cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Just think of it as Euro Truck sim but in space, i have been playing it for years now and i have never fired a single shot as i have no interest in the combat side of things, but doing a delivery run with over 40 jumps with some some background music from say Jean Michel Jarre on Spotify, and your will be in chill out heaven as your traverse its universe, and that extra FOV is really going to take you into that cockpit big time, the OG vive is still my goto for this game due to it having the largest FOV from all my present HMDs, so the Index is going to make that even better. 🙂

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

^^VR covers are great, i had to spend money on replacing that disease carring foam face gasket on the Quest II and the VR cover solved that for me, and even though i only use it as a Oculus Go II these days the VR cover made it more comfortable, and no more eye infections, foam thing gave me a eye stye. lol

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok will check it out again soon.  My preference is combat but I do enjoy some time just relaxing in flying, I also have MSFS 2020. Currently am pretty involved in campaign flying in DCS with the Hornet. Love blowing stuff up on the ground flying carrier ops off the Super Carrier.

Which reminds me I still need to check DCS out in the Index, will do that today but I anticipate I will still prefer Reverb G2 for it.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

^^Oh i completely forgot about FS2020. lol

Yeah that will look amazing on your index.

How do you find the comparison from G2 to Index (screens). 

I certainly like the extra FOV but does the clarity clinch it for the G2?

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luciferous wrote:

How do you find the comparison from G2 to Index (screens). 

I certainly like the extra FOV but does the clarity clinch it for the G2?

I will tell you right now I am thinking I will prefer the Index for made for VR games that use the controllers. The awesome tracking of the Index combined with the larger viewing area would be the reason. This whole unit also really reeks of quality. And the simplicity of only using Steam VR is kinda nice. I am currently SS at 185% at 120 Hz. However resolution is still a little better in the G2 as I run it at 100% Steam VR resolution which is 3172x3100 per eye. Index I am running at 2732x3036 per eye in Alyx.

I still need to test in a flight sim, I intend to do so with DCS later today. I just need to tear myself away from Alyx for a bit. I think I will end up preferring the Reverb G2 for flight sims for the cockpit clarity of the G2 plus of course I use a HOTAS with that rather than the controllers. I will know for sure soon.

At this time I can say I certainly have no regret with my purchase of the Index kit.

I also still haven't tried Elite with the Index (and the Logitech X52 hotas) - I have the Oculus version, so would have to Revive - probably no big deal though. 

Come to think of it, I've only tested the X52 with Squadrons - maybe it's time to push my comfort zone, lol. 

Interesting how MSFS will be with the Index - I wonder how performance will be compared to G2. 

Still too much real work these days, might have some more spare time after tomorrow, sigh. 

Maybe I should just sit down and start peeling off the about 68 protective film stickers on the Strix 3090 tonight, lol, it's time... 🤓

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

That makes me feel better, I was torn between the two.

Yes it is a lovely quality headset, mind you for a 1000 bucks it should be 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luciferous wrote:

That makes me feel better, I was torn between the two.

Yes it is a lovely quality headset, mind you for a 1000 bucks it should be 🙂

Yeah that is for sure.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Seems like all good things come to those who wait, and it's only 3 years late 😂 - The Tetris Effect comes to SteamVR this summer:

More info here:  https://uploadvr.com/tetris-effect-connected-steamvr/

Sure, could have gotten it long ago for PCVR in the Epic Store, but I'm yet to support that Store. 

Even though it sounds really boring - because I already got tired of Tetris using the Amiga 500 more than 30 years ago, Tetris Effect has a massive 90 metascore - very few VR games have that:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/tetris-effect

Guess Tetris Effect might be 144 fps/hz for all Index users - even if you only got a GTX 1060, lol. 

ss_fae1b2cc73ee2fe88009624cc3aeb7d095fcddfb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_b092bab81a77643acb6a90e38a575da13d1c00b0.1920x1080.jpg

ss_ac6591b9c157b71ebb183aa800474c2c926f7c19.1920x1080.jpg

   

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"