cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The HTC VIVE thread (please keep to subject)

kevinw729
Level 15

kevinw729_1-1619256907371.png

Post created for the latest news on the new headset releases.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
47 REPLIES 47

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

What's proved incendiary in the past is using terms such as invested and serious to describe people (or the sectors they're in), they're very subjective terms when we're all in this for the same thing, entertainment/education.

I'm just heading off arguments before they begin.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19042.964)

kevinw729
Level 15

@Daftn- appreciate your "pre-emptive" efforts in corralling your charges. 
The perceived incendiary term has been removed.
And look forward to your efforts going forward.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Zenbane
Level 16

As a general observation,

Consumer VR involves sectors and activities beyond casual entertainment, such as:

• Military use
  • Educational use
  • Workplace use
  • Healthcare use

Those are effective implementations of serious VR, and it is consumer VR leading the charge in this arena.

B2B VR is still in its infancy, and still struggling to be seen as serious VR.

I am rooting for HTC, because VR needs more competitors. I just wish that HTC would invest more heavily in AAA VR Software, in order to justify the price of their headsets.

Yes, tried to put a Vive Pro 2 in the basket in their EU Store last night, but the site was extremely slow - and crashed several times. So the initial response could be strong... 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Yes, tried to put a Vive Pro 2 in the basket in their EU Store last night, but the site was extremely slow - and crashed several times. So the initial response could be strong... 

I would say that bodes well for native PC-VR enthusiasts.

Nice to see.

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

@dburne wrote:

@RuneSR2 wrote:

I would say that bodes well for native PC-VR enthusiasts.

Nice to see.

Considering HTC's track record, it is likely due to bad website software. A website crashing in the year 2021 simply by trying to "add to cart" isn't something positive. There are plenty of other retailers with sites running "add to cart" in volumes immensely higher than HTC's site. Target, Wal-Mart, BestBuy, and Amazon all perform this very basic functionality without crashing every single day; and their add-to-cart transactions are easily hundreds, if not thousands, of times greater in Volume than HTC's VR traffic.

Considering the basic fundamentals and expectations around technology today, it is more viable to conclude that HTC's site "crashing" is more of a concerning sign. Ergo, if they can't even run an add-to-cart site that is on par with modern-day expectations, then how reliable with their VR hardware/software be?

The overall sentiment here certainly doesn't bode well for PCVR enthusiasts. Especially since HTC isn't even publishing new PCVR software alongside this new hardware release.

Yeah, and i think some may be cosmos users upgrading because i could have bought a almost new Cosmos on Ebay right now for £300 and under at present. lol

A cosmos isn't worth 3 dollars.