cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

pyroth309
Visionary

On another note, I picked up this because I was getting concerned with plugging in a USB C cable all the time for charging. These have little magnetic usb dongle things that you just drop in and they start charging on contact. Nice and compact storage for them.

71upQ%2BtsYCL._AC_SL1500_

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08SBXJG8Z/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, glare does seem the same comparing the old (July 2019) hmd with the new hmd. But I have much experience using the right hmd tilt angle etc, and with my anti-glare coated glasses I'm really not bothered by glare - but of course I can see it when looking for it, similar to the CV1.

Having used the CV1 for a month, it's really great to have the Index back. Also the new hmd totally has that "new car smell", lol. But I also quickly noticed the usual lcd shortcomings, so really glad I still can use the CV1. I think The Persistence Enhanced is a CV1 game to me. But the more bright games belong to the Index 🙂

Btw, noticed lenses were dialed all the way in (or close) with the new hmd, pretty sure lenses were all dialed out with the old hmd.

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Yea there's only so much it can tilt. I've got it as good as it can possibly get for best FoV and center of Sweetspot and minimal glare.

I'm still skeptical Anti-Glare coated glasses is doing anything for you other than preventing your lens from reflecting the light coming from the Index and creating additional glare. Would love to see some data or hear from multiple users if that actually works or not. Glare probably just doesn't bother you.

For me, the glare is quite blinding in some scenes but in normal gameplay it's fine. I also keep my eye relief all the way up to my eyes for max FoV.

I'm also completely convinced that my first headset had worse glare but I got one from the very first batch. It may have had issues.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

This thread now has more than 40,000 views - nice to see. I guess we may thank Uncle Google for that, lol. Also we have collected quite some info in this thread 😎

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

This and the RTX thread are keeping this forum alive these days. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Yeah, I guess Conan was right! 

RuneSR2_0-1624180021914.png

Mongol General: Hao! Dai ye! We won again! This is good, but what is best in life?

Mongol: The open steppe, fleet horse, falcons at your wrist, and the wind in your hair.

Mongol General:  Wrong! Conan! What is best in life?

Conan: To crush the Combine soldiers with your Index controllers, see it all in 144 fps using the fastest RTX card, and to hear the squeals of dying headcrabs.

Mongol General: That is good! That is good.

maxresdefault.jpg

Strange thing, maybe, but apart from spending time with the wife and kids I think Conan is absolutely right here 
RuneSR2_0-1624183125786.png

@RuneSR2 wrote:

This thread now has more than 40,000 views - nice to see. I guess we may thank Uncle Google for that, lol. Also we have collected quite some info in this thread 😎

Yeah, 40,000 is a lot considering that most of that is divided amongst only 3 posters 😉

Ha, these days you would have more chance defeating Conan than finding a RTX 300xx card. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Having spent some time with the new Index hmd, it really is a lot better. Before I couldn't help constantly searching for the columns, but now they are really gone in most games. Can still be found in games like Maskmaker staring at the very vivid and super-saturated paint colors - like blue, red, green and yellow, but even in Maskmaker the columns are very hard to spot. 

Played Alyx last night, never once noticed the columns - but these were also hard to see in Alyx with my old hmd. Also in Surv1v3 I did not notice the columns. 

Furthermore, with the RTX 3090 the Index has become a totally awesome VR solution - the experiences I'm getting now are simple beyond awesome. Even if the GTX 1080 was great in many games, the RTX 3090 is such a massive leap forward. 

Btw, in some games, using native Steam drivers with the Index does provide some magic. Since many readers of this thread may not read my other threads, I'd like to mention that using Index res 200% (18 mill pixels per image) in Surv1v3 probably increased my fps close to 100% compared to using Rift CV1 ss 2.0 (17 mill pixels per image), even if the game does support native Oculus drivers:

This game performed about twice as good using Index res 200% than Rift CV1 ss 2.0. 

Especially the opening scene totally dived to 45 fps or worse with the CV1 ss 2.0 (with no or default antialiasing) - I was getting worried my RTX 3090 was overcooking, lol - but Index res 200% was smooth as silk, even adding 4xMSAA! 

This is a rare occurrence, normally CV1 ss 2.0 has the upper hand compared to Index res 200% - but also in the Tomb of Nerfertari the Index res 200% was about twice as fast as Rift CV1 ss 2.0. So there is that - and if I really looked hard, I might find a lot more apps where native Steam drivers seem to matter quite a lot. Or whatever is causing this great performance difference. 2c.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/861400/Nefertari_Journey_to_Eternity/

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Btw, ended up playing some Tarzan VR today. Ok, more like testing, because Tarzan supports native Oculus drivers, but using CV1 ss 2.0 I had to lower some details to get solid 90 fps.

To my big surprise, using Index res 200% I could max out all settings, even including a massive 8xMSAA, and still get solid 90 fps.

Thus here's another game performing *much* better using native Steam drivers.

Also tried No Man's Sky. That game is a blurry mess with the Index, all kinds of DLSS are super-blurry, and with no antialiasing the game looks awful too. FXAA is best with lcd, but this game looks 10 times better with CV1 oled. Can't have it all I guess, lol.