Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Steam Hardware Survey - February 2024 results included

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

steamvr-2.jpg

Latest results:

dyko7ca98u34.jpg

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

bboc0nqusboe.jpg

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:

Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 

SteamVR_feature.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

550 REPLIES 550

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Ya, wmr looks good price wise, until you find out it’s a crappy VR system with very poor support.

I started off with wmr late last year and while I did get it to work ok I had heaps of problems with it, especially after each and every win10 update.

I switched over to a rift 6 months ago and this has worked great for me.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee
^^^I have had a great time with all three VR systems, Rift, Dell visor and the PSVR, i am now completly VR ready for the next evolution of VR, so hopefully we get close to the perfect VR headset next time.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Roll on Phase Five.... 2022?
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Numbers from November just arrived - things are looking better - if something happened Black Friday it won't show before Dec results are ready by the end of this month. November results:

32gtanl0cahw.jpg

A 0.05% increase isn't bad - at least it shows progress, and more progress than in recent months (due to winter? People are using more time indoors?). If the Odyssey+ had an impact on WMR we also may not see it before the end of this month - it seems that Odyssey+ hmds were low in stock and shipping often delayed.

Rift still dominates:

fmbmi7awmh0w.jpg

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
December 2018 results have arrived:

hup0ay63b969.jpg

bepdkslbmzho.jpg

I was expecting to see a larger impact of the Black Friday sales, when you could get the Rift for just $350, but maybe they all went under Christmas trees - in that case we won't see the impact for at least another month. 

0.80 % of all Steam users may now have/use a PCVR HMD. At least that's a 100% increase since April 2018, where 0.40 % had a PCVR HMD. Then again, in July the numbers were 0.70%, so not much seems to have happened this autumn. 

Back to the December 2018 results, Vive Pro is still more or less dead in the water and the small increase in WMR may be related to Samsung Odyssey+. Oculus Rift gained about 3% from November, but that's probably far from enough to really make Oculus happy... 

And then the video cards:

GTX 1060 = 14.80 %
GTX 1070 = 4.02 %
GTX 1080 = 2.75 %
GTX 1080 Ti = 1.62 % 
RTX 2070 = 0.16 %
RTX 2080 = 0.21 %
RTX 2080 Ti = not present = less than 0.15 %

As @LZoltowski wrote "there are more VR headsets in use than RTX 2080 + RTX 2070 combined". Of course this number will probably grow, as persons thinking about getting a 1080 Ti now may prefer the RTX 2080. The RTX 2070 may be a very interesting card, typically placed between 1080 and 1080 Ti regarding performance, and the RTX 2070 has similar power consumption like the GTX 1080. Still to get better performance in VR games than a 1080 Ti can provide you'll need a 2080 Ti.  

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Just saw that UploadVR made an article about the Steam Hardware Surveys from the last year - and have made a nice illustration:

steam hardware survey pc vr oculus rift htc vive windows mr

Source: https://uploadvr.com/vr-steam-grew-2018/

I'm not that happy about the flattening of the curves starting summer 2018, let's hope for a strong Christmas sale - líke described here:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-strong-demand-holidays/?fbclid=IwAR288M1MvjHJO2WOWtlmA85PZ6jUBgOsDF...

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Summer is when people are less likly to want to wear a VR headset due to the heat and been outdoors. Looks like Oculus sales steadily increased around Christmas, while Vive sales had the flat bar around that time. Looking at the graphs it will be a good idea to see the Oculus Quest arrive in April..

I'm shocked to see the Vive Pro hasn't taken off - it really is a great headset.

I wish Oculus had reduced the price of the Rift for Christmas (yes, lower than £379).  I'm thinking £299.  Would have been a great seller at that price i think.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

RedRizla
Honored Visionary

I'm shocked to see the Vive Pro hasn't taken off - it really is a great headset.

I wish Oculus had reduced the price of the Rift for Christmas (yes, lower than £379).  I'm thinking £299.  Would have been a great seller at that price i think.

The Vive Pro is to expensive for a lot of people that's why it's not selling well. It's the same reason why you think Oculus might have sold lots more headsets for £299 and not £379. You could say the Vive Pro might have sold lots if it dropped it's price to £400..

RedRizla said:

The Vive Pro is to expensive for a lot of people that's why it's not selling well. It's the same reason why you think Oculus might have sold lots more headsets for £299 and not £379. You could say the Vive Pro might have sold lots if it dropped it's price to £400..

Do you know what - i thought that a couple of minutes after posting.  The reasons i haven't bought a Vive Pro are:

1. it isn't a big enough step up from the Rift.  It is a step up, just not big enough.
2. Price.

I suppose i would love to see the Rift sell more, hence i want them to drop the price.  I'm surprised the Pro hasn't sold more but i'm not as bothered if they do or don't.
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3