cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok the time has come, I am at a good stopping point in Alyx as I am at the same point that always stumps me in the Northern Star. I end up getting it but takes me a bit. Good time for a break.

Going to mount my HOTAS and give the Index a whirl in DCS. Have an F18 Hornet campaign I have been flying and next mission involves several ground target so it will be interesting to see how the Index handles these. Also to compare cockpit quality and instrument reading as opposed to the Reverb G2.

Going to reduce the Index to 90 Hz but leave the same resolution of 185% SS and see how it does.

Looking forward to your report 🙂 

Actually I have never tried 80 Hz with the Index - never really felt like it, lol. I don't like to limbo too much 🤓

This dude has the Index powered by a RTX 3080 - and used 80 Hz locked to 40 fps in MSFS (but he could just choose 120 Hz and then still lock to 40 fps - that's 40 fps x 3 for 120 Hz, might be feeling much better than 80 Hz):

Also check later in the vid with fpsVR running - he's using all of the 10GB vram on the 3080, might benefit from more mem with the 3090? 🤔

Unavngivet.JPG

Btw, in Squadrons I can't do 120 fps or 144 fps with the GTX 1080 - but using 120 Hz may give me 60 fps (60 x 2 = 120) - and 144 Hz may give me 48 fps (48 x 3 = 144) - still better than cutting 80 or 90 Hz in half 😉 So 120+ Hz may be used wisely... 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah with the G2 I use 100% Steam VR resolution and Motion Smoothing locked at 45 fps with great results in DCS.

Going to try the same now with the Index except 185% SS at 90Hz for it.

I would also add with the Index in Alyx, I had no problem at all throwing grenades. With the G2 controllers I struggled a bit throwing them, never could get consistent.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, this app also totally shines with the Index - I just love to fly around, pretty sure it works great against stress and hypertension 😎 The big fov makes a lot of difference, and seeing is indeed believing:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

pyroth309
Visionary

Aircar shines with most HMD's imo. Look fantastic on all of the ones I own.

I didn't have problems with grenades in Alyx but they are a bit more finicky than with my Q2 and CV1(when I last tested it, it's retired).

Aircar probably looks awesome too with the G2. But last week I tested the game with both CV1 and Index the same evening, and the Index was much better due to the increased res making everything in the cockpit much more clear. And the fov helped a lot for the immersion - feeling like you're really in an aircar, lol. Not sure why, but Aircar, Wolfie Cyberpilot and Galak-Z are some games, where the fov really feels big.

Btw, haven't really played the game, seems like you can pick up some stuff and more - usually I just fly around and enjoy the view 🙂 

In case some don't know Galak-Z 🙂

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so the verdict is in for me with the Index and my flight sims.

I spent the afternoon flying in my Hornet Campaign in DCS.

I will be using my Reverb G2 for flight sims. Granted the Index was not bad, and the FOV is really nice to have in flight sims, I mean really nice. Plus that larger sweet spot. However I just don't get that really sharp clarity in the cockpit that I get with my Reverb G2. And that makes a difference for me. I even upped the SS to 220% trying to get it there, but it just was not. It was somewhat close, but the G2 clarity still beats it. I also noticed more shimmering in the distance and more ghosting of planes as they fly by with the Index  which was interesting. The clouds danced around a lot which was not as bad in the G2, maybe be a bug with DCS and the canted displays of the Index perhaps - I am sure they will get that sorted. The clouds are all new with this latest update to DCS.

Ok so I am not disappointed though, I had a feeling this would be how it would end up from the start. If I only used VR for flight sims, I would be very disappointed. However this Index really shines for those made for VR games that utilize the controllers. Half Life Alyx is gorgeous in it, love the larger FOV, and the awesome tracking of the controllers. I am sure I will like it as much with other VR games I play - will be doing another Medal of Honor Above and Beyond playthrough when done with Alyx. Going to check out Boneworks as well.

The only negative with going back to the Reverb G2 for flight sims will be losing that better FOV of the Index. And the larger sweet spot.  Now that I have seen it I want it lol.

I do a lot of flight simming but I will also being doing a lot of VR gaming with the Index. So I am glad I have it.

That's similar to my experience, if you want the best VR experience in different games, today you'll need different hmds. As mentioned I often use CV1 in games where lcd has shortcomings etc. - and not all Oculus games or apps can be Revived.

I'm sure that G2 rules in many games where Knuckles aren't supported - especially if 120 fps are impossible and you prefer res to fov. 

pyroth309
Visionary

That sounds about right dburne.

On my face:

My G2 has a Horizontal FOV of 100 and a VFOV of 114. With Index I had 108HFOV and 130 VFOV. Likewise, my old O+ got 104 horizontal and 132 vertical.  It's the vertical that is most noticeable to me in sims as you can look so much farther down and still see your instruments without having to tilt your head. But, I also can't give up the clarity for that in sims. In other games, the superior tracking makes things more compelling.

I'm not interested in Index at this point due to the age of it but I've got my ears open for an Index 2. We really need a complete package that offers everything togther without the hurdles of pairing G2 to Light house to get good resolution. 

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Seems like all good things come to those who wait, and it's only 3 years late 😂 - The Tetris Effect comes to SteamVR this summer:

   

Tetris Effect is great. Been enjoying it for awhile now in Quest. Although, it is more of a VR Experience as opposed to a VR Game. Not sure it's geared towards gaming enthusiasts.