cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Does seem strange they don't want cable or link box back - when I returned the Index hmd, Valve also wanted the cable back. Hope it works out for you. 

Yeah I heard back from support who told me the RMA was for the headset only , not to send the cable or link box. And they said not to worry if it was the cable they will send me a replacement. Not sure how they are going to figure out if it is the cable with me not sending the cable.

Oh well maybe it is in the headset and they will discover that when they get it back. One can hope.

So I am sending only the headset.

Still enjoying gaming with the Index, maybe will wear some of that new smell off of it now.

When discussing the Index - and other hmds - it's of course extremely important to note that we're all using gpus that close to no one are using. Before getting the 3090, I was using CV1 and Index about 50% each, but the last months I have not been using the CV1 much. 

The 3090 means that I now can increase res so much that TAA blur affects less games. And I get solid 90 fps - so I don't have to accept bad motion smoothing anymore. My previous GTX 1080 was 2-3 times slower, and even if it was heavily oc'ed and matched a RTX 2070 Super in VR, it was forcing me into using ASW 2.0 and motion smoothing in many games. 

Enabling high-res and solid 90 fps has made the Index shine like never before - but this is also a testament to how important it is having a gpu that kinda matches your hmd. Users of let's say a Rift-S and a GTX 1080 or RTX 2060-2070 may be better off keeping that hmd instead of getting an Index, Reverb G2 or Vive Pro 2, unless they don't like the tracking, fov and/or sound. 

We'll that was many words just trying to say our recommendations in here might be heavily biased by running RTX 3090s, lol. (If I still used the GTX 1080, I'm quite sure I'd be using CV1 for Lone Echo 2 and not the Index.) 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Yea, Definitely. If you still have an old GPU then CV1 makes a lot more sense, as does Rift-S. I also don't recommend using quest link with a card older than 2000 series if you care about sharpness because the newer encoder makes things look better. It looked blurry on my 1080. I can't speak for AMD's.

pyroth309
Visionary

I look forward to having G2 like sharpness with Index peripheral vision/FoV and Quest 2 convenience. I think Deckard and likely Quest 3 will check most of the boxes I care about and we'll be closer to one that does it all.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok so Vive Pro 2 is on the way to HTC in Seattle via Fed Ex.

Hopefully they get me sorted.

Just had a go in MSFS 2020 with the Index, I sure miss that cockpit clarity I was getting in the Vive Pro 2 with it. Well at least I can still fly in VR whist awaiting for my hopefully fixed VP2.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Fun thing, I guess UploadVR reads my posts, lol, but I've said it for long that we do not need more hardware, we need more high quality content - and UploadVR now says the same:

https://uploadvr.com/pc-vr-new-content-editorial/

Btw, had a totally awesome experience with Gnomes and Goblins today - using Index res 400% I got solid 90 fps using Ultra settings! And the game looked fantastic - much better than CV1 - and all blur was gone! With CV1 I can do ss 2.0, but not 2.5, if I want solid 90 fps. But how can I then get solid 90 fps with Index res 400% which is much higher than CV1 ss 2.5?! No clue apart from native Steam drivers working better with extreme res than Oculus native drivers. Totally amazing getting 90 fps with an incredible res 400% in this normally very gpu demanding game.

So I don't need more hardware at all it seems, but I'd love more Alyx class content 🙂

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

"If we want to go forth, we have to look back" 😉

In these Questified times, full-blooded PCVR AAA-ish games aren't numerous - but some of the older games may shine like never before using extreme res. Mage's Tale is another example - using Index and res 150 - 200% the game was very blurry and I found it unenjoyable using lcd. Now I just tested it with res 400% - and got nice performance (some dips below 90, might go for res 300 - 350 %), and the blur was totally gone - the game has razor-sharp image quality and shines like never before. I took a few shots:

20211114002427_1.JPG

The secret to this shot is to focus on the ceiling, click to enlarge the image - can you see the incredible sharpness even on very distant objects? This is provided by extreme amounts of super sampling (this is Index res 400%, about 35 mill pixels per frame for both eyes - or twice the res as Rift CV1 ss 2.0)

20211114002203_1.JPG

Golden statues no longer look like made of melted plastic

20211114001948_1.JPG

Textures look jaw-droppingly good

20211114001939_1.JPG

Hands look awesome - and check out the floor textures

20211114001923_1.JPG

Stones look like real stones

I'm probably only about 50% through Mage's Tale - really happy I didn't finish it already. The game is 27GB, so it's bigger than Lone Echo 2 😉 Surely those totally amazing textures are taking up much space.

The big fov and the sound quality really make this game shine on the Index too - and the game was made for external tracking. 

If this game launched today I really don't think it would bow to anyone, the British humor is awesome. Using Index and extreme res, this feels like a new game - immersion and presence just reached a new level. 

     

@RuneSR2 wrote:

In these Questified times, full-blooded PCVR AAA-ish games aren't numerous - but some of the older games may shine like never before using extreme res.

     

Ah, back to using antagonistic phrases like "Questified" again? I thought we were beyond all that by now 😂

@RuneSR2 wrote:

but some of the older games may shine like never before using extreme res. Mage's Tale is another example - using Index and res 150 - 200% the game was very blurry and I found it unplayable. Now I just tested it with res 400% - and got nice performance (some dips below 90, might go for res 300 - 350 %), and the blur was totally gone - the game has razor-sharp image quality and shines like never before. I took a few shots

     

I completed this game when it was first released and it was never blurry nor unplayable. It looked amazing on the Rift CV1, and looks even better on the Quest. And remember, Quest has better improvements with Glare and SDE than Index.

Should we call anything with noticeable Glare and SDE "Indexified" too? 😋

Making the graphics better doesn't improve the gameplay experience. However, if someone truly wants to revisit some older classics and enjoy them in ways like never before... then dropping the cable and going tetherless is the real game-changer. Simply increasing the graphics quality offers nothing new in the overall experience itself.

These are the images I loaded from my lower-end machine, and the game looks fantastic.

Zenbane_0-1637013078494.jpeg

Zenbane_1-1637013091927.jpeg

Here's my full review of the game for anyone interested:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Mage-s-Tale-Review-Spoilers/m-p/718773

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Fun thing, I guess UploadVR reads my posts, lol, but I've said it for long that we do not need more hardware, we need more high quality content - and UploadVR now says the same:

Many people on this forum have been saying that exact thing for years. The phrase "software is king" goes as far back as 2016 when most enthusiasts on this forum discussed Hardware vs Software needs in VR.

It's great that you agree as well. But it's a bit odd for you to suggest that it was only you saying it and Upload VR read and stole your idea lol. Search the forum history. We've all been saying it for 5 years.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Seems Index is coming back down under - but you probably need to be very quick 😎

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/pc/231700-valve-index-complete-vr-kit