cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The BEST THING EVER just happened to VR

cybernettr
Level 9
This video on OpenXR got me to thinking. When we use the Rift, why do we need to see the Oculus home screen? Why does the Oculus app even have to be running in order to use VR? 

VR is not an operating system! It’s more like a dumb monitor or display screen than an OS.  Instead of using Oculus Home, why not have a choice of homes from a variety of different developers? Competition makes things interesting and it keeps the industry moving. There’s no reason why the Oculus Rift or Quest or other devices need to be tied to a particular platform. 

The future of VR can be like the Apple App Store — very closed and controlled by a single company – or it can be  more like PC gaming, with a huge variety to choose from.  Also, if you buy a lot of experiences, you won’t have to worry about being tied down to a single platform. You can move everything from one to another. 

Oculus is a hardware manufacturer, not an operating system like Apple or Windows. 

https://youtu.be/SM6SbkzDT8g

36 REPLIES 36

Zenbane
Level 16

Zenbane, you are no fan of VR

I more than just a "fan" of VR, I am someone who sees a future in VR for the Enterprise. And I have enjoyed the last few years of exploring development opportunities in this area.

you’re just a mindless fanboy of Oculus.

Mindless is a rather stretch coming from you, considering the types of arguments you type up, and how quickly you turn to ad hominem attacks when the arguments fail you. I'm a fanboy of all things intellectual. This clearly bothers you.

By the way, I do avoid
Facebook for the most part.

This is a Facebook forum, and Oculus is a Facebook company.

VR was supposed to be different.

VR is innovation. And so far, that innovation has been positive.

It was
supposed to be a gaming experience

This is completely false. VR is an immersive platform, that goes far beyond mere gaming.

not another thought control
experiment.

How many thought control experiments have you undergone?

I didn’t realize what a bad thing it was when Facebook
bought Oculus

You've spoken out against Facebook and Zuckerberg from the beginning; painting them in a bad light. So if you didn't realize that something you consider to be bad... was going to be bad when it did more things, then perhaps you need to better assess badness?

but now I’m beginning to wonder if it was a deal with the
devil.

I wouldn't say "now" as if it just started today. You've felt this way for a long time. Over 3 years now. I'm still not sure why you continue to visit this community, considering your feelings.

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/42583/oh-god-even-oculus-is-doing-it/p1

cybernettr
Level 9
 Some people have accused me of being a fan of Palmer Luckey. Actually I’m not. I know very little about him aside from the public facts. I don’t know him personally, I’ve never met him and if I did, he probably wouldn’t give me the time of day.

However, I do find it extremely disturbing that he’s fired from oculus as soon as it comes out that he’s been funding a conservative meme group. All the media outlets report that he was fired because of his political activities. I just checked Wikipedia, and even there it says that the reason was “owing to his 2016 political contributions to Republicans and public support for then-presidential nominee Donald Trump.”

Later, when Mark Zuckerberg appears before Congress and is grilled by Senator Ted Cruz, he lies his ass off and says that Luckey was NOT fired due to politics. I’m not a lawyer, but as far as I know, this is called perjury and it’s a criminal offense. But Zuckerberg will get away with it because he has money—lots of it.  I don’t know, I just got a little pissed off when there is a different standard for the Uber Rich and people like you and me. 

Anyway, I’d better wrap up because I have a feeling the moderators are going to lock this thread in 3..2...1...

Zenbane
Level 16

Anyway, I’d better wrap up because I have a feeling the moderators are going to lock this thread in 3..2...1...

Well you repeatedly break the rules by intentionally bringing up politics (as you just did), and turning every conversation in to a witch hunt against Facebook while using Palmer's name. Hopefully at some point we can get more than just thread locks. After 3 years of this behavior, a ban would probably be a warm welcome.

cybernettr
Level 9
 I’ve never been banned from the forums, Zenbane, but you have. 

Zenbane
Level 16

It's been over a year since I've had a ban, and I guess you spread out your political speech just enough to avoid anything more than a thread lock. Good on you!

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

You are heading that way. Enough of the politics however thinly veiled. Consider this a friendly warning. I'll leave the thread open for now but enough OK ?
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

cybernettr
Level 9
No, I think you’d better close it becuz I’m itching to talk more politics, or better yet, a Zuckerberg memestorm. 

😛