cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Interesting info on possible Index 2 tracking...

Quote: 

1000 Hz Markerless Inside-Out Tracking for Index 2 Revealed in New Patent

Key Points:
  • Basically, Lighthouse 3.0

• Markerless inside-out tracking (no Lighthouse base stations needed)

• (IR) LEDs on HMD and Controllers

• Photodiodes on HMD and Controllers which can detect direction of incident light

• 1000 – 2000 Hz positional tracking of Controllers relative to HMD

• 30-90 Hz positional tracking of HMD through one front-facing camera

• Backwards compatible with Lighthouse v1 and v2 base stations

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ovo717/1000_hz_markerless_insideout_tracking_for_index_...

Not holding my breath for anything right now - fully satisfied with the Index and the awesome/perfect external tracking. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Took a few shots of Aircar - using Index res 250%. That game/app looked simply stunning with res 250%. First I thought I may not be able to do more than solid 90 fps, but 120 fps worked perfectly too - didn't try 144 fps. 

download (5).jpg

Aircar - the perfect way to cure a stomach pain when you've eaten too much! 🤣

Now, Aircar is special - can't say I didn't feel it in my stomach when first starting the 120 fps res 250% show, but that's probably very realistic and exactly what I'd be experiencing sitting in a real Aircar, lol. 

download (4).jpg

Rs 250% with the Index, I wonder if these settings are fully implemented in the shots - but I don't see any jaggies...

It's the one game where I could want to use a Vive Pro 2 or Reverb G2, but I'm fine with the Index. I got 6 of the turbo thingies last night...

Btw, seems turbo pressing the B button on the left controller only works after you use the Aircar Index controller configuration in your SteamVR controller settings.

I did about 45 min of Aircar last night. My stomach is now forever cured of any motion sickness 👌 👍

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1073390/Aircar/

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

@RuneSR2 wrote:

1000 Hz Markerless Inside-Out Tracking for Index 2 Revealed in New Patent

Key Points:
  • Basically, Lighthouse 3.0

• Markerless inside-out tracking (no Lighthouse base stations needed)

• (IR) LEDs on HMD and Controllers

• Photodiodes on HMD and Controllers which can detect direction of incident light

• 1000 – 2000 Hz positional tracking of Controllers relative to HMD

• 30-90 Hz positional tracking of HMD through one front-facing camera

• Backwards compatible with Lighthouse v1 and v2 base stations

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ovo717/1000_hz_markerless_insideout_tracking_for_index_...

Yup, I have been excited about Valve's new headset since this news hit back in February. Although I think this reddit comment nails it,

Honestly, we have plenty of headsets, but not much in terms of actual games to play.

That aside, it sounds like the Inside-Out tracking technology Valve is moving towards could in fact be superior to the existing version:

Angle Sensitive Sensors

The main difference between the current photosensors and the new ones is that the latter can not only detect if they are hit by light but also from what direction/angle that light is coming from. This is achieved by packing multiple (e.g. 4) photodiodes together in a small enclosure. The enclosure has a small pinhole in front which allows light to enter. Depending how much of the light that goes through that pinhole falls on which of the 4 photodiodes the angle of the incident light can be determined (Fig. 8 on page 9 of the patent). The photosensors can also determine from which light source / IR LED they are hit. This can be done by time multiplexing (switching on and off the light sources one after the other, e.g. like with Lighthouse v1), wavelength multiplexing (having different colors of IR LEDs) and frequency multiplexing (illuminating the light sources with different frequencies, e.g. like with Lighthouse v2).

Granted, my favorite thing about Valve's approach is that their inside-out headset is compatible with their external tracking system. This is something I wish Oculus had done, by allowing Quest to work with those external Rift cameras.

In the end, though, it proved unnecessary but it is still a "nice to have."

Anonymous
Not applicable

I will certainly be very excited when all the information on Valve's next headset is made available and when it will be released. What we are learning so far - I am very encouraged by.  They just may knock one out of the park.

Heck Lighthouse 2.0 tracking is absolutely incredible.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Had a pretty awesome experience last night, namely this game: From Other Suns - released Nov 14 2017, 21GB size:

Never really played it using CV1, because even if the game looks like cheap PSVR graphics, many places I got reprojections using CV1 ss 2.0 with the GTX 1080. 

