cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,409 REPLIES 2,409

Zenbane
Level 16

Speaking of Steam reviews for Alyx, this review is a great example of why PCVR is still not worth the investment for VR Enthusiasts,

Zenbane_0-1620080633413.png

While there are some exceptions to this statement, such as Lone Echo, overall this reviewer makes a very strong point. Lone Echo creates the best VR Experience while Alyx creates the best VR video gameplay, but beyond that... most other titles feel inferior.

It's unfortunate that we don't have enough AAA titles to support PCVR. Which is probably why we're nearing Summer 2021 and STILL only talking about Alyx

Zenbane_1-1620080771313.png

dburne
Level 16

Lol.

Lone Echo = VR Video Game.

Half Life Alyx = VR Video Game.

I never cared for Lone Echo that much myself really, it was ok for it's time I guess. Maybe it was trying to be an "experience" whatever the heck that is.

Lone Echo 2 , whenever it sees light of day, will be a - VR Video Game.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

@dburne wrote:

Lol.

Lone Echo = VR Video Game.

Half Life Alyx = VR Video Game.

I never cared for Lone Echo that much myself really, it was ok for it's time I guess. Maybe it was trying to be an "experience" whatever the heck that is.

Lone Echo 2 , whenever it sees light of day, will be a - VR Video Game.

Nope. Lone Echo is very much an experience, but one would need to understand "whatever the heck that is."

Maybe this will help:

https://www.marxists.org/reference/subject/philosophy/works/us/an-experience.htm

As a random example: Tic Tac Toe is a game, while Chess is an Experience.

Granted, it depends on the person. There's ways to make Tic Tac Toe an experience (e.g. a drinking tournament) and ways to make Chess just a game (speed chess without applying any actual strategy). Yet at their core, it's clear that one is intended to be just a game and the other an entire experience.

I think we've already established, though, the difference between a VR Enthusiast and a Video Game Enthusiast. So yeah, when a video game enthusiast encounters something like Lone Echo - which is a VR Experience made for VR Enthusiasts - then it would make sense that it would be less appealing. Just like someone looking for a quick game of Tic Tac Toe would be turned off if they had to study hours of strategy in order to engage in a proper game of Chess.

I don't think "we" - meaning "you" established anything.

But there you go again.

Anyway my controllers have a nice full charge, back to Half Life Alyx now in my new Index.

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |

@dburne wrote:

Yet you literally just re-confirmed the very thing that was established, when you made this comment:

Maybe it was trying to be an "experience" whatever the heck that is.

So yes, "we" did establish it; where "we" includes you. 😎

Which goes to show, that there are those who are only video game enthusiasts vs those of us who are VR Enthusiasts.

"back to Half Life Alyx now in my new Index."

Enjoy! Alyx is a video game made for the Index video game toy 🎮

@Zenbane wrote:

@dburne wrote:

Yet you literally just re-confirmed the very thing that was established, when you made this comment:

Maybe it was trying to be an "experience" whatever the heck that is.

So yes, "we" did establish it; where "we" includes you. 😎

Which goes to show, that there are those who are only video game enthusiasts vs those of us who are VR Enthusiasts.

"back to Half Life Alyx now in my new Index."

Enjoy! Alyx is a video game made for the Index video game toy 🎮

Feeling all better now? Would you like to keep on degenerating?

Seriously man.

Don

@dburne wrote:

Feeling all better now? Would you like to keep on degenerating?

Seriously man.

It gets too serious in here sometimes. Referencing toys is not a sign of degenerating in any way. I have toy collections that I enjoy. Like my Generation 1 Transformers set.

Regardless, I was talking about a VR Game vs VR Experience, and you decided to engage in the constructive part of the debate only to abandon it when valid arguments were presented. Which is fine, but why bother getting personal as your next trick?

If you know ahead of time that you are just gonna run from the debate and try to get personal, then maybe just avoid the debate to begin with?

If anyone is degenerating the conversation, it certainly isn't me. 😎

Yeah AH:VR is just so much fun, and the workshop adds even more to the game, plus do you have Elite Dangerous, i bet you that glorious FOV really makes the game look just amazing.

@OmegaM4N wrote:

Yeah AH:VR is just so much fun, and the workshop adds even more to the game, plus do you have Elite Dangerous, i bet you that glorious FOV really makes the game look just amazing.

Yes I do, however uninstalled it a while ago as I had trouble really getting into the game. May have another go with it at some point.

Don

dburne
Level 16

So I figure I got probably around 6 hour or so of playtime out of my controllers before they went into the red yesterday. Course I am sure there weren't a full charge. Took about an hour and a half to fully charge them.

Sometime later today my VR Cover for the Index will be arriving. Really looking forward to trying it as I still feel the Index is uncomfortable. I get it adjusted to what I feel is just right for the image but I feel it pressing on my forehead pretty good, like it has very little cushion. I am hoping this alleviates that for me.

Don