cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Index thread (please keep to subject)

Techy111
MVP
MVP
As per the title, please respect the users who post here and keep it on topic, any nonsense and......grrr
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

2,973 REPLIES 2,973

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Seems Index is coming back down under - but you probably need to be very quick 😎

https://www.ebgames.com.au/product/pc/231700-valve-index-complete-vr-kit

That tells me the successor to Index is still a ways off.

BTW MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries with VR Mod  is absolutely gorgeous in the Index. I love the extra FOV in that game. I am already well over 100 hours in it and still going strong. All in single player - campaign and career modes both. Currently Index is my headset of choice for MW5 Mercenaries. 

Interesting, also in Wolfenstein Cyberpilot I really notice the big fov much more than in other games. So fov really comes to play when in a cockpit? 🤔 Remember to use Index res 375% in Cyberpilot if you try that game (I thought I was using res 250%, but it was 375%). 

How does than MW5 Mercenaries work? Do I just need to buy this game and then add a mod?

https://store.steampowered.com/app/784080/MechWarrior_5_Mercenaries/

Does look awesome 🙂

ss_7ad09dce9856d392cf52fbac4602826566e66e85.1920x1080.jpg

ss_4d98ff9ec909e4864aa306cf1762a8a3fc92ffff.1920x1080.jpg

ss_fc28a3cfc03fcde4f58f94f65dfeecfd302ccb04.1920x1080.jpg

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes you would need to purchase MechWarrior 5 Mercenaries and then grab the VR Mod from here:

https://www.nexusmods.com/mechwarrior5mercenaries/mods/531?tab=description

There are two files you would need, the compatibility pack and the mod itself.

Btw the X-Box Controller that came with the CV1 is supported and great with this game, it is all I use for it for controls. It truly is gorgeous in VR.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Ok so Vive Pro 2 is on the way to HTC in Seattle via Fed Ex.

Hopefully they get me sorted.

Just had a go in MSFS 2020 with the Index, I sure miss that cockpit clarity I was getting in the Vive Pro 2 with it. Well at least I can still fly in VR whist awaiting for my hopefully fixed VP2.

Ok so received the Vive Pro 2 unit this morning. They sent me a replacement unit along with a new cable for it as well. Have been testing it the last hour or so, so far so good it is really smooth!

Kudos to HTC Repair in Seattle for getting me sorted! I  have seen some bad stories of some of their overseas support over on the HTC forums but very glad that was not the case for me here in the states.  Per their instructions I only sent the headset with no speakers, no face mask , and no cable. They sent me a replacement that had all of those with exception of Link box.

So in my case seems I got great support from their Seattle center, very pleased.

I know it is replacement headset as it has a totally different serial number.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 

I think I have screwed up. Was checking out the different channel settings for the Lighthouse 2.0 base stations, and now they don't come on but stay in sleep mode. Light stay blue. Any ideas?? I can for them in Base Station s device settings and it does not find them. Help! Lol.

Edit - Never mind got it by unplugging and replugging them back in to wall power.

No still screwed, they just show green now but do not show up in Steam VR. Apparently I have really messed something up somehow. 

I somehow seemed to have really messed things up. If I scan for base stations it says there are none broadcasting. But both lights are green and appear to be tracking. In fact I even have set to go standby when exiting Steam but they still remain green.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling Steam VR, still same issue. Lights solid green yet in Steam Devices they do not show up at all. If I try to configure base stations it comes back and says there are none in my vicinity.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok not entirely sure how but seems I got it all back working proper again. I think removing Steam USB drivers and rebooting did the trick. Really not sure how I got it so messed up lol.

Good you got it working. Just wondering if I may ask - after using the Vive Pro 2 for some time, compared to the Index how is:

Fov

Panel res

Colors

Black levels

Refresh rates

Tracking (same as Index when using Knuckles and base stations?)

Sound (but I understand if you only have used earbuds)

Weight and comfort

Cable (long enough, tendency to get twisted etc.)

- and anything else I didn't ask for but you think I should have 🙂

Thanks!

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Good you got it working. Just wondering if I may ask - after using the Vive Pro 2 for some time, compared to the Index how is:

Fov

Panel res

Colors

Black levels

Refresh rates

Tracking (same as Index when using Knuckles and base stations?)

Sound (but I understand if you only have used earbuds)

Weight and comfort

Cable (long enough, tendency to get twisted etc.)

- and anything else I didn't ask for but you think I should have 🙂

Thanks!

FOV - Index has slight edge with the larger vertical. VP2 is not bad horizontal but a little thin on the vertical.

Panel Res - VP2 definitely is better. IMHO nothing beats native resolution.

Colors = both are good.

Black Levels - I would say about the same.

Refresh Rates - Index has edge with all the options.

Tracking - Yep same great Lighthouse 2.0 tracking for me.

Sound - can't say never used Index nor VP2 sound. I have heard from others Index has the edge there.

Weight and Comfort - Weight about same, comfort I give edge to VP2 but I use Kiwi face and back pad also.

Cable - no more no less than Index imho.

I will add lens quality - I give edge to Index, in my VP2 ( both original and replacement) I see some of the Fresnel circular patters in the outer edges more so than I do in Index.

I will also give the nod to Index in the software department, it only requires Steam VR where VP2 requires both Vive Console and Steam VR. Which was bad move imho, they should have made it just native to Steam VR.

Thanks a lot - I prefer comparisons made after some months of use. I guess VP2 would be my choice if the Index broke and I could not get a new one. 

Anonymous
Not applicable

@RuneSR2 wrote:

Thanks a lot - I prefer comparisons made after some months of use. I guess VP2 would be my choice if the Index broke and I could not get a new one. 

When it is working the VP2 is a very nice headset for sure. However I have to say out of all my previous headsets I have had this is the first one I had to send in on a support ticket. At least my experience in that department was good.