cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The DK2 lenses are TERRIBLE - they scratch far to easily.

Zebrastealer
Honored Guest
I have had my DK2 kit for less than a day and only used the supplied Oculus microfiber cloth to clean the lenses. I had the DK1 for a year and never got a scratch on the lens. This afternoon I thought the lenses seemed dirty, upon closer inspection I was shocked to find the lenses had swirl scratches all over both of them. This is very disappointing and unless I got a bad pair of lenses it is going to be a problem with all the DK2 lenses, no matter how careful people are with them.

Picture of scratches: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4kW5dpki9eMMkN4d1c4UDdOYXc/edit?usp=sharing

I have also posted this on Reddit: http://redd.it/2cdoaz

My advice, please do your best to be extra cautious with your own lenses, they will get scratched but maybe if you are super careful they'll last a little longer. Oculus, you need to come up with a solution for these lenses, they are not durable enough, not for a development kit, and certainly not for a consumer model.
542 REPLIES 542

jamacias
Honored Guest
"cybereality" wrote:
A number of people did receive replacement lenses early on, but we quickly ran out of stock. We planned to get more, but it ended up taking forever. I can let the team know that people are still asking for lenses. Hopefully they will come soon, but the stock may still be limited. Very sorry for the wait.

And we never got lenses, if this is a sign of things to come then well fuck.

aerothunder
Honored Guest
@cyberreality Now when the release of CV1 knocks on the door I want to ask something regarding to this topic: How is the lense size of the new lenses? I just saw, they are not round, they are?

I'm pretty sure the new lenses will be a lot reliable, but I simply want to protect them additionally. Thus I hope you can offer any protection on your shop, because I don't want to end up cuting any protection film with a scissor. If there is no option, I think I have to go for it, though.

NickytheHutt
Expert Protege
The 200€ prescription glasses I have laying on my nose have to be scratch resistant because this:

Though any microfiber cloth has a hardness inferior to the glasses, the surrounding particles that land on the glasses, frame and cloth may have a greater hardness => scratch.

For the expendable lenses of a DK2, I would use a lung blower like I would on my 100-500€ camera objectives. If the CV1 came with a microfiber cloth but no scratch-resistance, it'd be irresponsible.