cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Agreed @Ryanality - some media are sating "Nintendo will be quaking at the news"! I don't see Nintendo ever getting worried. They are an exclusive house, and a very controlled ecosystem. This GabeBoy feels more like a second bite at the SteamPC concept, now as a handheld. Regarding the Index2 - that may use similar firmware and even rock the SteamOS chipset for the VR streaming capability, but I think that is about it.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

I guess the SteamDeck would be able to run simple VR games just fine - also note that I made a thread for the SteamDeck here some hours ago:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Off-Topic/Valve-s-new-SteamDeck-arriving-Dec-2021/td-p/876855

Earlier we did see some Valve patents showing a possible wireless connection, but my best bet is that Valve isn't targeting VR with the SteamDeck - or they might have mentioned it already 🤔 But I do love surprises - and compared to XR2, the SteamDeck is a slightly more powerful device. Quest 2 (XR2 SoC with the Adreno 650 gpu) is rated at about 1.25 TFLOPS while SteamDeck is rated at 1.6 TFLOPS (more info about Quest 2 TFLOPS here: https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-2-benchmarks/ )

- but we're still a long way from PCVR (GFXBench resuilts):

RuneSR2_0-1626452779168.png

Source: https://uploadvr.com/oculus-quest-2-benchmarks/

While users may enjoy most of their Steam 2D games using the SteamDeck in 1280x800 that might not exactly be the case for all the VR games, even if some may work. I also do wonder how well SteamDeck will run the more demanding pancakes, but maybe better to continue that discussion in a SteamDeck thread...

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Ryanality
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great share! I figured someone would look into it while I finished my coffee 🙂 Let's take the discussion over there and leave the Index thread in peace. Sorry for the spam everyone who wasn't interested!

Help others find great discussions and answers by adding kudos and marking solutions to your questions.

Yes, Techy111 is also a hard mod, he already closed the Index thread once - I always fear the worst when we take a detour 😉 😁

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

I am not too sure how i feel about the next Index possibly going hybrid, because after trying the QII with streaming and PC link it became quite clear that those two ways simply cannot offer the same top level of performance and picture quality as a dedicated DP does by default, and it is hard to go back two steps on this matter, so i don't know about the Index II at this point.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

I think after the the CES HTC demonstration of the Qualcomm Streaming VR capability it was inevitable that the high-end VR systems such as Index would go for a hybrid approach. If the rumors are true even the PSVR2 has that capability, so allowing the "PC Master-race" to embrace standalone VR. Would not be surprised if the questPro is a means to try and jump on this bandwagon. 

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

After all those years, I think I finally got Robo Recall right 😊 🤓 (btw, after getting the new rig, my save games were gone - but I made a copy of my old user folder and found the save games in User/AppData/Local/RoboRecall.) 

Before I got the new rig, Robo Recall has been somewhat difficult for me with the Index and Revive - not that the game didn't work, but Revive seemed to take quite a large performance toll. Thus I ended up with my heavily oc'ed GTX 1080 (which scores like a RTX 2070 Super in OpenVR Benchmark) only being able to use Index res 100%. And Index res 100% doesn't look very good - then I'd greatly prefer CV1 ss 2.0 with some nice ASW 2.0. I ended up never playing Robo Recall with the Index. 

With the brute force of the RTX 3090 the world has changed. Yesterday I started the game for the first time - now using 120 Hz and res 200%. I maxed out all in-game settings including 4xMSAA. Note that Robo Recall, unlike for example Defector, Stormland and Asgard's Wrath, does not use temporal antialiasing (TAA) and therefore looks totally sharp using the Index. I did notice some drops below 120 fps in the game, and of course knowing I could only do res 100% with the GTX 1080, going to a massive res 200% and to 120 fps may be pressing my luck, lol. Robo Recall was designed for 90 fps, but it works flawlessly in 120 fps, didn't test 144 fps. I do prefer optimal image quality in this game, and lowering Hz to 90 I got solid 90 fps with res 200% and maxed out settings. Being a bright game, this game profits little from oled and looks great with lcd (didn't notice much difference coming directly from CV1 to Index, also for color saturation). 

Maybe a RTX 3080 can also achieve solid 90 fps with Ultra settings and Index res 200% - but my 3090 couldn't keep up 120 fps, indicating a need for very beefy gpus for this kind of performance and image quality. Thus this level of gaming requires about 30 teraflops of rendering capacity 😉 

That's simply the most impressive experience I've had in Robo Recall - did a long dance with Odin (a boss in the game), but got him in the end. Due to the summer my VR room in the basement has heated up, and that Odin fight did cause me to sweat for one of the first times in the Index hmd, lol. 

With res 200%, solid 90 fps, close to no SDE, big fov and perfect tracking, Robo Recall plays better using the Index than even CV1 ss 2.0 - but CV1 is still awesome, and now also works in perfect 90 fps due to the RTX 3090. 

As a thought experiment, try to image you've never seen this game before - and imagine you now watch the trailers for an upcoming PCVR game :

Having seen many VR games, to this day very few are better when it comes to graphics and content. Surely you'll be teleporting a lot, but this game needs it - you can't run and jump fast enough if smooth locomotion was provided, or devs would have to alter the gameplay a lot to fit smooth locomotion. Also games requiring teleportation are few these days and may even make Robo Recall appear more fresh and unique - for those never having tried the game before, lol 😉 

I'm still far from having completed Robo Recall, really glad I saved the game - feels like I can finally enjoy the game close to as good as possible (ok, I might repeat that when we get RTX 5090 and new 8k hmds with 200 degrees fov 🤔). 

