Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

Anonymous
Not applicable
Because they want everyone to think that more people have bought the Valve Index than they actually have.

You'll probably find that 0.3% of those sales are Rift S headsets and 0.1% of those sales are Valve Index headsets I reckon. Or maybe 0.25% and 0.15% might be more accurate.

Valve are going to have the same problem that HTC have had with the Vive Pro because it's just too expensive for what it is. If it was $799/£719 they'd be selling a lot more of the things over a longer period, but with its current price you'll see sales dropping like a lead balloon once the launch window is over.

Yeah there could be some holding back of info until the figures look good... or maybe just different departments doing different things... to different levels of competence.

I'm just remembering my old office.

Anonymous
Not applicable
But then you also have to consider that Valve are the only ones that sell the things too. You can't get one from anywhere else apart from Steam, whereas you can get the Vive Pro from a few places.

They're probably selling well to begin with compared to the Vive Pro because the price isn't quite as daft, but this demand won't keep up. Even if sales get a small boost when they release in Canada and Australia they'll still have the same problem. Sales will drop off a cliff in those territories once the launch window is over.

Oculus on the other hand are selling their headsets hand over fist. The majority of those Unknown headsets will be Rift S headsets.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

snowdog said:

Valve are going to have the same problem that HTC have had with the Vive Pro because it's just too expensive for what it is. If it was $799/£719 they'd be selling a lot more of the things over a longer period, but with its current price you'll see sales dropping like a lead balloon once the launch window is over.

That’s not true by a country mile.

Index can still only be reserved in the UK so you can’t get one on demand.

I live near many country miles, and I do not think you are measuring them correctly! 😛

As snowdog pointed out, you can only get them from Valve direct, which would account for any perceived "backlog" and ongoing "reservations." Lets not forget the plethora of Index returns that were reported across facebook and reddit, as a result of the terrible Knuckles functionality. One can easily assume that Valve has either slowed or halted shipment until they fix their epic blunder.

It is false, by a country mile, to presume that Valve's current "index reservation" scenario is the result of high sales.

hoppingbunny123
Rising Star
its goofy of me to want one but i want one;

i wonder how much canadian it will be. as a former salesman i can see the problem of going door to door asking people to shell out 1500 canadian for the index.plus tax another 300 and shipping another 100 close to 2000, from households where money is tight. most of canada is thrifty fyi.not an enviable sell for the salesman.

now if they gave away 10 full games, and made sure it ran on their pc and you could put 3 payments on it or 6 over half a year then thrifty bargain minded canadians might buy one more likely;

then its party time.

nalex66
MVP
MVP
So the charts have been updated to include Rift S and Index. It seems that the "unknown" percentage was mostly Rift S, as it's already at 8.4%, compared to 1.46% for Index. I don't find this at all surprising, since Index has had a slow rollout with probably much more limited manufacturing. It will be interesting to see how this progresses as Valve fills its backorders, but I don't expect Index to take the VR world by storm at its current price.

It's also worth noting that the Rift CV1 has dropped almost 4% from June to July, so it seems that about half of the Rift S sales may have been upgrades from CV1. Vive has also dropped almost 4%, which could indicate that the majority of Rift S and Index buyers are people who already had either a Rift CV1 or a Vive. Of course, without looking at the overall numbers, I'm speculating a bit here--I don't know how much of the change is accounted for by growth in the total number of headsets versus changing ownership within the established VR user base.
Steam Hardware Survey July 2019
(Image taken from UploadVR story--don't ask me why it says "MACMINI 2.1" in the middle of it.)

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Anonymous
Not applicable
There you go, the Snowdog is right 99% of the time. B)

And those Index sales will drop off a cliff in a few months and get a small boost when the Christmas shopping season starts but the Rift S sales should remain mostly steady (with a slight decline) and get the same sort of boost at Christmas too.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
The ambiguity that this "Survey" feeds the VR community is baffling. Along with the whole issue of who actually can fill in the survey, the accuracy of collected data, manipulation, and the obvious large number of non Steam connected units (Enterprise, PSVR, etc.,) - I think its time for a independent survey of users, supported by the dev-trade. This would help Indies ponder which platforms offer them the best opportunity to support, and also would create a strong understanding of the VR landscape.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
I do think Rift-S will grow much more, it's inexpensive and easy to set up. Index launched June 28, so many Index HMDs may not have had much time to register if Valve measured HMDs during all of July, and the availability is limited. But Snowdog wins this time, sigh 😉 Right now the results indicate that for each Index sold, 6 Rift-S HMDs were sold - might not be a completely unreliable trend due to the massive difference in price and availability. 
Index is not far from Vive Pro which became available April 2018. Interesting to see how things look when Index becomes widely available. I'd suspect Vive owners to adopt Index more than Rift owners, also because Vive owners may not need to buy new base stations. 
All in all still doesn't look good going from 1.00% HMDs to 0.98% during the last month - would so much have liked to see increased adoption of PCVR, not what looks to be a small decline (indicating old users changing to a new HMD, and some maybe abandoning PCVR and going for the Quest). 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable
The Snowdog wins 99% of the time. B)

It'll probably end up selling around the same rate as the Vive Pro but if they made an effort to sell the things in retail they could comfortably outsell the Vive Pro I think. But that would mean effort, something that Valve stopped making around the same time they stopped be able to count to three. Wankers.