Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nah, I doubt it. Probably a bug or something.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Steam Hardware Survey no longer displays VR headsets. It could be a temporary bug, but Valve likely just wiped it off themselves. Could be the end of Valve's commitment to VR. I seriously hope not...

Yikes!
I hope not as well.

Anonymous
Not applicable
Ok, it came back, so it was just a bug I guess. I have to stop being so negative god d*mn it, lol.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Seems the Quest 2 has arrived - big time:

dgbywgycpjlv.jpg

Not a lot of new users seem to have adopted VR, maybe the above results more illustrate that many users changed from one hmd to Quest 2. Vive and Index got reduced the most - but WMR also got a blow, then again G2s may not show before next month. Shifts from WMR, Vive (Pro) and Index to Quest 2 could explain all movements, lol. 

Shares:

m91t8k9x1640.jpg

Rift-S dominates by far, and maybe next month Oculus hmds will take both gold and silver 😉 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable
That's over half the headsets on Steam being Oculus headsets now. ?

I think the Quest 2 is going to sell like crazy, just like the Wii did years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if they've sold around 2m of the things already ?

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
So Oculus shows 57% of the Steam survey thats pretty serious.
WAAAGH!

I'm guessing Steam usage for Oculus owners has increased a bit since the Facebook account requirements were announced with some people thinking games bought there are a safer long-term bet maybe. But at the same time they're buying the hardware that requires the accounts so I'd say that whole situation hasn't been anywhere near as big an issue as some may have thought. There are also a lot of people with Oculus headsets, Quests in particular that just don't use Steam... or even a PC. Stand-alone VR shouldn't be underestimated as an amazingly liberating experience.

It's tempting draw too much of a conclusion from a single month's results but Quest purchases seem to have eaten into the Index and Vive market and not the Rift-S and if true it kind of mirror's my own usage, Rift-S and Quest, bought together was one of the few decisions I haven't regretted.

But it also demonstrates that Facebook could develop another dedicated PCVR headset if they wanted to, without it adversely competing with Quest and vice-versa... I wish they'd reconsider doing that because I think we're at least one more Quest version away from having the perfect all-in-one headset.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^Yeap, it's ironic that a FB made HMD vr device ends up doing great on steamVR platform, so Valve and vr game devs on the platform will be more than happy.  lol
CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OmegaM4N said:

^^Yeap, it's ironic that a FB made HMD vr device ends up doing great on steamVR platform

I don't believe that's how irony works though. Facebook made a VR HMD that intentionally works on other platforms, including WebVR and Steam. Quest and Rift even work on the Roblox platform.

So this is just normality, not irony. It's not any more ironic than the FireFox Web Browser successfully loading the home page for the Opera web browser lol

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Some kinda sad results, the amount of hmds connected among Steam users got from 1.96% to 1.63% during December 2020 - corresponding to a 17% decline:

December 2020
gy8xrqovbkxz.jpg

Only Rift-S and Index grew - again strange - I would have thought Quest 2 to show the greatest increase. Instead Quest decreased. Maybe the "Other" category now includes the Quest 2? 

WMR should have showed some boost due to G2 by now, but it did not, in fact WMR got further reduced. 

Rift CV1 took the heaviest beating, sigh. And of course some CV1s may have stopped working, who knows. 

Market shares:

h9jfw1u2nd7d.jpg

Things are looking steady for Rift-S, Quest and Index, everything else seems more or less in decline...  😐