cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Commercial VR Thread (VR in the Enterprise)

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Some History,

I have been dabbling in the world of Commercial VR for some time, with my first venture taking place in the Real-Estate Industry. Using 360 Media to showcase properties (e.g. Commercial Buildings, Homes).

For anyone interested in the hardware/software aspect of this, here are some old posts:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/General/360fly-4k-VR-WebVR-and-HMD-s/m-p/451144

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Thank-you-Stambol/m-p/510860

Fast forward to today, and we have some impressive progress made in Commercial VR across multiple Industries. If there is interest in this topic, then I will do my best to update it with relevant breakthrough information.

First up,  Nimbus Therapeutics

You can download the full White Paper here:

https://business.oculus.com/case-studies/nimbus/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=crm&utm_content=C1&utm_...

The most interest talking point addresses,
Breaking down barriers to improve visualization and communication

The Nanome solution ingests structural data and simulation algorithms from computational chemists like Dr. Whitehead and turns them into 3D visualizations in VR. This allows scientists to physically interact with molecular structures, moving and rotating them to see details that are often missed using traditional 2D software and other simulations. “We create an immersive environment where chemists can build small molecules in the context of a protein’s binding site,” says Sam Hessenauer, Nanome CTO. “It’s like being able to build a key from inside a lock.

Dr. Whitehead appreciates the ability to do immersive design. “Structural biology keeps getting bigger and bigger,” he says. “When you’re looking at complex structures on a small computer screen, it’s taxing on the eye and difficult to move around. With Nanome and the Oculus Quest controllers, I can get inside a structure for a 360-degree view — a few control instructions and I’m where I want to be.”

The VR visualizations enhance communication between the computational chemists designing the chemical structures and the synthetic chemists and biologists who take over from there. Rob Svensson, an expert oncology and metabolism biologist at Nimbus, says, “I spend a lot of time in meetings with chemists looking at slides of compounds, binding pockets, and the interactions they have at the atomic level. Chemists are so fluent in it, but for biologists it can be hard to understand.” When looking at structures in Nanome with an Oculus Quest headset, however, he says, “It’s like night and day. You can actually see the different amino acid residues the modelers are talking about and how potentially you might want to interact with them via a compound to drive selectivity. It’s very impressive.

9 REPLIES 9

Nekto2
Superstar

> If there is interest in this topic, then I will do my best to update it with relevant breakthrough information.

It is.

Interesting to know and discuss real world VR uses.

For Nanome it was "interaction" aspect. It is great one could save a lot of time with transferring info from one person to another.

And... the "presentation" mentioned. If you think on this... there is no good VR-presentation tool yet. The one which is not 2D and has ability to insert complex 3D models you could have close look at (and manipulate). So it could be possible to use Nanome to create a molecular structure and then "copy and paste" it to some VR presentation (with text, images, arrows, highlights etc).

ps btw, are anyone knows what will happen to "oculus for business" device if you will not pay next month/year of subscription? Will it be locked? Or will it work but without management software?

ohgrant
Superstar

Cool thread Zen. I can visualize commercial VR being great for the real estate business. Would be really cool being able to get a general layout of a home without even being there.

Related to that it would be great for kitchen and bathroom design, things that rely on CAD.  I can see one of those house flipping shows, laying everything out in VR before work even starts.  

I wouldn't want to see a 2D add in a unrelated in a game, but I would probably visit any well thought out VR store. There were a lot of stores a decade or so in "second life" things were really evolving great there. There was a basic construction editor that many folks there were selling their virtual creations. I even bought a few. I had a colonial viper and a helicopter stashed.  All good things have to come to an end though. I was using my Z800  and was getting brilliant 3D but when they switched graphics I lost support for it. 

Most retail stores try to maintain a standard layout throughout all stores anyway.  Sure doesn't seem like it would be difficult to have every square inch of a standard store covered in VR, every product and price at any given store by using the zip code, as they do now.  Lots of opportunities there IMO. 

So many learning uses now there is finger tracking. I guess it all comes down to software. I'm sure the developers are willing to get it done. I think it all comes down to business willingness to invest in the developers efforts.      

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

Indeed @ohgrant ! The retail store market is going to be quite fascinating to witness as it slowly (but surely) transitions in to VR/AR. Zuckerberg recently updated Facebook Shops and Marketplace, and specifically mentioned the goal of moving Oculus support (as well as Facebook's future AR platform) in to the retail store ecosystem.

In our current lifetime, we will be able to 'try on' new clothes and see how we look before we buy it... all digitally. Not just a random avatar, but 'the real you.'

Quite amazing to see how far we have come from the days of Floppy Disks and Atari.

There are already apps where you could 'try on' virtual clothes. They are not VR/AR.

Even more, you could get you own specially fitted for you body size.

First of all you need to dress in stretching clothes with dots on it. Next you make some photos with a smartphone in different poses. And... a software is making you model for perfectly sized clothes.

For other markets, you could already have them online. Some of them have 3D model even.

There is one thing... you could not get precise 3D model of every object (say ... vegetables or fruits) the same you will get. There could be 1 model but you will get a little different object. And you need to scan all texts on a packaging to be read.

So you will have other bonuses in VR. Instead of a "cart" you could draw days of week and place virtual food in those days so you know what you will need for every day of week for your meals. 🙂

Great thought!

Have you seen Sansar? It is VR world from "second life" developers. And it has a store of VR objects 🙂

And they had a full copy of a real exhibition for some big company in it. You could see it and listen to voice descriptions.

Nekto2
Superstar

v31 has great feature of creating URL leading to app in specific parts of app (map/room) with a specified person in it!

It could be used same as "zoom link" to join "education lesson" or "webinar"! (need app support)

You could create virtual school even! So you could post a link to your students into Nanome or architecture project or math lesson or physics lesson. That way you need not a single monstrous app for anything to make a great education tool. All you need is to post links for your students to other apps  which are better in their subject (like Nanome). So teacher could prepare contents for a lesson in a VR room inside that app and invite group of people with a link.

Sounds like a great feature! 🙂

If it could be extended with backlinks (with additional data like "time spent in app") and Ajax queries that could lead to web-like world between VR apps!

No haven't checked out Sansar yet, downloading now. Thanks

Gigabyte  AB350 Ryzen 2700x, 32gb ddr 4 3200, 2080ti. HP Reverb G2, Index controllers, Quest 1 and 2x Quest 2. 65" 3DTV HD3D DLP projector.

LivinEasy18
Honored Guest

Hi Zenbane-   I am in commercial real estate  and interested in showcasing my listings in VR in metaverse.  See that you have been posting since 2014. Can we chat? 

A family member has just paid a company to create some designs for an extension which will be presented to her in VR so that she can view it first, ask for alterations...

Engineering is one of the largest markets for XR and has been for many years.  Design reviews etc. - companies are spending (investing) £millions - the larger ones can spend a million on a single LED CAVE.  The good thing - the ROI makes it worth it.

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3