cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

@pyroth309 wrote:

I'm not interested in Index at this point due to the age of it but I've got my ears open for an Index 2. We really need a complete package that offers everything togther without the hurdles of pairing G2 to Light house to get good resolution. 

Agreed. I would definitely consider an Index CV2, especially if it has Inside-Out Tracking. And considering the patent Valve published this year to do that very thing... I remain hopeful. Being stuck in one room for VR no longer interests me. I love being able to go anywhere with Tetherless experiences; both PCVR and Stand-Alone.

Looking forward to Valve upgrading the Index experience.

pyroth309
Visionary

I played Tetris Effect on PSVR and Q2. It's fun for awhile but unless you're a Tetris enthusiast it gets old rather quickly. Still, I do enjoy dropping in from time to time to kill some time.

I've never tried it, it does remind me a bit of Rez Infinite with the trailer (the lights etc). Well, Steam refunds easily these days if needed! 🙂

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

pyroth309
Visionary

I played the crap out of Tetris back in the day when it was on NES and then again on SNES. (Someone make Dr mario effect pls). I also played it for years on and off with an emulator. If you've never played tetris at all it likely will last longer. It's pretty close to the same but has a lot of visual stuff going on in the background and with the pieces which is cool for awhile.

Tetris VR is probably better advertised as a Meditation App. It's easy to just zone out with all the visuals and music.

This is what happens, you have all these HMDs and if only you could take something from each on you would have the prefect VR HMD. lol

I was the same with the CV1, Vive, Dell visor and the PSVR, i wanted the comfort and controllers of the CV1, the tracking and FOV of the Vive, the 1440x1440 per eye res of the Dell, and the crystal clear no god rays or glare lenses of the PSVR, and you can't wear four HMDs at once sadly. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmegaM4N wrote:

This is what happens, you have all these HMDs and if only you could take something from each on you would have the prefect VR HMD. lol

I was the same with the CV1, Vive, Dell visor and the PSVR, i wanted the comfort and controllers of the CV1, the tracking and FOV of the Vive, the 1440x1440 per eye res of the Dell, and the crystal clear no god rays or glare lenses of the PSVR, and you can't wear four HMDs at once sadly. lol

Ain't that the truth!!

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got my VR Cover in the for Index this evening , got to use it about an hour and first impression it certainly feels more comfy than the stock Index one.

Will have a longer session with it tomorrow and see how it does.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

TechRadar release an article 29 days ago. Seems they, like me, are also looking forward to Valve upgrading the Index experience for Inside-Out Tracking. All of the rumors and speculation in this article are based on the recent publication of Valve's patent for Inside-Out (wireless VR) features.

https://www.techradar.com/news/valve-index-2-rumors-predictions-and-what-we-want-from-the-vr-headset

The Valve Index 2 could be wireless, with wired capabilities becoming optional for some version of the headset. The patent shows three different headsets that explore different options between being wireless and standalone (like the Oculus Quest 2), or wirelessly connecting to a PC.

There are some fantastic VR games out there like Valve’s own Half-Life: Alyx, but a platform can’t be built on just a couple of titles.

No more base stations

Base stations are devices that help the Valve Index, and other headsets like the HTC Vive, track users, their headset and their controller in a room-scale virtual environment. While they made the headset perform well in our review, we hope that a Valve Index 2 would drop them.

Base stations aren’t the worst things in the world, but if you ever want to change up your room - or just dust it and you nudge one of the sensors - you have to go through the whole recalibration process again. It’s tedious and we could do without having to put up with them, especially as other headsets like the Oculus Rift S do fine without base stations.

It would sensible for Valve to make their own standalone options as they are missing out on quite a big market. If they could incorporate that in one headset that doesnt compromise on PCVR quality / comfort that would be great. If they keep a higher price range, they may be able do that.

I wouldnt want to see PCVR go backwards just to incorporate it, im still waiting on a true next generation device.

Maybe they are considering releasing something cheaper aimed at the entry level VR market with less luxury options.

I wouldnt mind standalone as an additional option, movies etc but its not my main interest.

I hope they would make inside / out optional. I hoped that for Oculus though but they opted for a backward step for tracking accuracy and forward step in set up convenience and for me with a dedicated room that does not benefit me at all.  Having tracking worse than my original touch controllers I bought in 2016 wouldnt impress me much.

I agree they also need to invest a lot more in games like Oculus do if they want a standalone steam store for VR. Valve though can be lazy, relying on the weight and popularity of the steam store to encourage developers to adopt. Oculus had to work a lot harder to make their store an attractive option for developers.