cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Fun thing - just saw these - although I'm sure I do not need them, they do look cool, love the colors 🙂

riwbozayhex61.jpg

71PDSfcxRKL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

71n8nTa5iIL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

81TS69dsjiL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

40 bucks on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Valve-Index-Controller-Grips-Ergonomic/dp/B08SFPLJ84/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keyw...

    

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

When you're ready to install Revive (if you have not done so), you may find that Knuckles are some kind of magic controllers - using Revive, Knuckles within a few seconds transform into Touch, and I (my brain) really do not notice the difference. It's because of the thumb sticks, and Knuckles 2 x A and B buttons perfectly match Touch A, B, X and Y buttons etc.

Knuckles can work similarly for Wands too, so surely Valve did the most extraordinary job of making Knuckles ready for the future, but also fully compatible with the past. 

I have not given Revive a try yet, I may at some point but not sure I will. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Looks like the Norwegian Index dude dug up some more interesting stuff - but can't fint it on Steam - only on Viveport 😬 😄 

It's here - I think Tom should try it first 😉

https://www.viveport.com/63790c59-83b6-412a-93f8-ca9360eab84f

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

When you're ready, v. 2.1.1 is right here - you may indeed find that many Oculus games and apps work better Revived than with any real Oculus hmd you can get due to res + Hz + tracking + fov (and when having a RTX 3090):

https://github.com/LibreVR/Revive/releases

Maybe even that Lone Echo game could work without crashing when Revived, who knows... 😉 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

More Index 2 speculations:

https://www.techradar.com/news/valve-index-2-rumors-predictions-and-what-we-want-from-the-vr-headset

Seems to be a trustworthy site, at least they got something right, lol:

Unavngivet.jpg

https://www.techradar.com/news/the-best-vr-headset

Quote: "There’s little doubt that the Valve Index is the next-generation VR headset people have been clamoring for: it has an ultra-crisp display that runs fairly well even with older GPUs, a wider field of view, a higher refresh rate and Valve’s 'knuckle' controllers, which can track the movement of every finger. That's why, at least right now, it's our best VR headset for 2021 and our best VR headset for PC owners."

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I figure now that I have finally purchased an Index, Index 2 probably is coming soon lol.

Lol, again I wouldn't worry about it. Might worry about the Vive Pro 2 though 😄

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

I think you are more than safe with the Index for the next few years, hell i am still using my CV1 today so i am really looking forward to getting my hands on one and all the improvments it brings, and i have no doubt it will last me as long as the CV1 has. ha

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmegaM4N wrote:

I think you are more than safe with the Index for the next few years, hell i am still using my CV1 today so i am really looking forward to getting my hands on one and all the improvments it brings, and i have no doubt it will last me as long as the CV1 has. ha

Yeah as I mentioned early on this thing just reeks of quality. I have little doubt it will be in it for the long haul.

Back to Alyx now. Heck I thought when I got out of the building I was done with the Northern Star chapter, guess still got a little ways to go. 

@RuneSR2 wrote:

When you get used to move all your fingers in a game, it really feels awkward, kinda amputated, when you cant. Full finger tracking adds a lot to immersion - even if it doesn't let you pick up more stuff etc.

This is a misconception that is associated more with Gaming Enthusiasts, whereas VR Enthusiasts tend to realize that "hands" are in fact: immersion-breaking.

Immersion comes from the mind. VR experiences that rely on the human body are completely limiting VR's capabilities. Which is why Brain-To-Computer interfaces are going to be the true next-gen experience. We're already seen major breakthroughs in this area, and HTC has been developing this for VR for years.

Gaming Enthusiasts are still too focused on the limitations of the human body (hence the love for bulky controllers like Vive Wands and Index Knuckles). But VR's immersive factor is all about the brain, and expanding the power of the mind.

The more a piece of VR software focuses on the limitations of the human body, the farther away from VR's potential it becomes.

But again: Gaming Enthusiast vs VR Enthusiast.

This is why the Index is far from a 2nd Gen VR HMD. It's a "next gen gaming kit" at best.