cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable

@DaftnDirect wrote:

I didn't say that you did, and my comment was a reply to support, not to you.

No but you said "something we don't need to get into troubleshooting" so I was just clarifying on my end I was not looking for that with my post.

Lord knows I have asked for enough help over on the Vive forums and some others. This would certainly not be the appropriate forum for that I know.

Ok by 'we' I meant us on the forum support and admin side, members can talk about anything and troubleshoot amongst themselves for the non-Oculus stuff.

I definitely think a small restructure to the forum is needed though. It helps both you and all the Oculus users to exclude hardware they're not interested in when searching for solutions.

It may be that support set up alerts based on certain terms appearing in threads, which then trigger input from them so a non-Oculus section or separation in some other way may be something they find helpful too.

pyroth309
Visionary

Isn't that what a General forum is for? I remember the old description used to say all things VR or something similar. There's already specific Oculus forums to discuss things related to Oculus products. But hey, whatever solves your disdain for non-oculus discussions.

Anonymous
Not applicable

To be honest that is kind of what I thought - there is already a Rift forum, a Quest forum, a Support forum, Games forum, etc. I figured the General forum was really for anything in general about VR that would not specifically apply to those other forums. It is nice that Oculus allows discussions of other headsets and technologies, however they want to have it listed.

We used to discuss everything in a pretty balanced way, which was great.

Non headset specific general VR related discussions tend to still be that way, pretty open and balanced.

However, a few people don't like the Quest, pure and simple and it shows in their posts, both in this thread and in several others. It's perfectly fine to not like particular hardware but if someone isn't interested in a Quest, how useful is it to the forum to use this thread as a forum within a forum to express that? It's definitely not about the Index anymore.

I think for me, if there is distain, it's for using the forum in that way. Discuss whatever you want, and if anyone doesn't like the Quest, don't buy it. But consider who the forum is for before repeating how awful stand-alone is, or whatever, as seems to be the case (and I'm not talking about you pyroth). New members are joining the forum in large numbers and at increasing rates and they've joined because of the headset they've chosen to buy. We need to keep this in mind.

If we all discussed general subjects in the way we used to, it would be great, but we don't. As I say this thread isn't about the Index anymore, it's a proxy, and that's not so good.

If there are good reasons not to have a separate non-Meta headset section, I'm all ears, as my avatar demonstrates, but I can't see how it wouldn't benefit everyone including people not interested in Meta headsets.

The general section would still be prominent, as it should be given the large diversity of the subjects there, but Vive or HTC headset topics, for example, would be less prominent. But shouldn't they be less prominent given the forum demographic and reason for it being here? and the way these things are becoming a bit divisive?

The worst thing would be a ban on non-Meta hardware subjects which is how some other manufacturer's forums handle it, such as Corsair. That's just a bad outcome.

@pyroth309 wrote:

Isn't that what a General forum is for? I remember the old description used to say all things VR or something similar. There's already specific Oculus forums to discuss things related to Oculus products. But hey, whatever solves your disdain for non-oculus discussions.

I've been around General Forums since the late 1990's. Anyone else who has been around General Forums that long knows that they are absolutely positively PRIME... to be used as weaponry against the community 🙃

From the old VN Boards to Blizzard's Battle.net Forum... every sites "General" forum is the one stop shop for Flame Wars. That is just a given with hundreds, if not thousands, of examples throughout the history of online bulletins.

Afterall, the following topics are about "all things VR" and do fit the definition of "General"

• Facebook VR is the worst VR
  • Quest is not real VR
  • My VR > Your VR

That is all 100% valid for a General VR post.

We can't really ignore the fact that General forums are the perfect hub for trolls and the voice of the "anti."

Think of all the members banned from this forum over the last 5-6 years. I would ask you, in all sincerity, which forum were they on specifically that lead to their banning? The Games and App forum? The Rift forum? The Developer forum? The Showcase forum? Nope to all of that. Heck, even the Off Topic forum has been free of controversy.

For as long as I have been a member of this forum (Summer 2016), this General forum has been the one, and only forum on this entire site that has given rise to controversy and bannings.

I agree with dburne's comment here:

I figured the General forum was really for anything in general about VR that would not specifically apply to those other forums. 

Yep, this is the true purpose of a General forum. As such, it is the responsibility of the Admins of the Forum to ensure that we have adequate specific categories to represent major topics. Thus, to the point @DaftnDirect is making: We should have a forum for Non-Oculus headsets so that the General forum isn't being overtaken by that topic so heavily.

Not to mention that is painfully obvious that this thread has been used to artificially advertise Index and native PCVR as being vastly superior to Quest and Stand-Alone. Which is a fine opinion to have, but it's been at least a solid year of making that statement ad nauseum with this thread being the ammunition against Quest and Stand-Alone. If we aren't gonna put a timeline on "okay we get it, enough is enough though," then we should at least organize the forum better to reduce the noise.

None of that should be seen as a "disdain for non-Oculus products." It is quite the contrary: An intelligent and mature way to give those voices with a disdain for Oculus products a more direct and non-intrusive platform.

😊

@MetaQuestSupport wrote:

Hello there, thanks so much for your feedback! We take feedback/suggestions seriously to help improve our products and customer service experience. To ensure that your voice is heard, please feel free to click here to submit suggestions. Thanks! 🙂

Thanks! I have submitted the request for a new Forum category to be added for non-Oculus headsets. I think it would go a long way to organize forum discussion and allow for these conversations to happen in ways that prompt much less controversy. Cheers!

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest-2-and-quest/suggestions/44500707-oculus-foru...

Anonymous
Not applicable

Hmm so the General Forum will only be about Oculus headsets.

With all due respect - if the predominance of the postings in General are non Oculus headset related postings, there might be other things going on... Or else most of the Oculus headset related postings are being done in the appropriate Oculus headset categories and this is the result of that. 

I know oftentimes I check the General forum after being away for several hours and there are hardly any updated threads. So perhaps there are more Oculus related postings being done in the other categories related to them so it seems like the other headset postings in General are overwhelming the others.

The only reason I chose the Index thread to express my frustration with my Vive Pro 2 was I was not sure if it would be well accepted me starting a Vive thread plus the VIve Pro 2 does share the same Lighthouse Tracking of the Index.  And as it turned out both Vive and Oculus are struggling some with Windows 11 which was interesting.

But hey I do appreciate Oculus allowing these other headset discussions to take place on their forums. VR is still very much a small niche and I view that as a good thing for the industry overall. If Oculus determines another forum should be created for that great, at least they still allow it.

I love VR and I love all kinds of VR headsets. In fact I really have too darn many as it is. I need help. I'm a VR addict it would seem.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Zenbane wrote:

@MetaQuestSupport wrote:

Hello there, thanks so much for your feedback! We take feedback/suggestions seriously to help improve our products and customer service experience. To ensure that your voice is heard, please feel free to click here to submit suggestions. Thanks! 🙂

Thanks! I have submitted the request for a new Forum category to be added for non-Oculus headsets. I think it would go a long way to organize forum discussion and allow for these conversations to happen in ways that prompt much less controversy. Cheers!

https://oculus.uservoice.com/forums/921937-oculus-quest-2-and-quest/suggestions/44500707-oculus-foru...

Might have just the opposite affect... would remain to be seen.

Hopefully some others might not view it as an open ground to really start trashing... well you can imagine.

This thread was made by Techy111 who is or was an official moderator in here - and if an official Oculus forum moderator thought this thread belonged under General, of course fine with me. Personally I don't care where the thread is placed - I placed the Steamdeck under Off-Topic. 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"