cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Terrible experience with Facebook and Oculus

MontereyVRset1
Explorer

Honestly this is the most frustrated I have been with a company. it's disgraceful.

I purchased 12 Oculus Quest 2 devices for my high school students to use thinking it would be great experience for them to learn this way and experience new technology. But thanks to Facebook making it mandatory to use their accounts to set up devices 4 of these headsets have been sitting on the shelf unused for 2 weeks. I originally spoke to Oculus support who advised me to set up accounts to manage the devices. So we created 2 Facebook accounts using my name and 3 gmail accounts set up on the school's domain,  However the Facebook bot disabled the 3rd account immediately. I sent a photo and phone number and entered a confirmation code to try to get it sorted and wrote a ticket to Facebook. but for 2 weeks I've heard nothing and the account is still disabled. I then contacted Oculus yesterday but all day today I have been getting an automatic reply from support asking for details I'd already given in the original email and ticket. I listed the 3 email addresses that set up the facebook accounts and told them which one was disabled. yet still they keep asking me for an alternative email address. I told them that the high school is in Australia but still they keep asking for the country. I'm not at the school this week so haven't got the serial numbers but why does that matter. Facebook disabled the account and I just want it reenabled and a guarantee that these 3 accounts wont be disabled again.

Now if support happens to read this , then this is one of the accounts that is enabled so perhaps you can see the devices linked to this and see the other 8 that were bought by the same school. I really don';t see though how it matters what the serial numbers of devices I haven't even set up yet are when all they need to do is reenable a Facebook account that was se tup using my real name and date of birth and I've sent a photo of me and confirmed my mobile number and sent 2 other email addresses i can be contacted on. 

Really. If this is the way you treat your customers then good luck to you because it's a disgrace. Honestly I'd be happy to return all 12 devices and go to a company that will treat us with some respect and not give us the runaround like this. It's not well into the evening in my own time. 

If anyone from Oculus support is reading this please sort this out. i don't want to deal with the robot response anymore that just never changes. Just reenable the account. How hard can it be? Would any other company disable a customers account for no reason and get them to jump through hoops to verify it and when they do ignore them for 2 weeks and when they eventually reply just send them autmoated messages asking for information they already were given and don;'t actually need to enable the customer account anyway. You guys disabled it and you guys can enable it but you are just not bothering too. So if it's not sorted by tomorrow I'm returning all the devices for a refund and we'll go with another company now and in the future.

6 REPLIES 6

MontereyVRset1
Explorer

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/316326-facebook-is-permabanning-oculus-quest-2-owners-for-owning-...

This wasn't supposed to keep happening. Facebook admitted it's mistake months ago but it's still happening today. 

My tech at the school warned me about this and that's why I wrote to Oculus supporrt to get it in writing that this would be ok and I have those email and yet the account has been banned and 4 devices rendered useless by your parent company. I'll be screenshotting those emails plus the runaround replies I have been getting today and Facebook complete lack of response to my ticket and all the hoops I jumped through to get the account reenabled and I'll be posting it in replies to all the forums full of your customers who found themselves in similar situations. i guess when a multi billion dollar company buys you out then 12 devices and school communities are just drops in the ocean so you couldn't care less. 

MontereyVRset1
Explorer

When my tech told me about how people were getting accounts banned after being told explicitly they could set up FB accounts to use Quest 2 i thought he was being melodramatic. I thought no way would a company that is trying to get market share in an emerging market end up screwing over it's customers by banning their perfectly legitimate accounts. When I read that article and saw that Facebook had been doing it I was surprised but reassured when they admitted it was wrong and would fix the situation. But months later they are still doing ti and it isn't fixed. It's just such poor customer service and shows a complete lack of respect for those who buy their products. We bought 12 devices for you that would be promoting your products and developers apps to a community of thousands of future users and you go and ban the account that we want to set devices up.

kojack
MVP
MVP

"I originally spoke to Oculus support who advised me to set up accounts to manage the devices. So we created 2 Facebook accounts using my name and 3 gmail accounts set up on the school's domain, However the Facebook bot disabled the 3rd account immediately."

Creating more than one account for a person is against Facebook rules and is the most common reason (besides fake identity) for account bans. If Oculus support really suggested using your name for more than one account, they were very wrong to do so since this is a well known rule violation.

