cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,680 REPLIES 2,680

RuneSR2
Level 16

Seems Undead Citadel is still alive, lol - can't wait to try the demo next week! Jump to 0:40:

Check out the Steam Fest next week: 

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/nextfest

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

OmegaM4N
Level 11

Sam and Max, that's a blast from the past.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Seems Undead Citadel is still alive, lol - can't wait to try the demo next week!

Looks cool, but per the Moderator's request, shouldn't posts like this end up in their own thread? Seems we're still needlessly bumping this thread with non-Index specific information, and essentially using this thread as a "forum within a forum."

RuneSR2
Level 16

Probably the weirdest Index mod/frunk-use I've seen so far. According to the dude who made it, it's to offer 1) front protection and 2) increased cooling:

ZKDYOeT.JPG

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/ValveIndex/comments/ny4g0t/cooling_frontal_protection_and_weird_alien_looks...

I've never felt that the Index was any hotter than the CV1 - and I've even never removed the Index front plastic. But maybe there are some internal temp differences, as the CV1 is easily fogging up the lenses, while I've not even a single time experienced that with the Index. 

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB

RuneSR2
Level 16

Btw, I do wonder what Valve means by "Native Index Support": 

435t.jpg

https://store.steampowered.com/sale/valve_index_featured_games/

Clearly "Native Index Support" does not necessarily mean finger tracking support as many of the above games do not have full finger tracking support, although some do. 

I'm more thinking that these games are especially tuned for maximum Index performance on the driver level? Would explain the totally awesome performance I got with the GTX 1080 in the above games. 

This is also a reminder about getting the Museum of Other Realities now, when it's free, if you have the Index, as it's one of the apps with native Index support. More info about the Museum here:

https://forums.oculusvr.com/t5/Games-and-Apps/Museum-of-Other-Realities/m-p/870975#M81440

List of games with native Index support that you can experience in solid 90 fps and SteamVR res 200% (about 18 mill pixels per image) with GTX 1080 (or RTX 2070 - the desktop model, not the weak laptop model)  - while I still can remember them, lol - are:

• Boneworks (even with 2xMSAA)
  • Museum of other Realities (might go down to 45 fps with motion smoothing a few places, but no big deal)
  • Compound
  • Space Pirate Trainer
  • Until You Fall (might have to reduce the MSAA slightly)
  • Fujii

- probably also Vacation/Job Simulator, Jet Island, SuperHot, Fruit Ninja and Gorn, but I have not tried these games using native Index drivers, only through Revive. Not even sure I've bothered testing these games with the Index, as Vacation Simulator is something only my 9-year-old son plays. Pretty sure I Revived Gorn in res 200% with solid 90 fps though - before I upgraded to the RTX 3090. 

Thus even if you don't have the fastest gpu, there are many games working perfectly using the Index and the mindblowingly awesome res 200% for optimal image quality. At least in 90 hz. 

OmegaM4N
Level 11

^^No doubt means the index 144mhz mode as default with those games.

> Btw, I do wonder what Valve means by "Native Index Support"

> No doubt means the index 144mhz mode as default with those games.

I could be just "laser pointer is pointing to the correct direction" 🙂

So ... developers are correcting for the new controller rotation angle instead of supporting hand pose for old controller.

Or supporting "grip" button for "take object" instead of using main button for everything (like devs do with vive controller often).

RuneSR2
Level 16

Hope my hmd is coming soon - Support just wrote:

Unavngivet2.jpg

I do hope the Gods can forgive me for trying to turn a nearly 2-year-old hmd that most people would think works perfectly into a brand-new one 🍀 But I really need to see/test if those columns are on all Index hmds! 

OmegaM4N
Level 11

What happened, did your drop your index?

If you don't want it i will take it off your hands for 20 bucks and a very nice Casio watch?  😉

Lol, no - never dropped it. My hmd had these columns that can only be seen when moving the hmd and when seeing certain colors. Seems DBurne and Pyroth could not see them - and my warranty expires in July. If I wanted to do something about the columns, it was now or never. So I RMA'ed the hmd due to the columns, and Valve accepted. Now it'll be interesting if the new hmd also has the columns. Many say that all lcd hmds have the columns to some extend due to the panel tech, but not all notice them. 

Lcd columns, click to see full size image:

U-lrrPN0XoYt5qeTQeUwaLlkzOAwkblC9sKKIqhVR6M.jpg