cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

And you're using 120 Hz and have 120 fps?

I'm born suspicious of the performance of 5K res hmds, but maybe I'm silly - I'm constantly using 17 to 18 mill pixels per image anyway (CV1 ss 2.0 or Index res 200%).

So why don't I just get the VivePro 2? Basically I'm quite happy with my dual (Rift CV1 and Index) setup. I don't like to retire a perfectly working Index hmd, and I'm happy with the image quality and performance. 

I don't like to add more software - my VR rig is totally clean, not even Office, only things installed are Nvidia driver, Oculus desktop app and Steam - hard to keep it more minimized. Ok, did get infected by the Origin launcher program too 🙂

That said VivePro 2 would be my target if my Index failed - but now is not the time, so many games and apps I need to test, to see the differences comparing GTX 1080 and 3090, and need not to introduce more variables. Having spent 4 weeks with RMA, it means I've had very little time to test the 3090 and Index combo.

Do keep writing about VP2 vs Index, you always have my full attention 🙂

Yeah where the Vive Pro 2 really shines for me is in my first love - flight sims. I think folks sometimes forget there is a really large community of simmers that are very much into VR. These are games that are perpetual - it is not a typical game that has 20 hours or so of playthrough, they are endless. And it really is a large community as can be seen by some of the larger hardware manufacturers and how busy they keep getting product out - flight sticks, throttles, pedals, racing gear. It is these kind of enthusiasts that Valve, HTC, HP, Pimax, etc. tend to cater to. Heck even Microsoft got back into it software wise with their MSFS 2020 sim in a big way.

The Reverb G2 was awesome for sims , and now the VP2 is just as awesome plus all the other made for VR games look fantastic in it. And I so love that Lighthouse tracking to go with it.

I think it was the Vive with the gear vr mod that showed a lot of people that each HMD pair of HMD vr lenes are set for that individual HMD because each set of lenes made have miniscule degrees of difference as to how light hits and passes through them, so in fact every HMD is indeed unique in some way, oh and i went back to the original vive lenes as the eyes strain from the gear vr ones one was out of this world. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Valheim VR mod with the Valve Index - and there're girls too 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Hmmm, this game is right now the 6th top-selling SteamVR game:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/554870/SUPERHYPERCUBE/

It only supports Index and Vive - no support for Oculus hmds nor WMR. Anyone tried the game? Looks too much like GearVR to me - and the price seems rather high, but I could be wrong, maybe it's an awesome game...

ss_c782f585a33a7bd64a3bf81ad758bc1d570bf7be.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4da0c6252546b3ac4a243843e10f55f4afdf45eb.1920x1080.jpg

ss_759d0fe1dc075319ccaae6befa780ffb54be4176.1920x1080.jpg

ss_c249c834ef341ea164992cb0542d79aedf2903fd.1920x1080.jpg

    

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

A great in-depth article about the Index speakers was just published - and of course sound is extremely important for immersion:

https://develop3d.com/product-design/gold-standard-tectonic-audio-and-valve-team-up-on-vr-sound/

Tectonic-Audio_img-2.jpg

Quote:

"One example is a beloved and popular YouTube channel called Linus Tech Tips. In August 2019, Linus uploaded a video called “Maybe VR isn’t dead after all…” in which he reviewed the Valve Index Headset.

He was initially ambivalent about the speakers, but after a day of using the headset, Linus was impressed. “They actually sound shockingly good!” he said, somewhat incredulously. At the end of the video, Linus holds up the Valve Index Headset and looks directly into the camera, saying: “This is absolutely the king of VR gaming headsets.”"

I don't fully agree with Linus. For the Index speakers to totally shine devs need to design the sound effects and music for the Index speakers. If they dont, the Index speakers may lack bass - but when devs do, like in Alyx, I've never heard better sound in VR than the Index speakers. 

For games and apps clearly not made for the Index speakers, I greatly prefer the CV1 headphones. 

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

^^^Sound is very important to the immersion of VR, no doubt why i still use the Vive with the Deluxe headstrap as the speakers on that are awesome, that is my goto PCVR HMD at the moment with the Knuckles, and the Cv1 for my Oculus store games, and let me just add the CV1 speakers are also still way ahead of their time, but i am now waiting to see what the Index II has to offer, may as well at this point. ha

Anonymous
Not applicable

I myself have never had a headset where I preferred it's sound over the sound from my Creative sound on the PC.

Rift CV1-RiftS and Quest- Reverb G2-Index-Vive Pro 2.

My preference is earbuds which do really good isolating the external sound and seems more immersive to me, like the sound is coming from all around me rather than in front of me or over my ears. Just a personal thing for me and realize I am in the minority when it comes to this.

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

^^I do use the earbuds with the PSVR just because they connect to the headstrap and they do work and are easy to use, but if i had a choice it would be over the ear phones all the time. 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

when i get my index ima throw my rift s out my window

That's your choice 😉 Personally I would not do that - there still are several games not working (optimally) with Revive. Might be a good idea to hang on to the Rift-S for some months just in case... Also the lower res of the Rift-S might be your friend in some games - depending on your gpu. 2c.