Now imagine Reviving this game - Index res 200 % - using the brute force of the RTX 3090 - and now I got perfect 90 fps, even upping the in-game antialiasing to the max (level 4, had it on level 2 before). Maybe 120 fps res 200% will work too, didn't test that. The game looks awesome, even the lcd blacks - graphics are *much* better than recent low-end Quest of PSVR ports. Because From Other Suns is a real Oculus exclusive PCVR game (it's not available for other platforms, not even PSVR). 

This is what you get using the Index res 200% in totally solid 90 fps with the RTX 3090:

FoS_02.jpg

Before you go on - how many polygons do you think are used for the ball? - And check out the reflections on the ball's surface too - this is true PCVR

FoS_01 (1).jpg

Maybe this image is a bit boring - but again note the reflections and the poly count is nice too

FoS_04.jpg

Check out the awesome dynamic shadows in this shot - focus on the robots in the central part of the image to really see the shadows. The game has great volumetric lights and fog too. 

FoS_03.jpg

Even if this game may look close to PSVR, models do look nice/great

The game does not seem to use temporal antialiasing, but devs didn't write which kind of antialiasing they've used. The game does not look blurry with antialiasing, so my best guess is that MSAA was used.

Again, to find really great PCVR games these days, we may have to look back instead of forward. Really love I've saved this game for a time where I can experience it in ways impossible just a few years ago. 

Revive works perfectly, Knuckles totally become Touch. All buttons match. The game has an average rating of 86 % based on nearly 1,000 ratings in the Rift Store, thus that's a really high and solid rating. Get the game here:

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1226573594029268/?locale=en_US

Unavngivet.JPG

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Never really played it using CV1, because even if the game looks like cheap PSVR graphics

Several members of this community went through full runs in From Other Suns back when it was released. It's a great game to complete. I would have to strongly disagree that this game contains "cheap PSVR graphics." That is just far from true.

Especially the final area, where the aliens and their world look quite detailed and amazing. Not to mention the alien infested ships that look quite terrifying. The detail and textures were fantastic.

The images in your screenshots look great, but in truth they do not look any better or worse than what I experienced on a mere 980. Including lighting and shadows.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Just tried this low-end Quest port Revived with the Index, and although it's one of the better Pistol Whip expansions, it quickly feels similar to all other Pistol Whip levels. I got solid 144 fps using a massive res 300%, a complete waste of the RTX 3090 - maybe I can even do res 400% in 144 fps with this phoneVR-like game, lol:

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Seems not many can afford upgrading from Quest 2 to the Index, but this dude just did and fun to read his impressions:

Screenshot_20210814-085931_Reddit.jpg

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/p3b6pi/one_hell_of_an_upgrade/

The Index is extremely awesome, but especially powered by the brute force of the RTX 3090 or similar fast gpus.

Cross-posting the "I sold Product A for Product B" is always interesting, but it doesn't really speak to either product. There will always be pros and cons, and people will always sell one for the other.

There's plenty of reddit posts of VR Enthusiasts selling their Index for a Quest 2. Like this user:

After 2 weeks of using my quest 2.. I've now sold my valve index.

Being wireless has seriously changed my whole opinion of VR.. I used to really dislike getting tangled up in the cords.. I didn't like how cumbersome it was just to get setup to play with all of the above head wires and just wires in general. I can pack this up and take it on vacation with a ton of games at my finger tips.. no need to bring my gaming laptop with me..and even bring it with me when visiting family and friends to enjoy as well.

I'm now re-buying some of the games i own on steam..and that is totally fine. I did manage to get VD/Alyx working on wireless.. enough to finish the game which made me happy.

https://www.reddit.com/r/OculusQuest/comments/l8sj7y/after_2_weeks_of_using_my_quest_2_ive_now_sold_...

But cross-posting this stuff doesn't seem to serve much purpose other than to ignite the good 'ol Console War rhetoric. 🤔

Anonymous
Not applicable

Got a charging stand for my Index controllers. Had been meaning to get this and kept forgetting about it, so finally remembered long enough to order one. Gives me a nice way to set the controllers on and easily charge both with one cable running to the stand. I have the USB plugged into a port on my powered USB Hub with individual on/off switches per port, so I can easily turn it on for charging and off when done. No plugging/unplugging involved each time I want to charge them.

I figured these great controllers deserved their own stand as seems I will be using them for quite a while yet with the Vive Pro 2.

HiUnT3Q

This is the one I got:

https://www.amazon.com/Magnetic-Charging-Holder-Organizer-Controller/dp/B08SBXJG8Z/ref=sr_1_4?dchild...