cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

OmegaM4N
Expert Trustee

Little know fact but Tarzan was the very first swinger. lol

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

There have been new rumors about the Index 2, but personally I really don't care. So much can change before or if we see the Index 2. Then again, maybe some care more than I do - and might find this article interesting:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/06/looks-like-a-possible-valve-index-2-will-make-their-vr-kit-go-...

9209969041624287241gol1.jpg

- and maybe even the vid 😉

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

I hope they wait a bit, my wallet needs a break lol. Very interesting though!

pyroth309
Visionary

Well i just freed up $860 bucks. Bring it on lol.

@RuneSR2 wrote:

https://www.gamingonlinux.com/2021/06/looks-like-a-possible-valve-index-2-will-make-their-vr-kit-go-...

9209969041624287241gol1.jpg

Yep, as I posted last month, Valve took out a patent this February for Inside-Out Tracking. Good on Valve! The consumer market has spoken, and wireless (inside-out) tracking has proven to be superior to tethered VR.

I am glad that the Oculus Quest will finally have a competitor. I would love to see these 2 HMD's leap frog each other as they compete for market dominance. The end result will be superior hardware options for the consumers.

There is no doubt that Valve made this decision based on the fact that Quest remains the dominant PCVR HMD on the SteamVR platform.

Looks very nice indeed.

CV1/Vive-knuckles)/Dell Vr Visor/Go/Quest II/ PSVR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I must say Alyx is looking pretty darn sweet in the Vive Pro 2. Great resolution, no SDE, nice FOV and Lighthouse 2.0 with Knuckles controllers. Best of all worlds.

You listening @RuneSR2 ?

😈

Anonymous
Not applicable

I think one can bet if Valve does this it is going to be one helluva kit.

And you're using 120 Hz and have 120 fps?

I'm born suspicious of the performance of 5K res hmds, but maybe I'm silly - I'm constantly using 17 to 18 mill pixels per image anyway (CV1 ss 2.0 or Index res 200%).

So why don't I just get the VivePro 2? Basically I'm quite happy with my dual (Rift CV1 and Index) setup. I don't like to retire a perfectly working Index hmd, and I'm happy with the image quality and performance. 

I don't like to add more software - my VR rig is totally clean, not even Office, only things installed are Nvidia driver, Oculus desktop app and Steam - hard to keep it more minimized. Ok, did get infected by the Origin launcher program too 🙂

That said VivePro 2 would be my target if my Index failed - but now is not the time, so many games and apps I need to test, to see the differences comparing GTX 1080 and 3090, and need not to introduce more variables. Having spent 4 weeks with RMA, it means I've had very little time to test the 3090 and Index combo.

Do keep writing about VP2 vs Index, you always have my full attention 🙂

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

RuneSR2
Grand Champion

Interesting with the new Index hmd, kinda feels like getting new glasses - and I have to habituate. Clearly the new hmd is slightly different from my old hmd, maybe the lenses are placed slightly different - or some minor changes have been made to the model 1007. Having to accommodate or adjust to the new Index hmd wasn't something I expected, but maybe all hmds are somewhat unique 🤔