cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

@Luciferous wrote:

It appears there are no moderators left on this forum who want to action against you Zenbane and those that do are your friends. Its clear now the rudest inmates are running the Asylum.

Listen, the only one truly breaking the rules here is you. With your constant personal vendetta. You have repeatedly launched personal grudges against me, hoping that I'll engage in some insult-fest with you. It's obvious you're doing it to try to get me banned. And it's obvious that the restraint I show against your futile attempts is angering you.

As for the Forum Moderators... they are even-handed to everyone equally.

Not once have I seen a Moderator give you a public warning for your constant derailment of threads and personal remarks. Not once have I seen a Moderator give Rune a public warning for his constant antagonization of Oculus and this Community. The Moderators give everyone the same amount of freedom to express themselves.

The fact that this thread even exists is a testament to how friendly the Moderators are to users with an open grudge against Oculus.

Just because the Moderators refrain from being used as a weapon to ban people you don't like doesn't mean that they are playing favorites.

It was sad day you joined this forum in 2016, your toxicity and aggressive behaviour has basically killed the forum community spirit.

When I joined the forum, it was toxic to any Oculus users. The forum was filled with HTC Vive users insulting Oculus users on a daily basis.

No Oculus user could keep a single Oculus related discussion on the main page. And don't act like it didn't bother you, because back then you were one of my biggest fans! You upvoted every one of my battles with the anti-Oculus crowd. There was a time where you and I became friends because of my "behavior" with those who flooded this forum with disdain towards Oculus consumers.

But now that you also share the same grudge against Oculus, suddenly you want to distort history. You're so quick to abandon truth.

You keep saying you don't want to get dragged in to a grudge with me, yet you keep making these silly "Zenbane callout" posts. Now you're saying you are leaving the forum... and I'm sure that will be just as truthful as everything else you've said.

I have no interest in a grudge with you. The days of epic forum battles are over. The sooner you can realize the truth, the happier you'll be on the forum. 

@Luciferous wrote:

Like the Elves I shall dwindle into the West or something along those lines 

Dude... Elves aren't real. The truth bro, embrace it. Cheers.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Seems like something is brewing in the depths of the Mines of Moria 😁 - Thanks to Kevin for finding and posting this image!

191064433_310577337227026_216759661001996078_n.jpg

https://www.galea.co/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

^^^Has there been a revision of the Index as i see one with a front grill type facing and one with a smooth shiny front facing. what gives?

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@OmegaM4N wrote:

^^^Has there been a revision of the Index as i see one with a front grill type facing and one with a smooth shiny front facing. what gives?

I got my Index kit about 6 weeks or so ago, and it has a smooth shiny front faceplate.

As far as I know, all Index hmds are model 1007 and look similar - but you can remove the front plate, paint it, put stickes on it etc.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Ah i see, so the shiny faceplate comes off and you have the grilleffect and front gap showing, got it. 😉

Yes, some did quite incredible work on the face plate:

pn21sqzqok841.jpg

or get some vinyl 🙂

EV-IYBtWAAAQtB_.jpg

- Btw, Valve does mention that you should be careful when returning hardware for RMA, because you usually don't get any of your parts back. In fact Valve recently published this in the Index Subreddit trying to find the owner of this special face place:

uq7z7z9eyqz61.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/nes3mv/i_need_help_retuning_this_to_the_owner_its_from_...

If you remove the face place the Index looks like this:

akrales_190625_3507_0056.jpg

There's an USB port which can be used for many things (ChillDex fan, add a usb drive etc). I prefer to have the face plate on though, looks much better 😉

HMD_6.jpg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

SteamVR 1.17 has been out for some days, but maybe a good idea to make a post about it. New stuff:

Full Update Notes

SteamVR:

• Fixed bug in Desktop View that caused tray size to jitter.
  • Added ability to add individual window views in Desktop View.
  • Added ability to dock views to left and right controllers and to see them in-game.
  • Fixed cursor rendering crash in Desktop View.
  • Improved window/desktop button section horizontal scrolling in Desktop View tray.
  • Fixed bug that was leaving windows with highest z-order after interacting with their window view.
  • Disable window resizing and minimizing when window view has focus.
  • Improved warning text for rare (display related) headset error.
  • Added ability to reposition docked views on controllers.
  • Allow users to spawn non-overlapped windows.
  • Improved handling of users minimizing windows with an active window view.
  • Fixed laser mouse length to be consistent with desktop and window views.
  • Fixed flickering bug with mouse cursor locking on click.
  • Desktop View keyboard can be used across any view and toggle button state gets correctly updated when user dismisses keyboard with "Done" button.
  • Fix per-app motion smoothing setting being hidden for Windows Mixed Reality headsets. Also exposed the global setting for them. Details: Headsets that use their own compositor have the current settings communicated to them, but it is up to the driver author to handle them. WMR for SteamVR does respect these settings. The Oculus driver does not (there is no API in the Oculus SDK to control ASW at this time), so the Motion Smoothing controls will remain hidden for Oculus headsets, and those users will need to continue using Oculus tools for adjusting.

Per-application Video Settings:

• Field of View – Allows trading off peripheral vision for increased clarity (e.g. reading glasses). This works by using the same total render resolution to draw only a smaller subset of the scene.
  • Override World Scale – Enables adjusting the perceived scale of the world (e.g. to get the size of an aircraft cockpit to feel just right, or help short people reach tall places).
  • Note: In both cases, applications may cache values related to these features, and therefore may need to be relaunched for new settings to be fully applied properly. WMR headset users will need to opt into the beta version of Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR.
  • Override World Scale: Added "fine" and "extreme" slider ranges.
  • Reorganized layout, and marked certain settings as advanced or hidden if not applicable (e.g. Legacy Reprojection Mode is only shown if Advanced settings are enabled, but is also hidden if using an Oculus or WMR headset where that setting does not have any affect).

OpenXR:

• Fixed hand tracking joint poses mismatch with controller pose.
  • Fixed menu button not working for Vive and WMR controllers.
  • Match Oculus grip and aim poses for touch controllers.
  • xrCreateSwapchain will now return XR_ERROR_SWAPCHAIN_FORMAT_UNSUPPORTED if the provided swapchain format is not on the list of enumerated formats.
  • Added support for XR_COMPOSITION_LAYER_UNPREMULTIPLIED_ALPHA_BIT.
  • Added support for XR_COMPOSITION_LAYER_BLEND_TEXTURE_SOURCE_ALPHA_BIT.
  • Hand tracking extension now uses unobstructed/open hand motion range as default.
  • Implemented Hand tracking extension for "with motion controller" poses (new in OpenXR 1.10.16)
  • Eliminated long delay before returning failure when an OpenXR app inside an app container calls xrCreateInstance but SteamVR isn't running.
  • Fix for HP Reverb G2 thumbstick input not working.

Vive Pro:

• Fixed SteamVR crash when using room view over Vive Pro wireless adapter.

Vulkan:

• Fixed 32bit Vulkan applications intermittently failing to submit textures.

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/games/250820/announcements/detail/3021332002084697042

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

^^^That Doom faceplate is a work of art.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

And finally the Index is now available in Australia! Well, sort of - not sure how expensive this is...

Unavngivet.jpg

Get it here: 

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/pc/231700-valve-index-complete-vr-kit

EDIT: My currency converter says that's US$ 1,475.00 - so not totally ... cheap ... *cough!* 😉 But it's US$ 1,250.00 in the EU, so only $225 more Down Under...