cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subnautica

leo1954au
Adventurer
Thought I would give Subnautica a go but I cannot see the mouse curser in vr and it only appears in window mode plus my xbox one controller is not working right is there any fix for this
11 REPLIES 11

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Did you make sure controller is enabled in the game options?

I would recommend setting the options on the monitor (starting in normal 2D first) and then restart in VR to play.

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Pixie40
Expert Trustee
Subnautica can be ran in VR, but to be honest it's not a particularly good choice to play the game in VR. Looks damn impressive, but as you noticed it's not really built with VR in mind. The mouse cursor is invisible, it can struggle with using various controllers (I find a PS4 one works better then an Xbox One controller), and a whole host of other problems crop up the second you launch the game in VR.

Oh, and don't even bother trying to use your Touch controllers as a gamepad. You'll be unable to do half the things you need to do, such as turn or equip your hotkey tools. Or use said tools.
Lo, a quest! I seek the threads of my future in the seeds of the past.

leo1954au
Adventurer
Ok thank, 

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
The game plays perfectly well in VR with a gamepad. It was released in Oculus Home at a time before Touch was released. There are mods if you want to change things - such as moving the HUD further away for more comfortable viewing and interaction.

Also note that the Oculus store Subnautica is on version 1.0 and has never been updated. It's therefore better to use the Steam version, which has had many bug fixes (God knows not all, though) and performance improvements.

kojack
MVP
MVP
I got it for free from the Epic Store in one of their weekly deals. 🙂

Subnautica is an oddity in that it is one of my favourite VR games, while also one of the worst VR implementations. It's glitchy and badly done, but when it works the immersion (pun intended) is awesome.
Definitely get the community VR fix, the developers don't care about VR and never fixed it, but someone else did instead.

I haven't bought Below Zero because I have no interest in ever playing a Subnautica game without VR.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Nunyabinez
Rising Star
I also love Subnautica, and tried to play it first in VR. They made some compromises to make it work in VR. For example, you don't get some animations, such as climbing into the escape pod, presumably because that motion was more likely to make people nauseated. 

Also, early in the game, when you don't have much oxygen supply, getting to the surface quickly is important. I found that I had to crane my neck way back to move in the direction of the surface and it was extremely uncomfortable.

I have opted to only play it in pancake, but it is a really fun game with the exception of the lack of cloud saves. I have twice lost all my progress and had to start all over.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Yeah, getting to the surface can be a bit - lung-busting (why is it I always felt my lungs were gonna burst when I was playing the game!) but if you just remember to simply press the bumper on the gamepad you will go up, no matter which way you are looking. Can't remember if it's left or right bumper - it's one of the reasons I stopped playing in VR, just couldn't get on with using a gamepad having only ever used them for arcade driving games.
The other reason being that I felt sick all the time. Not badly, but just enough to be able to keep playing, but feeling uncomfortable - in the end I decided it wasn't worth it and played it on the monitor instead.

Here are the mods for download:

and here's the reddit discussion on the VR enhancement mod:

Have fun!

Nunyabinez
Rising Star

JD-UK said:

Yeah, getting to the surface can be a bit - lung-busting (why is it I always felt my lungs were gonna burst when I was playing the game!) but if you just remember to simply press the bumper on the gamepad you will go up, no matter which way you are looking. Can't remember if it's left or right bumper - it's one of the reasons I stopped playing in VR, just couldn't get on with using a gamepad having only ever used them for arcade driving games.
The other reason being that I felt sick all the time. Not badly, but just enough to be able to keep playing, but feeling uncomfortable - in the end I decided it wasn't worth it and played it on the monitor instead.

Here are the mods for download:

and here's the reddit discussion on the VR enhancement mod:

Have fun!

Thanks! I wan't aware of the mods. I'll download them and give the VR version another try.

i7 8700, 16GB, RTX 2080 TI, Rift CV1 | i5 4690K, 16GB, GTX 1660 TI, Rift CV1 | Quest | Quest 2

leo1954au
Adventurer
I tried using the Xbox controller that came with my rift but having played computer game with a mouse and keyboard for over 25 years I just cannot get the hang of using one stick for up/down and the other for forward/back,