cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

THIS is VR [ 'Vive Pre' new hands on ]

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
READ >> http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-re ... -hands-on/

Thanks to the new camera on the front of the Vive Pre, approaching the grid now shows you the outline of the objects and people in the room with you. And it’s all in vivid teal — HTC calls it “Chaperone mode.” I’ve only used it for a few minutes, but I don’t really want to Vive without it.
If you want to pause your game, you can also turn the real world back on at any time by double tapping a button on either of the Vive controllers. This dissolves your game space and recreates the real world around you in a darker, more detailed, shade of teal. This allowed me to find a real chair someone put in the middle of my virtual game space and sit in it. Like one of those trust falls you do at camp, I half expected to fall right to the ground. It takes a lot of trust to sit in what appears to be an animated chair, even if you know it’s real. But the chair was where it appeared to be, and I sat down, relieved and giddy.

Oculus be damned, this is the future

The Oculus Rift is now on sale for $600, and the HTC Vive will likely cost even more when it arrives in homes this April.
I don’t think it matters. No other VR headset can immerse users like the Vive, and the Vive Pre takes a huge leap forward by including a camera that connects its virtual holodeck space to the real people and objects in a room. That eliminates the alienation felt when wearing a virtual reality headset, which is normally blinding, and may lead to games and apps that transform real world objects and people, rather than ignoring them.
I’m still excited about Oculus Rift, can’t wait to see more from the HoloLens, and the Gear VR won the Digital Trends Product of the Year for 2015, but damn it, I’m putting my virtual money on the HTC Vive.
This is virtual reality. Everyone else needs to catch up.

Now this is stuff to get excited about, even at a higher price than CV1. Just imagine 'correct' VR (full input) + these strides being made with the onboard camera allowing us to work around much of what annoys us with DK2 currently. I for one love VR but used to get a bit stir crazy and annoyed having to peer out of the lower gap to find my drink/controller/whatever.

Valve/HTC are really going for it and I think if you are a true VR fan it's THEY who deserve your financial support. Like I've said, due to Oculus setting the price so high on a bare bones, nothing fancy HMD it's now made probably the eventual price of Vive move up a notch too - but we'll see if Valve are fair and not just out for the cash grab. If they can get within $250 of the Rift price but with those controllers and that front cam + mega accurate FULL SCALE room tracking all included then it's really a no brainer.

Y'see it was never just about the final price, it was about the quality and the facility of the VR solution. CV1 is as half baked as any of the devkits were (which were fun for a while but soon ran out of steam due to no proper input). I'd say proper input was actually more vital to 'fun' and ability to stay in VR over any further advances in res and FOV (at this stage) and as we are stuck with what we've got for FOV/RES until tech catches up, at least provide correct input and tracking, and a way of 'seeing' the outside world in a usuable and possibly exciting fashion.

This is where Oculus missed the mark big time, so focused on and wasting time on GearVR to the loss of PC/Hardcore VR and while I thank Palmer for getting the ball rolling again on VR hand on heart my money, faith and support has to go with Valve on this, not facebook and the blatant cash-ins from GearVR, Xbox Tie ins and other 'nerfed' design choices at high prices. :mrgreen:

Vive is the kind of kit you WOULD sell a kidney for, I wouldn't even sell a steak and kidney pie for the rift in its current state.

UPDATE:

Bonus Vive VIDEO (must watch/read)

http://ops.bestofmedia.com/us/ooyala_fr ... jdi6lKfR75

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/htc-vi ... 30894.html
EX DK2/VIVE/PSVR/CV1/Q2/PSVR2 | Currently Quest Pro (PCVR) | VR developer
RTX 3080 FE / 12900k / Windows 11 Pro
52 REPLIES 52

steveoz32
Expert Protege
I'd love the VIVE if my computer room wasn't a 10x8 box already filled with computers, screens and audio equipment. I can barely sit down in here as it is, I could just do a sit in the chair simulation? 🙂

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"steveoz32" wrote:
I'd love the VIVE if my computer room wasn't a 10x8 box already filled with computers, screens and audio equipment. I can barely sit down in here as it is, I could just do a sit in the chair simulation? 🙂

You do know that room tracking is optional? surely you must by now as I think we must have told almost everyone who labored under the impression you HAD to stand and HAD to walk around a large room to use vive.

For the record vive works JUST AS WELL if not better sitting down as the Oculus rift, it has much better (accurate/faster) tracking whether you sit in front of your pc or run around your 15x15 room.