"and yet the account has been banned and 4 devices rendered useless by your parent company. "

If you still have 8 headsets working and only 4 on the banned account, you could factory reset the 4 and log them into the same account as the other 8. Headsets aren't permanently tied to accounts. A factory reset is fairly simple and after that the headset can be attached to a different facebook account.

The safest way to deal with multiple Quests is to buy the Quest 2 for Business instead. Same headset, but there's no Facebook account and you have much more control over managing them. Sadly that costs double the price.

(I'm a teacher in Aus too. So far all of our Oculus headsets (CV1s, Go's, Quests) just use my old non-facebook oculus account. We apparently have some Quest 2s now, but I don't know how they were set up, I haven't been on campus for a year. I think marketing owns them, so I probably can't use them anyway)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Hi thanks for your reply.  Oculus support suggested managing the devices 1:4 ratio given the way we wanted to manage them in terms of app sharing and apps on devices. This made sense to me and we don't want all 12 devices on the same account. They didn't explicitly say to use the same name when setting up the FB accounts, however I told them that I would need to set up 3 FB accounts to manage the devices and they didn't raise any issues with this or tell me that I would need to get 2 other people to make Facebook accounts. Also it's unreasonable to expect people to use their name to set up new FB accounts if they can't have more than one because that means they either have to use their own FB account or not have their own FB account. It's an absolutely ridiculous situation that could have been avoided by just letting customer set up Oculus accounts like you did before they changed this. it's caused untold problems for so many people and continues to do so. I should be able to set up 3 accounts to manage 12 devices without it being a drama like this.  I just got authorisation to buy $100s worth of apps but I'm scared to put them on the devices since they could eaisly get permabanned just like the 3rd account did. especially since form what you're saying they are both illegal too since they're in my name. So what name should i put them in since anyone who has an FB account can't do it unless they want to attach their personal account to them but that's unacceptable from the schools point of view. I'm addressing this to Oculus/FB btw not you. I appreciate your help. 

Oculus never suggested this business option in all the contact i had with them when buying the devices which was extensive. honestly this whole experience has put me off using their devices at all., I don't want to live in constant fear that $6000 of devices plus $100s of apps will just become unusable at the whim of FB and their unreasonable restrictions. No other company places restrictions like this on accounts. It should be fine to have 1 account per device if you wish. that's what most people have so why isn't it possible if you own multiple devices. Again that's addressed to them.

As soon as a similarly priced device of similar quality comes onto the market I'll be taking all the business from the 2 schools I work at to them because I don;t want to deal with this nonsense from FB/Oculus. It's ridiculous and very poor customer service. And if they can't organise for these 12 devices to be set up using 3 accounts then I'll be sending all 12 back for a full refund and I'll pay the extra to buy from closest competitors in the market or just spend on another technology and wait until a company comes along that caters to schools.  I'm not running around trying to find 3 people without FB accounts to set up FB accounts to manage the devices. it's completely unreasonable of FB to expect this. I can;t think of any other technology that doesn''t let you register using a separate account per device in your own name. It's just absurd.

@MontereyVRset1 wrote:

https://www.extremetech.com/gaming/316326-facebook-is-permabanning-oculus-quest-2-owners-for-owning-...

This wasn't supposed to keep happening. Facebook admitted it's mistake months ago but it's still happening today. 

Another thing that is not supposed to be happening... is trying to use a consumer product as a business product.

This is happening because you are trying to use the consumer Oculus Headset, which is manufactured for use by a single user with a single Facebook Account, in a way that is not intended.

You keep trying to blame Oculus and Facebook but the error resides on your end, not theirs.

Everything you are posting in regards to your intended use revolves around Oculus for Business.

At the very least, each of your 12 units should have been tied to 12 Facebook accounts for 12 staff members.

Oculusnorthwest1
Explorer

I'm having problems, too!  My problem is we are a state agency and purchases need to be tax-exempt.  However, when I go purchase the games we would like to order, there is no where to put that info.  I attached our tax-exempt form to one of the messages that I sent them.  I've talked to chat and he said he couldn't help me.  I've perused the forum.  I'm so frustrated!  

Were you able to purchase the games using a tax-exempt number?