cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable

Never really occurred to me to do anything with it.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Chronos works close to perfectly using Index res 400% and highest in-game graphics settings 😮 

I really don't think Chronos can get much better - of course you could get more real res with G2 or Vive Pro 2, but G2 has less fov and bad controllers. Maybe Vive Pro 2 is the winner with Knuckles - but the Index sound is awesome. 

Well - I'm more than happy for the Index res 400% - no more jaggies (or close) - mostly solid 90 fps, only saw very few dips below 90 fps, but even with an oc'ed RTX 3090 res 400% isn't exactly free, lol. Or maybe explained in another way: the game using Index res 400% performs about twice as good as when I used CV1 ss 2.0 (which was 45 fps ASW 2.0) with the GTX 1080 - and that says almost everything 🤓

Click to enlarge (all shots = Index res 400%):

20210912000244_1.JPG

Index res 400% - also see the dynamic light from the torch (and the shadow from the torch)

20210912000440_1.JPG

Nice dynamic shadows again - textures aren't that good in Chronos, thus getting more res might not be that important, especially when the view distance is low. Note how sharp/clear objects are in the background.

20210912000637_1.JPG

Awesome environments - clear and without jaggies. Maybe more physical res would be nice here, still the game looks beyond amazing with the big Index fov

20210912000917_1.JPG

Game is quite a lot like Dark Souls... 

20210912001053_1.JPG

Another nice room - with no jaggies

20210912000505_1.JPG

I never get tired of those great dynamic shadows

Chronos with Index res 400% is one of the most impressive VR games I can think of, combining great graphics with an amazing story and gameplay. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

@RuneSR2 wrote:

you could get more real res with G2 or Vive Pro 2, but G2 has less fov and bad controllers.

Chronos is a 3rd Person Perspective game that is best played with a Gamepad. Hand controllers have no benefit with a game like this. In fact, using any hand-controllers (including Knuckles) would be more of a disadvantage due to how this game's combat system was developed.

I would say that the G2 and possibly Vive Pro 2 would provide better visuals; same with the Quest 2, since the Quest 2 has less Glare and SDE than the Index. Chronos has so many gorgeous environments that it really needs to be enjoyed with the least amount of Glare and SDE.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

I'm not that fond of all these rumors - I'll believe it when or if Valve announces it:

"Valve reportedly developing standalone VR headset codenamed ‘Deckard’"

https://www.theverge.com/2021/9/29/22699914/valve-deckard-standalone-vr-headset-prototype-developmen...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Yup, this strategy should be obvious since stand-alone is where the big money is at in VR, and Valve does enjoy making money. Not to mention that they issued their patent for Stand-Alone quite recently.

I'm excited to see what Valve puts out as their Quest competitor. If anyone can create a proper headset to compete against Quest, it is Valve.

This is good news for the Devs on the Steam Platform as well. Since PCVR is such a small market, those Devs were probably operating at a loss. I have heard as much from multiple PCVR Devs first-hand.  Between Quest and "Deckard," VR developers can finally enjoy a money-making model. 😁

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Further Deckard rumors, was just thinking how much I miss oled last night, well, we'll see - but if PSVR2 is oled, surely others might follow:

Updated info dump on the Valve Deckard

Valve Deckard LIVE Q&A - I figured out EVERYTHING! - YouTube

• 2k/4k per eye, Micro OLED panels. They might be rotated to allow wider FOV

• New Qualcomm, custom made chip in the frunk for standalone capabilities

• Headstrap is swappable, if you want WiGig or a higher end computing unit

• AR capabilities

• Might release sooner than later, manufacturing facilities for the lenses and display are ready

• Evidence in the software that it can be used with the Steam Deck to split rendering

• There's also mention of a "tablet"

• It could be used with their supposedly future console

• Varifocal lenses confirmed, apparently with support for an OpenXR option that communicates depth for objects

• Updated controllers with the same joysticks as the Steam Deck, no more drifting

• Updated sensors for finger tracking

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/pzfn79/updated_info_dump_on_the_valve_deckard/

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

This sounds like it will be a defining standalone VR headset - as we see many Quest2 users moving to a tethered/wireless PC solution, rather than just the mobileVR offering.

With this latest news, a Standalone Index PC VR solution would be a serious opportunity in the market:

kevinw729_0-1633262290955.png

https://uploadvr.com/valve-index-second-most-used-headset-on-steam/

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Anonymous
Not applicable

Certainly will be very interesting to see what Valve comes out with and when.

I think they saw my post on Reddit 😂

Unavngivet.jpg

Or maybe they just noticed what I and many more did... 🙂

I did post a few places 

https://www.reddit.com/r/virtualreality/comments/q0et99/index_got_a_nice_boost_now_the_2nd_most_popu...

https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/q0esy5/index_got_a_nice_boost_now_the_2nd_most_popular/

Being the 2nd most used headset on steam sounds nice, until you realize that both Index and Rift-S are both at 17% usage... despite the fact that Rift-S is a discontinued headset.

Valve probably isn't very happy that their flagship VR HMD is barely competing with something that has been discontinued. Which is likely the reason they are full steam ahead (pun intended) on stand-alone. 😁