cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The HTC VIVE thread (please keep to subject)

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_1-1619256907371.png

Post created for the latest news on the new headset releases.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
47 REPLIES 47

I'm so not excited after the cosmos fiasco. I hope the succeed, but for me if they ever came out with great inside out tracking, at least 130 degrees field of view etc. I would have to wait months to see if reviews were good still. I was really poisoned after I saw what happened with the cosmos fiasco. They should have refunded everyone's money on that one. 

^^^That is the only way to do it, never buy at launch, i stuck with my Oculus DKII for a year after the CV1 was released, did the same with the Vive, waited ages for that, same with the PSVR, same with the WMR HMD, did not touch any of them at launch, and the only time i broke that rule of thumb was with the Quest II and i paid the harsh price of £350 for breaking that one rule of thumb. lol

So lesson learned the £350 hard way. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah let's hope for the good of native PC-VR continued development they do it right this time and make some good quality options. What I don't want to see happen is other companies abandoning native PC-VR and going a route similar to Quest.

And then of course since I now have purchased an Index due to arrive tomorrow, I am sure Valve will reveal a new headset any day now.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Well HP did a pretty good job improving their controllers with the Reverb G2, hopefully HTC will follow suite.

G2 Controllers are still not up to Oculus level but are certainly closer than they were.

@OmegaM4N wrote:

^^^That is the only way to do it, never buy at launch, i stuck with my Oculus DKII for a year after the CV1 was released, did the same with the Vive, waited ages for that, same with the PSVR, same with the WMR HMD, did not touch any of them at launch, and the only time i broke that rule of thumb was with the Quest II low and i paid the price for breaking said rule of thumb. lol

So lesson learned the £350 hard way. lol

Pretty much the same reason I avoided purchasing the Valve Index. On top of there not being many PCVR AAA titles to begin with, I wasn't very confident that Valve would release a headset that was ahead of the competition. Glad I avoided spending all that extra $$$ considering the market today.

@Anonymous wrote:

Yeah let's hope for the good of native PC-VR continued development they do it right this time and make some good quality options. What I don't want to see happen is other companies abandoning native PC-VR and going a route similar to Quest.

It depends on whether one would like to see HTC succeed or not. In my case, I think it's high time that HTC recovered from their financial blunders that have plagued them for so many years. They clearly struggled in both the Smart Phone and Virtual Reality markets.

If HTC makes the mistake of going strict PCVR and trying to compete directly with the likes of the Reverb and Index, then they will end up in the exact same position that lead to all their previous financial woes.

I do hope that HTC has learned from there mistakes, abandons the incredibly non-profit-making sub-niche of PCVR video games, and comes out swinging with something truly compelling that drives both mainstream VR, and HTC's profit margins, upwards and forward.

Of course, it's sod law, i wait all this time for a Index and i now have one ordered you know Valve are going to announce a new Index II real soon, no doubt the same week i get it, they will announce a new mode. lol

But i am commited now, so the Index will do for PCVR for the next few years with ease, and moreso because upgrading from my GTX1080 to take advantage of higher specs HMDs looks like it will continue to be a real pain right into 2022 and maybe even beyond, so i am going to leave all that for the time being. ha

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmegaM4N wrote:

Of course, it's sod law, i wait all this time for a Index and i now have one ordered you know Valve are going to announce a new Index II real soon, no doubt the same week i get it, they will announce a new mode. lol

But i am commited now, so the Index will do for PCVR for the next few years with ease, and moreso because upgrading from my GTX1080 to take advantage of higher specs HMDs looks like it will continue to be a real pain right into 2022 and maybe even beyond, so i am going to leave all that for the time being. ha

Lol yeah I am with you there, figured now that I have ordered an Index an updated one will now be offered very soon.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

kevinw729_0-1619807205567.png

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

There is still one heck of an untapped market in PC gaming enthusiasts. Lot of companies are making some pretty big bucks in that industry. VR is a part of it now, but still a very small part. Better optics at competitive pricing will be a key here. Obviously Quest 2 is making inroads there with Facebook supplementing the cost.

I hope HTC will be releasing another native PC-VR headset, and hoping it is better than Cosmos.

I still think there is a big place for native PC-VR to grow in the gaming market, if the companies will put the money into it.