Lets not mislead people again on that. It can do everything the rift does and then some. The tracking is there anyway (for the wands and HMD) just like oculus + touch will be, the only difference is it has been designed in advance to accommodate those who wish to use it for room scale tracking (of which I'm one and have a 10 X 13 foot space empty and waiting!)

RirtualVeality
Adventurer
"Sharpfish" wrote:
READ >> http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-re ... -hands-on/

Thanks to the new camera on the front of the Vive Pre, approaching the grid now shows you the outline of the objects and people in the room with you. And it’s all in vivid teal — HTC calls it “Chaperone mode.” I’ve only used it for a few minutes, but I don’t really want to Vive without it.
If you want to pause your game, you can also turn the real world back on at any time by double tapping a button on either of the Vive controllers. This dissolves your game space and recreates the real world around you in a darker, more detailed, shade of teal. This allowed me to find a real chair someone put in the middle of my virtual game space and sit in it. Like one of those trust falls you do at camp, I half expected to fall right to the ground. It takes a lot of trust to sit in what appears to be an animated chair, even if you know it’s real. But the chair was where it appeared to be, and I sat down, relieved and giddy.

Oculus be damned, this is the future

The Oculus Rift is now on sale for $600, and the HTC Vive will likely cost even more when it arrives in homes this April.
I don’t think it matters. No other VR headset can immerse users like the Vive, and the Vive Pre takes a huge leap forward by including a camera that connects its virtual holodeck space to the real people and objects in a room. That eliminates the alienation felt when wearing a virtual reality headset, which is normally blinding, and may lead to games and apps that transform real world objects and people, rather than ignoring them.
I’m still excited about Oculus Rift, can’t wait to see more from the HoloLens, and the Gear VR won the Digital Trends Product of the Year for 2015, but damn it, I’m putting my virtual money on the HTC Vive.
This is virtual reality. Everyone else needs to catch up.

Now this is stuff to get excited about, even at a higher price than CV1. Just imagine 'correct' VR (full input) + these strides being made with the onboard camera allowing us to work around much of what annoys us with DK2 currently. I for one love VR but used to get a bit stir crazy and annoyed having to peer out of the lower gap to find my drink/controller/whatever.

Valve/HTC are really going for it and I think if you are a true VR fan it's THEY who deserve your financial support. Like I've said, due to Oculus setting the price so high on a bare bones, nothing fancy HMD it's now made probably the eventual price of Vive move up a notch too - but we'll see if Valve are fair and not just out for the cash grab. If they can get within $250 of the Rift price but with those controllers and that front cam + mega accurate FULL SCALE room tracking all included then it's really a no brainer.

Y'see it was never just about the final price, it was about the quality and the facility of the VR solution. CV1 is as half baked as any of the devkits were (which were fun for a while but soon ran out of steam due to no proper input). I'd say proper input was actually more vital to 'fun' and ability to stay in VR over any further advances in res and FOV (at this stage) and as we are stuck with what we've got for FOV/RES until tech catches up, at least provide correct input and tracking, and a way of 'seeing' the outside world in a usuable and possibly exciting fashion.

This is where Oculus missed the mark big time, so focused on and wasting time on GearVR to the loss of PC/Hardcore VR and while I thank Palmer for getting the ball rolling again on VR hand on heart my money, faith and support has to go with Valve on this, not facebook and the blatant cash-ins from GearVR, Xbox Tie ins and other 'nerfed' design choices at high prices. :mrgreen:

Vive is the kind of kit you WOULD sell a kidney for, I wouldn't even sell a steak and kidney pie for the rift in its current state.

The front facing camera is next to useless. It only shows an OUTLINE of the real world...and even that looks blurry. I don't see anything here that puts it ahead of the Rift. Nothing. And it'll cost even more? Fuck that.

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"RirtualVeality" wrote:

The front facing camera is next to useless. It only shows an OUTLINE of the real world...and even that looks blurry. I don't see anything here that puts it ahead of the Rift. Nothing. And it'll cost even more? Fuck that.

LOL that is exactly WHY it is so good, nobody wants a grainy b&w pass through camera, that's not what this is and you k now it you fanboy you!. The "outline" you speak of is an artistic rendering (like a photoshop filter) of the real world, edge filter, neon filter, it works great! That is precisely the out of the box thinking VR needs, a general real vid feed pass through cam wouldn't be as much use and looks crap, this looks stylish AND can be brought into gameplay!