Some screenshots showing PCVR in all its glory - or close 🙂

Robo_Recall_OC3_A4_screenshot_03.jpg

Poly levels are extremely high - and round objects look .. round! 🙂

thumb-1920-810174.jpg

Enemies and weapons have great design and high-res textures (ok, not 4k-ish like Alyx and Boneworks, but still very impressive) - and the physics when grabbing robots are impressive

Robo_Recall_OC3_A4_screenshot_05.jpg

You can use two guns simultaneously

byp6ho6wdcqdnxr0cox6.jpg

Another example of environments

zzg67szx0pfkux5bb8yi.jpg

Check out the number of high-poly enemies - and they all got awesome dynamic shadows

The sound is great too - didn't think the bass was weak even coming from the CV1. And tracking was perfect. Coming from the CV1 my brain did need some re-training to learn to really grab the guns and not just push a button. The game is now a solid 9/10 to me. 

I am going to be all over the PSVRII just for that Oled, and that thing is going to be a beast and very cost effective seeing as you will be able to get a PS5(£450) and a PSVRII (£400) for the cost of one  RTX3080 these days. lol

Plus the PSVR II might be cheaper than that £400 though but i doubt it will be any more as the PSVR was £299 at launch here in the UK....plus i have my GOW ltd Pro and the present PSVR to trade in towards them both, so for me both are going to be very good bang for buck. 🙂

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

@OmegaM4N  - I think many feel the same way.
I do not want to derail the Index forum, so will make this quick and if more people want to discuss this in another discussion, but the new patents from Sony [image] about the augments tele-conferencing in VR using the new PSVR2 make me very interested in what they are planning. Just a surprise no VR media in the West seems to want to report this?

kevinw729_0-1626530939490.jpeg

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

117674424_2375462122750020_6025890847574211089_n.jpgdownload (6).jpg

Check out the poly count, dynamic shadows and those textures - this is PCVR at its very finest! 😍

I just tested Furious Seas with the Index - also see this thread for more info and trailers about the game:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/The-Furious-Seas-are-waiting-out-of-Early-Access-today...

This review contains much technical info about settings, Hz and res which only is relevant for Index users, thus consider this more a tech guide for Index users to the game.

Right now I'm totally blown away, and slightly seasick, lol. Had the most awesome moment actually having to duck to avoid an enemy cannon ball hitting my head - while sailing the pirate ship.

Furious-Seas-4.jpg

I used Index res 200% - which is very demanding in this game, but looks fantastic. Also used highest in-game setting, and then 8xMSAA. That was slightly optimistic, lol - in 120 Hz I got reprojections - also in 90 Hz. But no reprojections lowering MSAA to 4x (8xMSAA seemed to work in solid 90 fps in-game, but maybe better just using 4xMSAA - keeping the res 200% is the most important).

download (2).jpg

The ropes and the sails make dynamic shadows on the ship, and same for npcs etc. - it looks awesome, but can't be seen in this image though due the night time

Thus my settings: 90 Hz, 4xMSAA, res 200%, Highest graphics setting.

Totally felt like sailing a small pirate ship - some dude wrote that this game has the best water in any VR game. Ok, maybe Subnautica is slightly better at the menu screen, but you get the idea. Totally AWESOME water.

Now to save performance (I guess), not all things run in 90 fps, but waving your hands you can easily tell if you got solid 90 fps or not. I would not recommend 120 Hz for this game - 90 Hz seems perfect, then there's more headroom for eye candy like more res or MSAA.

Even using res 200% you can see difference between 4xMSAA and 8xMSAA, but 4xMSAA is quite good. In the heat of battle you don't notice any difference, lol.

Thus system requirements aren't totally spot on saying you just need a GTX 1050 Ti for this game. A RTX 2080 as the minimum is probably more realistic. Also the new version takes up 17GB, not 8 like said on the Steam page. Download size is only 5.4GB though.

download (3).jpg

There's no such thing as too much gold 😉

I only tried singleplayer, and battles were great. Like Battlewake, this is more arcade oriented gaming than a sim, but I'm not much into cumbersome sims - here you have easy access to awesome entertainment. The vibes from Pirates of the Caribbean are all over this game. Also while Battlewake looks cartoonish - Furious Seas looks like the real thing (and that's why your need a beefy gpu).

Furious-Seas-5.jpg

You'll encounter quite big ships, but you start with smaller vessels. You can even shoot holes in the sails - I perforated some sails so much they looked like giant thin sheets of Swiss cheese in the baffling winds   

Need to play it more, but so far few VR games have impressed me more. Awesome dynamic shadows on everything, looks like cloth animations too (for physics) - high-res textures making surfaces look real (or close).Index controllers are shown as Wands, but everything worked perfectly. Didn't notice after a few seconds. Great force feedback when holdering the helm (helm = the pirate steering wheel on the boat).

Sound is great too - although the game lacks intro/menu music, but you get music etc. in-game.

download (4).jpg

This is the closest I've ever felt to being aboard and commanding a real pirate ships, my greatest thanks and applause for the devs! Can't wait to get back on the ship! (I think the kids need to sleep very early tonight, so I can get some more time for *cough!* myself)

download.jpg

download (5).jpg

download (1).jpg

The game has been in development for more than 3 years, and it shows - in a great way. My rating: an easy 9/10 for now. A must-have if you got the rig and the hmd 😉

GDC18_BestInPlay.png