cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread

I'm desperately trying to find out if there will be a VR mode so if anybody knows... that would be good!

https://youtu.be/ReDDgFfWlS4

*Edit: see the later posts in the thread for confirmation of VR support.

563 REPLIES 563

pyroth309 said:

I'm not a helicopter enthusiast per say nor an expert so this is purely opinion. I just enjoy flying them in games and I've ridden in some a few times but that means little other than I observed some of the characteristics of their flight first hand. It's different when you have the controls in your hand.

I haven't played Xplane in a few years but I remember enjoying the helicopter model there. It felt like I was flying a chopper and what I think flying one should feel like or at least close to it. Would also like to hear a real pilots opinion.

DCS seems great to me as well, especially the huey. Plus the whole combat system side that I'm quite fond of.

As far as FSX, I thought the base flight model of FSX was bad for choppers....but the beauty of FSX was the mods. Some of them created by actual pilots. There were a couple that really fixed the helicopter models up and made them feel closer to what I think they should feel like. But I've never flown one so could be wrong. I can't remember their names off the mods off top of my head but one of them in particular fixed the physics and was developed with real heli pilots.

Maybe we shouldn't be too choosey in getting total accuracy. As you say, having fun in the sim is important and as long as it feels good enough, then that's reason enough to have them.

I keep meaning to get the Huey for DCS and not sure what's holding me back... I think it's the sting of the learning curve for the Warthog that's made me shy away from DCS a lot. Probably should have started with the Huey maybe?  

pyroth309
Visionary

pyroth309 said:

I'm not a helicopter enthusiast per say nor an expert so this is purely opinion. I just enjoy flying them in games and I've ridden in some a few times but that means little other than I observed some of the characteristics of their flight first hand. It's different when you have the controls in your hand.

I haven't played Xplane in a few years but I remember enjoying the helicopter model there. It felt like I was flying a chopper and what I think flying one should feel like or at least close to it. Would also like to hear a real pilots opinion.

DCS seems great to me as well, especially the huey. Plus the whole combat system side that I'm quite fond of.

As far as FSX, I thought the base flight model of FSX was bad for choppers....but the beauty of FSX was the mods. Some of them created by actual pilots. There were a couple that really fixed the helicopter models up and made them feel closer to what I think they should feel like. But I've never flown one so could be wrong. I can't remember their names off the mods off top of my head but one of them in particular fixed the physics and was developed with real heli pilots.

Maybe we shouldn't be too choosey in getting total accuracy. As you say, having fun in the sim is important and as long as it feels good enough, then that's reason enough to have them.

I keep meaning to get the Huey for DCS and not sure what's holding me back... I think it's the sting of the learning curve for the Warthog that's made me shy away from DCS a lot. Probably should have started with the Huey maybe?  

I hear that. A lot of DCS modules are a overwhelming. I always just watch a bunch of youtube videos before I attempt them myself.

This one may help 😄

On a serious note, I usually just grab a startup guide and one I get basic flying down start expanding from there to other systems. Something like this -

Anonymous
Not applicable

pyroth309 said:

TomCgcmfc said:

It's going to be interesting to see what kind of resources are going to be required for good VR.  For me, I doubt that I'll give it a go until the sim gets a few helicopters.  I think the main problem is that no one on the mfs2020 development team has any helicopter experience.  This is a real pity (and oversight) imho.

I currently only fly helicopters and VTOL aircraft with X Plane 11.50r3 Vulkan and these all work great.  Plus most stock scenery includes lots of heliports (including roof top ones).  This recent YouTube video sheds a lot of light on MSFS2020 plans to introduce heli's in the near future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mpks4nv5Y4

Makes sense. FS is a beast of a program with a lot of features that need more fleshing out. I'd rather them complete all of the core systems for planes before throwing new wrenches and systems into the mix especially since they don't have helicopter experience. That said, that's the way flight simulators go these days. Release a barebones version and then add to it over time to complete it. I look forward to helicopters arrival and I hope we get some interesting ones added.

I did see DCS tease apache though lol. So I have something to keep me entertained for awhile.

I will be all over that Apache! Such fond memories of flying Longbow back in the day.
Hornet Supercarrier ops is a sight to behold. Love doing cold start, taxi and takeoff from the Supercarrier.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I think there is going to be a LOT of disappointed peeps with 2020 and VR...
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
And DnD they now have multicrew for DCS so technically you could take an instructor along and fly together (offering) which would be good fun 🙂
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

Techy111 said:

In what way? I must admit I bought the ultimate edition but only because of VR
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Techy111 said:

Oh no don't say that! the vid looked like it preformed well but I'm guessing they were using an absolute top spec PC. Well, I was trying to reign in my expectations but I'll try harder.

Some of the peeps on the MS forum are complaining about no VR controller support with the usual 'if they don't include controllers, I'm gong back to x-plane' type posts, different forum same keyboard warriors!

If VR performance isn't great then I'd much rather they concentrate on that, before anything else.

Techy111 said:

And DnD they now have multicrew for DCS so technically you could take an instructor along and fly together (offering) which would be good fun 🙂

I'm going to give DCS another go tomorrow and put a bit more effort into it. I think it's my age, too many systems to take in.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
Due to an NDA I cannot comment on the VR beta testing on the forum, now please don't errr PM me @bigmike20vt now will you 😉

Anonymous
Not applicable

Techy111 said:

Oh no don't say that! the vid looked like it preformed well but I'm guessing they were using an absolute top spec PC. Well, I was trying to reign in my expectations but I'll try harder.

Some of the peeps on the MS forum are complaining about no VR controller support with the usual 'if they don't include controllers, I'm gong back to x-plane' type posts, different forum same keyboard warriors!

If VR performance isn't great then I'd much rather they concentrate on that, before anything else.

Techy111 said:

I'm going to give DCS another go tomorrow and put a bit more effort into it. I think it's my age, too many systems to take in.

I am with you there. I have logged over 100 hours in the Hornet and still do not feel competent enough to be able to fly combat missions with it yet. Loving the carrier Ops though.

Techy111
MVP
MVP
@dburne the most satisfying thing I ever done was land the Tomcat on the Supercarrier 🙂 Have you tried the Hercules Free MOD yet ? It's a must have !!! Some of the skins done by yours truly.