Included VR input? HELLO MC'FLY - you seriously think a stupid gamepad can compete with Vive wands (or touch)? THAT puts Vive ahead straight out of the gate. Then there's the more accurate and not at all stupid tracking (vs camera on a desk last last gen style tracking), then there's the matter of ability for FULL room scale tracking without buying extra dodgy cameras (that can be occluded).

This front cam thing is just yet ANOTHER thing that puts vive above rift, and it already was above it. Cant' you read the article? Factor in that valve/steam will have tons more quality software from the start than oculus can muster up and yes you bet it should cost more, and in this case it WOULD be worth it. You realise Touch is gonna be $300? so that's $900 all in to get a rift+touch and even then you lose out on room tracking + chaperone/cam.

If you don't see the benefit in the camera and the ability to be aware of your surrounding properly then you clearly didn't do much with your DK2 than sit bolt upright staring at a polygon. I did my head in banging into things (or being wary of doing that) while moving a little in the rift.

By all means go buy the substandard VR solution with Xbone pad, I just hope they have left venting room for your tears when you realise you bought a dud. :roll:

Lighthouse just aint gonna work for 99% of people unfortunately.

Great for demos though! 🙂
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
andyring, who is currently on your ignore list, made this post.

sorry mate you're on ignore, I can see you posted but I guess it really would just be a load of bollocks/oculus fanboy crap so you're pre-blocked as I asked you to do to me. Stop following me around weirdo, I won't go out with you. :lol:

Anyway, you can either read the article and digest it or continue in your sycophantic 'we accept all crap that facebook puts on us' ways, it really is no skin off my nose (other than your disregard for GOOD vr and suppport for BAD VR).

Enjoy your VR solution no matter if it's great (Vive/Sony) or sub-standard (Oculus). :mrgreen:

Gigantoad
Adventurer
Yeah sounds great. Seems they are really focusing a lot more on getting the whole package right. Even if it comes out later and more expensive. Proper (and above all else, included) input is very important. Actually the longer I think about it, the more I wonder how Oculus went down that slippery slope of "ship with gamepad, sell touch later".

REDxFROG
Honored Guest
I have high hopes on Vive now.

To be honest, when I sold my DK2 and news about HTC Vive showed up more and more, people and testers being hyped about it, I tried to defend my place being an Oculus fanboy but in the back of my head I knew that Oculus is most likely about to be beaten and I would have to change my perspective and have to be open and honest for everything new by the competitors.

It looks like the CV1 production is extremely weak. New pre-orders getting it in June while it was in March when the pre order started. Seriously? But you people do realize that most likely ONLY enthusiasts, nerds, devs, die hard fans are ordering it, especially at this price tag. And that's not a big amount of people if you think about it.

It sounded to me like they wanted to see the Oculus Rift in a lot more households. Probably 10 or 100 times the amount. But NOT at this price tag...

I don't even want to pre-order it anylonger, no matter what. I would want to have it in March (for THAT price), just like all the other people who pay the same price or I will not want it at all. Waiting till June that thing is already outdated and brand new Vive shows up!

Sharpfish
Heroic Explorer
"Gigantoad" wrote:
Yeah sounds great. Seems they are really focusing a lot more on getting the whole package right. Even if it comes out later and more expensive. Proper (and above all else, included) input is very important. Actually the longer I think about it, the more I wonder how Oculus went down that slippery slope of "ship with gamepad, sell touch later".

Microsoft backhander, plain and simple.

I read somewhere once that ms were doing oculus some favours in windows 10 (as in low level stuff) now MS don't just do favours for people esp when they have a lame/limping/DOA console like Xbox One to pimp to gamers.. .here comes the 'completely free bundled xbone gamepad' and 'stream xbox games to oculus' gimmick.

and we go from Palmer stressing how VITAL good input was for VR to almost playing it down and saying "gamepad is where it's at cos that's all DK devs had to use".. I do not buy that one bit, many DK devs were crying out for a proper solution, many inc myself ceased activity on DK2 and sold it when it was clear no solution was coming.

To finally ship CV1 without proper VR input means it will be filled with nothing but mobile ports (shovelware) and ill thought out old style gaming hacked together for VR using a gamepad.

If people really can't think of ways to use a vive wand/touch even in more traditional gaming then they should get a new imagination. Palmer knows this is the truth, and he knows the number one frustration with DK2 / VR was the lack of being able to tangibly connect with the world.

Shipping Xbox pad with CV1 is the worst thing they could have done for GREAT VR. Oculus don't care about GREAT VR anymore, only VR that can make some quick cash.