cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Note that Valve has just begun to sell replacement parts for the Index - thus you don't have to buy two controllers if one fails after the warranty has expired - and you can now buy a new cable:

457t.jpg

42356t.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Looks like production may be ramping up now.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

That would be good news maybe they can get closer to keeping up with the high demand.

@Anonymous wrote:

That would be good news maybe they can get closer to keeping up with the high demand.

There's no evidence of high-demand. It's a fallacy to believe that "out of stock" means the demand is high.

Some folks on reddit seem to get it at least.

"I was browsing this subreddit and was just thinking when something hit me, basically 50% (exaggerating and a guess) of the people that own an index and are on this subreddit RMA their products. Most of the time they get a replacement. Maybe that is the reason why it's taking them forever, because valve has to constantly send people replacement items."

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ewdlop/possibly_a_reason_for_the_index_being_out_of_stock/

In a separate thread this week, @OmegaM4N chastised Facebook because they botched the first wave of the elite strap. So where is the chastisement for Valve botching all their hardware?

It's likely that the Index is out of stock due to all the RMA'ing defective products. Even Rune just posted about this issue,

"Note that Valve has just begun to sell replacement parts for the Index - thus you don't have to buy two controllers if one fails after the warranty has expired"

Perhaps the Index is "in stock" again because so many existing units fell out of Warranty, so now Valve can stop with the RMA'ing and start charging for replacement parts. Seems far more logical than the false assumption that Valve can't keep up with high-demand.

Yeah i suspect there are tons waiting to treat thermselves to a Index once this pandemic is under control. 😉

@OmegaM4N wrote:

Yeah i suspect there are tons waiting to treat thermselves to a Index once this pandemic is under control. 😉

The Index was released in June 2019, and the pandemic didn't start until around March 2020. We can't really use the pandemic as an excuse. Especially since the pandemic didn't prevent the Oculus Quest 2 from out-selling every other HMD 😉

Not to mention that Valve spent most of their time post-release dealing with faulty controllers, RMA's, etc.

But yeah, now that the pandemic has calmed down, we get to continue watching those Steam Survey stats. Lets see if it's true that "tons" of Index units will suddenly get sold. 😎

Btw, there's a nice intro to Steam 1.17 just published here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-vr-field-of-view-fov-update/

Sigh, still waiting for Valve to return the hmd, and even if I love the CV1, there're many games and apps I greatly prefer with the Index, and the days are starting to feel ... long ... very long .... And can't even buy a spare hmd, as the hmd alone is still sold out. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Btw, there's a nice intro to Steam 1.17 just published here:

https://www.pcgamer.com/steam-vr-field-of-view-fov-update/

👍

😎

Nice!

As a flight simmer I can see that override world scale being handy.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, have been giving this game some thought:

RTX isn't new, but with Series 30 we may finally get enough power to see next gen VR games - with supported raytracing. Never thought I'd see any VR game with such advanced features so soon.

I was thinking that Index may be a good choice for such games, while hmds with higher res may be challenged delivering sufficient performance. Interesting how it'll turn out. Not sure 144 fps and res 200% will be possible even with 3090, lol, - then again, maybe DLSS can work some magic!

The game is now 50% off on Steam, but needs a gamepad. I just bought the game. 

Good things come to those that wait. 😉