Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

bigmike20vt
Visionary

There’s no doubt something that costs $399 is going to sell twice as much as something that cost $799 regardless of what it is. People have limits.

Vive use to be rival to Rift. Index is the rival to Vive Pro. But until Cosmos is released RiftS has no competition at that price point. Ok Cosmos is half way between RiftS and Index spec wise but that’s reflected in price.

Its good we have all bases covered. 

Is index a rival to the vivepro?
I would say index supersedes  the vive pro in just about every area except for black levels (OLED) and is cheaper.

I would say the index annihilates the vivepro to be honest. (I say this but have never used an index and just going on comments here).

Oculus have done really well imo with riftS and with Quest.... the issue I have with them is as an enthusiast - and we have a heavy bias of them here on these forums is they do not really offer the product that i want to buy....

it does not mean the riftS or quest isnt a great device.... just that they need to (hopefully) increase their portfolio with another device.  They are not going to bring out a £1000 package, it just isnt how they roll....... but I still hold out hope for a £600-£700 package and because of how they make their money I think they could bring out an index type level of hardware for that price.....

Only with the advantage of the Oculus infrastructure behind it... That is why I am still with Oculus even though the hardware that I have is looking a little last gen now, and their replacement does not really excite me.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@RuneSR2 -  The one thing I'm waiting for is to see if the HTC Cosmos can do both inside out tracking and also use external sensors. There is talk that it can do this, but we also heard the same rumour about Rift S being able to do this at one point. I'm not a fan of inside out tracking myself until it has proven itself and I don't think it has when I see some people's complaints about it in these forums. I don't see the same complaints about external sensors, so I guess that tells me which is the better of the two systems.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

RedRizla said:

@RuneSR2 -  The one thing I'm waiting for is to see if the HTC Cosmos can do both inside out tracking and also use external sensors. There is talk that it can do this, but we also heard the same rumour about Rift S being able to do this at one point. I'm not a fan of inside out tracking myself until it has proven itself and I don't think it has when I see some people's complaints about it in these forums. I don't see the same complaints about external sensors, so I guess that tells me which is the better of the two systems.

Agreed - I bought the Index because I wanted a better experience than the CV1 without hardware sacrifices (like tracking, IPD and audio quality). And even if I'm stuck mostly at 90 Hz/fps using my GTX 1080, there's no doubt that 120 and even 144 Hz/fps (1:1 ratio) greatly improves presence - I'm really not much into supporting 72 or 80 Hz devices with the contents of my wallet.
Also even if Vavle is terribly slow, they are making efforts to support PCVR with new high-quality software content, which I don't think HTC has ever done, and supporting Valve's commitment to improve PCVR by making new enthusiast hardware and hopefully great software content also was a factor when I decided getting the Index. $600 more for getting most things right compared to Rift-S is just 50% of the cost of a 2080 Ti 😉 If I use Index for 24 months that's just $25 per month, lol. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Results from August just arrived:

j6bhjgmrbtm0.jpg

Current number indicates that 1.04% of Steam users have a HMD connected. At least we're beyond 1% - last month the number was 0.98 %, maybe not a bad increase this month (0.06%), assuming that a lot of Steam users who don't own a HMD didn't close their Steam account 😉

And:

rzngukhqpah9.jpg

Rift-S seems to outsell Index about 3 to 1, maybe not bad considering the Index is 2.5 times more expensive. Of course some Rift-S users may not be using Steam, while all Index users use Steam, which may create a bias. 

Could it be that Oculus users switching from CV1 to Rift-S plus a some new users... and Vive owners switching to Index. But with the Oculus switch happening to a much greater extent. Difficult to be sure at this stage.

If so, I suppose it's not too surprising given that lighthouse owners would be much more inclined just get the Index headset. Whereas Oculus users probably want to keep the software infrastructure and native hardware support that they enjoy while upgrading their resolution with no hardware hit. Would have liked to see a larger increase in VR users overall though, hopefully there is a greater increase but possibly not picked up if a percentage of Oculus users who aren't using Steam.

Well, I think a lot of Oculus users use Steam but not as often. I assume if an Oculus user uses Steam half as much as Vive/Index users, the chances of them being captured by a Steam survey request would be half. Unless the request goes to users and is queued until the next log in.

ShocksVR
Superstar

Well, I think a lot of Oculus users use Steam but not as often. I assume if an Oculus user uses Steam half as much as Vive/Index users, the chances of them being captured by a Steam survey request would be half. Unless the request goes to users and is cued until the next log in.

I believe that's correct.  STEAM survey tends to opt for those who tend to use it more, especially considering you have to be actively logged in to get the STEAM survey.

By my own anecdotal experience, I have been using STEAMVR more since No Mans Sky released. And just a few days ago I got a STEAM survey.  It's my first survey after 18+ months without one (my last steam survey was sometime in early 2018; which I think I was playing a ton of Fallout4VR and SkyrimVR at that time).
So ya, I served my headset and was part of the Rift S numbers.
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Achieved in just 2 months, Index is now 50% ahead of Vive Pro. Vive Pro launched 17 months ago (April 5 2018). 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
UploadVR just published an article about the latest data from Steam - like Index doubling in August and Rift-S getting ahead of WMR:

https://uploadvr.com/august-2019-hardware-survey/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Results from September 2019 just arrived:

zjsrkkfmhpy0.jpg

Interesting that Rift CV1 didn't change - and HTC Vive owners showed a similar trend. People may be keeping their oldies but goodies... 

August numbers indicated that 1.04% of Steam users had a HMD connected, September numbers indicate a rise to 1.09%. Looks like a slow but steady growth during the last year - and it's never been higher. WMR has been significantly reduced, sadly no sign of any Reverb impact. 
Exactly one year ago, 0.73% of Steam users had a HMD connected, today it's 1.09% - a change of 49%. During the last year - if the number of Steam users wasn't reduced - the number of Steam users with a PCVR hmd grew at least 49% (even more if the number of Steam users increased the last year). That's not a bad trend for VR adoption.

Unknown HMDs are now about 25% of the pile - probably consisting mostly of Rift-S and Index HMDs. In more detail:

w64sk3af0frm.jpg

Compared to August, Index has risen exactly 50% - from 3.32% to 4.98%. Rift-S has risen from 10.85% to 13.03% (= 20% increase). CV1 and HTC Vive still dominate and account for about 70% of the hmds. Still Rift-S and Index are close to 20% combined, not a bad result only a few months after launch. 
Exactly 1 year ago, CV1 had 47% of the share, now CV1 + Rift-S have 49% of the share - so has Oculus PCVR grown its marked share? - Maybe, but not by much according to the above SteamVR numbers. 

WMR seems heavily reduced - possibly due to being assimilated by the Borg 😉

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^How can the Vive be down 1%, i just bought one last week. 😮

Funny thing is the second time i started up steamVR  last week with the Vive connected the steam survey thing popped up.......just goes to show you steam are always watching you and your PC. lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.