cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sword Art Online VR NEEDS to happen this decade

LuluViBritannia
Level 9
Hey guys!
VR has gone so far in less than 10 years! Great hardware, great software, great games. BUT it's still not enough for "mainstream". There are lots of reasons for that, but I think the latest headsets have solved most issues. There's only ONE issue though, that still needs to be solved for mass appeal: VR needs its own franchise.
Oculus understands that. They tried with Luckey's Tale, and failed miserably (I love this game though, but it's clearly not the "Mario of VR" in terms of popularity) ; they tried with Echo:VR, but the brand is not that strong either.
Why doesn't it work out? Because nowadays, people don't want something new: they want something they know already. I mean, sure, new brands can get popular, but it's incredibly rare compared to established brands. It's a known marketing fact: a brand people already know and enjoy is a strong brand.

So what's the solution for VR? We can take the existing franchises, and that will be awesome for sure. But it's not enough: for most people, it would just be a sign that VR is a "gadget" that doesn't stand on its own.

So here is my solution to this problem. If things work out, 2020 will be the decade of VR. 2020 is also the decade in which happens the anime series Sword Art Online (which is about Virtual Reality, if you don't know it). It's an amazing coincidence, and in my opinion, the industry cannot afford to ignore it.

Now I'm not the biggest fan of this series. I love some parts of it, but the fact is it has some glaring writing issues... but it doesn't matter for this thread, lol. The fact is, SAO is one of the most popular anime series of the past decade, and it will still be strong in the 2020's. It is by far the most popular show about VR ever, and this decade is the perfect time to exploit it.
I mean, there was Matrix, and that would also be awesome in VR, but the fact is it wouldn't appeal to as many people as SAO today.

Also, Matrix games would need realistic graphics. Nothing wrong with that, but since SAO is an anime, the graphics for these games would be simple, hence: much easier to run on lower hardware, so it would be more accessible. Imagine a game like Breath Of the Wild (or more like Genshin Impact, since it's basically the anime version of BotW, lol): the graphics are simple, but beautiful, and that's perfect for VR.

Finally, SAO literally shows VR games. The developers would just have to base their work on what was shown in the series, their path for the next 15 years would be traced already:
1) develop Aincrad first : make all its floors with Boss fights, leveling system with various sword skills, and script the story into the game;
2) then develop ALO : great gameplay upgrade, with the addition of magic (activated with voice commands!) and flight system ; all that in a brand new map;
3) then develop GGO : the FPS version of this game ; it could become an e-sports game!
4) finally, they can also develop the Underworld.

That's four potential killer apps for VR. And even though the games in SAO are MMO, it doesn't need to irl: a story-driven game, with possibility of coop with a few friends (let's say max. 4 players), in an explorable world would be more than enough to appeal to the fanbase (except for GGO, that one needs to be a competitive multiplayer Battle Royale game, although it could have a campaign mode a la Battlefield). It would allow the fans to dive into their favourite world, it would allow others to discover this series in an amazing way, and the author would be able to expand his story (since he clearly wants to, as he's working on a longer version of his series).

Now I don't have any hopes that it happens, lol. But if someone at Oculus reads it: you HAVE to get in touch with the author and convince him to make true VR SAO games. Virtual Reality gaming needs a franchise on its own, and SAO would be perfect for it, as it's that show's decade and it's still strong today.

(If you think I'm just daydreaming... you're right! lol)
Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
- Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
- Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
- More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
- Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
11 REPLIES 11

Richooal
Level 12
They just need to make vr versions of those popular facebook games like that farm thing, or whatever it is, and those gemstone games. Oh boy, it will be sooooo cool.
i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Sensors - 1 minor problem
Dear Oculus, If it ain't broke, don't fix it, please.

Luciferous
Level 12
Well you have my vote, really missing a decent mmo / rpg game. I think Facebooks answer though is Horizons.

DaAuron
Level 4
Have you tried A Township Tale yet? It's a free to play 'survival RPG' that is by far the closest to a designed-for-VR SAO type of experience - cartoony style though not like anime.

Luciferous
Level 12
Wow Township Tale looks great not sure how I missed that.

nighhman
Level 4
It’s time to give SAO the ultimate respect it deserves. A beautiful masterpiece of its own design. An immersive VR game full of blade on blade parry and strike fighting, creative weapons, an apparel range that will make Michael Jackson proud, original creatures whether cute and friendly or monstrous and bloodthirsty, slow to progress end floor dungeons leading to another brilliantly diverse floor, optional player vs player duals, potions, various skills, a befriending and squad making system, and teleport/condition crystals, and an elaborate exp system utilizing the time in combat, health taken, and damage dealt. I don’t have any money, but I know for a fact that this game will be a must-have for years to come. I would love to direct and help develop it. The platform difference will be a problem, but if it’s for the manga and story we know and love, it will overcome any challenge it faces. It’s time to give the world what it desperately needs and wants.

My gmail is nighhman@gmail.com

I can not guarantee that I will be able to pay you, and I probably won't until we find a way to profit from the game.

Please contact me so I can estimate how many people want to make this game. Don't forget to leave your contact info, preferably email, and what role do you want to play in making this game.

We will probably be using Unreal Engine 4 for development and will be targeting oculus rift. After we make a stable game there we could expand to psvr and quest 2.

since we have absolutely no money or a way to get money, please do your best to self advertise and donate towards the making of the game [all donations are strictly for the games purposes, not to be given to any person whatsoever, and will be used to buy; servers, development tools(only if needed or exponentially helpful), advertisements(not extensively), etc.]

Please wait until after new year's to expect any, initiative but don't hesitate to contact me about anything.

Luciferous
Level 12
I loved SAO but I am pretty sure you would have issues with copyright.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Also, I don't think this is the place to request funding from people. Kickstarter would be the right avenue.

The forum doesn't have the same kind of processes in place to assure people of refunds over unmet goals for example,  that kickstarter has. Asking for developer time is ok but not funding.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

Luciferous
Level 12
I know there are fan based examples of this sort of thing. I do know they are usually non profit collaborations.

nighhman
Level 4

Also, I don't think this is the place to request funding from people. Kickstarter would be the right avenue.

The forum doesn't have the same kind of processes in place to assure people of refunds over unmet goals for example,  that kickstarter has. Asking for developer time is ok but not funding.

I loved SAO but I am pretty sure you would have issues with copyright.

first of all I'm asking for donations(not funding), and It's a call to arms for people who love SAO and have developing skills. Second of all I submitted a request to "A-1 Pictures" asking for permission. Thirdly, it technically counts as a        non-profit.