cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Also interesting what HTC will do to get nice performance. They must know that no one has 3090s to run the 5K res. One method could be to lower the rendered res to match the physical res - they need to pull some magic. Already now G2 in 90 Hz is extremely demanding, and Vive Pro 2 in 120 Hz could be a lot worse, lol.

So interesting what HTC will do... Official system requirements are fairly low:

"Graphics
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1060 or AMD Radeon RX 480 equivalent or greater.

*GeForce® RTX 20 Series (Turing) or AMD Radeon™ 5000 (Navi) generations or newer required for Full Resolution mode."

The price for the hmd alone over here is $1k - but that is with 25% VAT and 2 years of warranty.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Boneworks does not use dynamic res like Alyx, so here you'll need to set SteamVR res to let's say 200 % to get the best image quality. You'll need to add at least 2xMSAA too - and I think 144 fps/Hz will work perfectly - but I'm yet to test that game. 

The first level is one big tutorial - might be boring - don't give up until you've played at least 3 levels 😉

Sounds good much thanks for that. Got back into my DCS Hornet campaign flying this afternoon with the Reverb G2, may finish that campaign before starting a new adventure in the Index with Boneworks.  Won't be too long, Index deserves a little break for a few days.  If I had only waited a couple more weeks... augh.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@pyroth309 wrote:

On a side note, i bought an index kit to get knuckles and base station 2.0s as that was quickest path. The single base stations are sold out. So im technically an index owner again even though im probably not going to touch the hmd and sell it as unused. Anyone need a spare? Lol

Im intrigued to see how 5k compares to 4k and if there’s significant gains to be made. I think it was Abrash that said human vision is like 16k so should be interesting. 

Lol yeah apparently that was what I was doing, getting the Index kit so I would have the base stations and Knuckles controllers already. At least I will tell myself that...

😅

I guess its a good way to future proof a headset for a while. Plus all the new performance features in Steam VR means you can adapt to suit. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

My knuckles have been dispatched, my knuckles have been dispatched!(Runs home like Charlie Bucket after finding a golden tickert) lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

It's by far the world's best VR controllers - thus a great reason to celebrate even if you'll have to wait for @pyroth309 to send you his spare hmd, lol 😎

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Also interesting what HTC will do to get nice performance. They must know that no one has 3090s to run the 5K res. One method could be to lower the rendered res to match the physical res - they need to pull some magic. Already now G2 in 90 Hz is extremely demanding, and Vive Pro 2 in 120 Hz could be a lot worse, lol.

It can be run in 90hz like the G2 and that's probably where I will run it until a GPU upgrade. I'm also curious what their plan is to help get the most performance out of it without tanking frames. In DCS at 100% for example in the G2 I dip under 45 fps with forced motion smoothing when I fly low in a lot of trees/buildings. I feel like in that game the trade off may not be worth it because I may have to give up too much on the graphics to stay playable. Won't know until I try though.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

It's by far the world's best VR controllers

nah, Knuckles are bulky and require calibration and constant recharging.

The best VR controller is when you don't need a VR Controller. Hand-Tracking > All

Valve knows this as well, and are moving in that direction. Better late than never! 😎

pyroth309
Visionary

I still consider the OG touch my favorite VR controllers. Built like tanks, perfectly balanced, super comfortable in the hand, protective finger shield even though it's not intended for that lol, capacitive finger tracking for the fingers that matter most...and tracking as good as anything else. I just never loved the constellation system and had too many problems with mine with USB. Likely something with my motherboard but cables would randomly stop working for me over time. I probably went through $200 bucks in cables alone with CV1 over the years.

That said, Index are closest to them to me. The grip feature is nice, the additional finger tracking is cool for gesturing but not really functionally more useful than touch in many if any games.

I like hand tracking of the Quest 2 and it's nice for surfing the web and such but I prefer having something in my hand for gaming. Quest 2 does offer a nice feature set though of having that and the newer touch which fall short to me compared to OG touch, but are still really good.

But yea, I also hate the batteries in Index controllers, I said it about them and Vive both. The built in battery sucks. You almost gotta have two pairs to keep continuous play in long sessions and I'm not paying that lol. Touch with a single AA lasted forever and can be used forever as AA isn't going away. What happens when the battery in Index declines and doesn't hold a charge long anymore? It can't be replaced that I'm aware of so another $270..if you can still find them.

Ha, i will use them with my OG vive for the time being as it has won me all over again, god the Oled in the OG vive is so good, i was trying that bioshock mod for Alyx on it and it is just stunning on the OG Vive, the brightness and colour depths, deep hues and vibrancy of that those oled panels are all like sugar for my eyes. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.