcakes the +0.01% doesn't make sense - unless SteamVR doesn't work using Quest Link:

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/e05xcx/steamvr_recognizes_oculus_link_as_rift_s/

For market shares we see:

6jm8uoiv2ypq.jpg

At least Index has gone from 4.93 to 6.65% which corresponds to a solid 35% increase in market share. Rift-S now has 18.4 % share up from 14.83, so that's a healthy 24% increase in Rift-S market share. Interesting to find out if Quest Link is added to Rift-S or not....

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Maxxgold
Rising Star
I think the sales just started to take off this Christmas with the Quest and Valve Index, as well as all the other headsets. With the announcement of Alyx, all headsets started to sell out. I think those numbers will start trending up soon. Also, factor in all the backorders. Index, Quest, and Rift S are all sold out into February. That may extend into March and beyond unless they ramp up production. Once Alyx releases, and as long as it is a hit, VR numbers will take off. I would be looking at the numbers after the release of Alyx and beyond. 

nalex66
MVP
MVP

RuneSR2 said:

I do have a strong feeling the numbers don't contain Quest PCVR, but still these number are depressing. Anyone knows how Quest PCVR is identified in SteamVR? According to this post Quest Link is recognized as Rift-S, but with Quest selling like hotcakes the +0.01% doesn't make sense - unless SteamVR doesn't work using Quest Link.

I believe the Quest Link does show up as a Rift S in SteamVR (I’m pretty sure it did last time I used it with SteamVR). I’m not sure there will be a noticeable uptick in PCVR due to Quest, though—even with the Quest selling out, I’m not sure how many of those people are connecting it to a PC and using SteamVR. Plus, as mentioned above, there is currently a pretty big backorder for headsets, so a lot of the holiday sales won’t show up in SteamVR for a while yet. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some user on Reddit wrote - and I tend to like this explanation:

"Likely many more overall Steam users. (influx of chinese users) Look at the OS and language stats."

Of course if the number of Steam users grew a lot in countries where few can afford VR, then this could explain that the number of active VR users may seem reduced even if it's not. Unfortunately Valve doesn't provide the real number of VR users. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
I didn't think they could use Steam in China, can they?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Assuming Christmas did create a spike in VR headset sales, it was not taken into account by Steam statistics for the obvious reason that Steam didn't have time to do so. Let's wait for January results, those are always the ones to look at.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Interesting that this is one of the units on the list:

ker17ytakfy3.png
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

saami81
Rising Star
This is another site that tracks current VR usage in Steam https://www.vrlfg.net/VRUsage
We can see that spikes are in november-december. Going up every year, which is good thing.. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

saami81 said:

We can see that spikes are in november-december. Going up every year, which is good thing.. 

I am looking forward to seeing how Quest will be rolled into all this - especially considering how the Quest Link works. The HL:A impact is going to reshape the map, but also the issue with the FB social media needs will also have their impact. 
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
January results just arrived - everything is looking better than ever - the Alyx effect  ❤️

cvs1il0tsiad.jpg

To put everything into perspective:

September 2019 = 1.04%
October 2019 = 1.03%
November = 1.02%
December 2019 = 0.87%
January 2020 = 1.31%  😮 ❤️

So far these are the best ever VR results based on Steam! 

Quest Link is added to Rift-S, so the Rift-S popularity may be inflated in these numbers.

For market shares we see:

h5aqi7nca0eo.jpg

Rift-S + Quest is getting close to CV1, but CV1 is still king 😉 Index is close to all WMR HMDs. Vive non-pro still is no. 2 in the race... 

Based on a rough estimation for Quest, I'd say about 2/3 of the hmds are oled and 1/3 are lcd. 

And Oculus has about 55% of the Steam HMD share, making Oculus - by far - the dominant hmd producer on Steam. Thus it's probably safe to say, the majority of Alyx players will be using an Oculus hmd - and that will probably be the CV1 😉