cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

So you're playing on Hard difficulty? Guess there's that Lightning Dog coming up soon, good luck with that/those 🙂 

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

So you're playing on Hard difficulty? Guess there's that Lightning Dog coming up soon, good luck with that/those 🙂 

Hmm would have to check but I think I am on normal difficulty.

Guess there's room for another playthrough then 😉 Did play a few levels on hard, didn't feel that much different, maybe there's just less ammo... 

Did you try the C17YSCAPE?

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Guess there's room for another playthrough then 😉 Did play a few levels on hard, didn't feel that much different, maybe there's just less ammo... 

Did you try the C17YSCAPE?

Not yet, will do that after I am done with this playthrough. Gives me something else to look forward to.

I wanted to see Alex in all it's glory with the Index, and it sure has not disappointed. 

Plus you still got the A:HL Workshop stuff to try in the game,

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yeah I totally forget about that, guess I will have to also check it out here soon. Much goodness to be had in Alyx for sure. 

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Figured I better check if the Index is working perfectly before removing the drives from the old rig - and it did install perfectly. 

120+ Hz in res 200% worked perfectly (Steam also suggested that I used 120 instead of 90 Hz, again I really don't think Index was meant for 90 Hz), but haven't tried to push anything much yet. Surely this will be a game changer compared to 90 Hz. Seems like the RTX 3090 is an awesome match for the Index, although the GTX 1080 also worked great in most games - but using 90 Hz.  

One small advice when setting up Index for the first time - especially when the Index has been set up before and base stations are in sleep mode - make sure base stations are running before trying to install the Index

When you start to install SteamVR on a new rig with sleeping base stations, then SteamVR can't find them nor wake them up. I had to go to one very dark corner of the world to unplug one (corner behind my desk) 😬. Also nice to get some cables untangled... I guess... 

Unplugging og re-plugging base stations will fully activate them - so that's why they don't remember the sleep mode 😉 I'd be in big trouble if they did 😉

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

An new Alyx map Pyromantic Gatekeeper is getting a lot of attention - rated just below C17YSCAPE - does look great, might try it later:

More here: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2431703917

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even more goodness for Alyx, thanks for the heads up.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

(Steam also suggested that I used 120 instead of 90 Hz, again I really don't think Index was meant for 90 Hz), but haven't tried to push anything much yet. Surely this will be a game changer compared to 90 Hz. 

Quest 2 supports 120Hz as well. Although, 120Hz isn't actually "changing the game" for any HMD. It's just getting reports of "smoother" visuals in specific situations (e.g. like rapidly swinging your arms).

The real "game changer" for Valve will be when they release their new Inside-Out tracking HMD. Until then, the game will remain unchanged as the only advantage is somewhat nicer colors and slightly smoother transitions.