cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

The rubber thing for small heads? There's some stuffing for the hmd in case you have kids using it. 

RUBBER-SPACER-image.jpg

Ah ok thanks, no kids to be using it but at least now I know lol. That one had me stumped a bit.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Also Index controllers were directly designed for Alyx - thus if you're not using the Index there's no doubt at all you're not experiencing the game the way it's meant to be played - from Valve directly:

Hmm, nope, Valve doesn't actually say that at all. Valve's comments only confirm what's already been noted... players can crush cans with the Index. Everything else is the exact same as can be done with any other hand-controller on the VR Market.

At no point does Valve state that playing Alyx with a non-Index VR kit deviates from how Alyx was meant to be played. Other than crushing cans.

If Alyx was designed specifically for 120hz and wide FOV (which doesn't even make sense from an engineering perspective), then obviously it wouldn't work on something like Quest 2; yet clearly Quest 2 experiences are being reported as on par with the Index experience. Even the Steam reviews show Quest 2 users giving praises.

So again... other than crushing cans, the Alyx experience on Quest 2 is nearly identical to that of the Index.

You can actually crush cans with touch and wmr controllers too, or you could when I last played. You squeeze with grip and then press either a or x i think it was. Its not as satisfying as crushing things with the index squeeze but you can still do it. 

@pyroth309 wrote:

You can actually crush cans with touch and wmr controllers too, or you could when I last played. You squeeze with grip and then press either a or x i think it was. Its not as satisfying as crushing things with the index squeeze but you can still do it. 

Ah good to know!

It will be awesome when all VR Software supports the Oculus controllerless capabilities. So that we can make crushing gestures with our hands without any physical controllers involved.

Have you tried steam VR labs are there are a few knuckle only controllers things in that can't be done without the knuckles.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

You can with Touch too - but only Index has force-sensitive grip, and will let you do it depending on the strength of your grip, instead of one on/off movement. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Moon Dust too: 

Moon Dust has several mini-games, a fun place to visit, I still use it occasionally: 

https://store.steampowered.com/app/887260/Moondust_Knuckles_Tech_Demos/

- and let's not forget finger tracking which works great - did have some hiccups in the start but last year has been close to flawless:

When you get used to move all your fingers in a game, it really feels awkward, kinda amputated, when you cant. Full finger tracking adds a lot to immersion - even if it doesn't let you pick up more stuff etc.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Having owned a Leap Motion, not sure that would be any good for playing games. Navigation yes brilliant and some apps maybe puzzle games but I like a physical controller for most. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Luciferous wrote:

Having owned a Leap Motion, not sure that would be any good for playing games. Navigation yes brilliant and some apps maybe puzzle games but I like a physical controller for most. 

Yep I am with you there.

Now that I have a few hours under my belt with the Index I am getting more acclimated to the Knuckles controllers. They really are quite good and the tracking is flawless. The more I use them the more I really like them. My biggest thing with them was just adapting to the change coming from Rift and Reverb G2 controllers.

When you're ready to install Revive (if you have not done so), you may find that Knuckles are some kind of magic controllers - using Revive, Knuckles within a few seconds transform into Touch, and I (my brain) really do not notice the difference. It's because of the thumb sticks, and Knuckles 2 x A and B buttons perfectly match Touch A, B, X and Y buttons etc.

Knuckles can work similarly for Wands too, so surely Valve did the most extraordinary job of making Knuckles ready for the future, but also fully compatible with the past.