cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread

I'm desperately trying to find out if there will be a VR mode so if anybody knows... that would be good!

https://youtu.be/ReDDgFfWlS4

*Edit: see the later posts in the thread for confirmation of VR support.

563 REPLIES 563

Greyman
Superstar
I'm still using my old faithful CV1, connected to what is now a similarly dated PC.   An i7-6700k with a GTX 1080 and MSFS still performs pretty well, especially in GA aircraft, with a solid 30fps.  That is, apart from an occasional "white flash", not lightning. which is allegedly an issue with the Oculus software. 

Greyman said:

I'm still using my old faithful CV1, connected to what is now a similarly dated PC.   An i7-6700k with a GTX 1080 and MSFS still performs pretty well, especially in GA aircraft, with a solid 30fps.  That is, apart from an occasional "white flash", not lightning. which is allegedly an issue with the Oculus software. 

I heard a few people on the FS forum mention flashed but I haven't had them yet.
Someone's also mentioned taking ASW down lower than 30 and having a better experience on a system similar to mine so I think I need to do more testing.

Greyman
Superstar
I switch ASW off, as otherwise i get weird distortion when looking through a spinning prop, especially when looking at the straight lines and lights, you tend to get when approaching for a landing. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Man oh man, been having a blast with this sim in VR - it is drop dead gorgeous.

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
I hate to be that 'I told you so' guy so I won't, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWicWtmob5Q

I have gone through the usual Oculus upgrade path from cv1 to Rift S, Quest 1, Quest 2 and ended up returning the Rift S and Quest 2 for a refund (no problem doing so btw).  For now I'm sticking with cv1 for most PCVR apps and Q1 for mobile VR and a little wireless fun with Virtual Desktop.  For Flight/racing sims I'm mainly using my OLED Vive Pro w/Etsy Gear VR lens mod and Index controllers.  While a G2 might give me slightly better daytime visuals, I can never go back to WMR and non-OLED panels.  Your results might vary of course.

i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nothing or no one will be able to separate my Reverb G2 from my fat ugly head. Especially for MSFS 2020 in VR, it is drop dead gorgeous.
I have already logged 58 hours into it so far. Yep I am hooked now. Been a long time since I was hooked on a civilian flight sim - back in the FSX heyday.
But I won't stay away from my combat flight sims too much longer...

pyroth309
Visionary

dburne said:

Nothing or no one will be able to separate my Reverb G2 from my fat ugly head. Especially for MSFS 2020 in VR, it is drop dead gorgeous.
I have already logged 58 hours into it so far. Yep I am hooked now. Been a long time since I was hooked on a civilian flight sim - back in the FSX heyday.
But I won't stay away from my combat flight sims too much longer...

Same here man. I've got about 20 hours in MSFS 2020 VR and it's incredible. I've been spending every free hour I can in my G2 and actually love it more now than when I first got it now that I got Frankenfov mod situated without any light bleed.

Obviously night flying OLED wins, but I'm to the point that LCD darks don't bother me anymore and have been enjoying night flights. And for the other 3, dusk dawn and daylight the pros far outweighs any negatives. To each his own, I'm going back to playing lol

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
Sorry to butt in again, esp. since I'm unlikely to purchase msfs2020 until they have heli's (current est. 2022).  However, for VR it's pretty hard to beat Aerofly FS2 imho.  Esp. with the latest updates and free Hawaii scenery and 2x stock heli's. 

While msfs2020 does include more actual scenery, it still auto-gens in many areas.  This is a recent comparison of a flight in Hawaii.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YCOEgCDNClE

This is with a monitor but still looks fantastic in VR.  The main diffs is that you can get fantastic frame rates without needing to upgrade from a 1080ti to a rtx3090.
i9 13900K water cooled, RTX4090, Z790 MB w/wifi6e, 32Gb 6400 ram, 2x2TB SSD, 1000W PSU, Win 11, QPro, Q3, w/Link and Air Link, Vive Pro1 with Etsy lens mod and Index Controllers

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer

TomCgcmfc said:

I hate to be that 'I told you so' guy so I won't, lol!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWicWtmob5Q

I have gone through the usual Oculus upgrade path from cv1 to Rift S, Quest 1, Quest 2 and ended up returning the Rift S and Quest 2 for a refund (no problem doing so btw).  For now I'm sticking with cv1 for most PCVR apps and Q1 for mobile VR and a little wireless fun with Virtual Desktop.  For Flight/racing sims I'm mainly using my OLED Vive Pro w/Etsy Gear VR lens mod and Index controllers.  While a G2 might give me slightly better daytime visuals, I can never go back to WMR and non-OLED panels.  Your results might vary of course.

Hey dude.

VR Flight Guy has changed his mind.  I think his headset was so new that it (or the Home software) hadn't updated and Link was in Beta.  He even says in the video that his Quest had an update, which I think must have been the one for for the Link.
He is way more positive about it here.

I think this fits the pattern. Karl Gosling also had harsh words to say about Link but completely changed his mind after the update.

Obvs you still didn't like your one!  I have just come from Rift after my RiftS broke and love my Q2!

TomCgcmfc
MVP
MVP
@andysonofbob Some YT guys change their minds on things more than many of us change our underware, lol!  The main thing is that as long as you are happy with what you have, that's the most important thing imho.

Saying that you replaced your Rift S after it broke with a Q2.  How did that happen mate?  What are you going to replace your Q2 with when you break it???