cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread

I'm desperately trying to find out if there will be a VR mode so if anybody knows... that would be good!

https://youtu.be/ReDDgFfWlS4

*Edit: see the later posts in the thread for confirmation of VR support.

563 REPLIES 563

andysonofbob
Heroic Explorer
@TomCgcmfc

Yeah, loving my Q2!  I think it's the best purchase I have made in ages. Obvs would love a G2 but not in the position to get one.

I could have saved a bit longer but I was having to use CV1 and couldn't handle the screen door because I had come from RiftS.  Soz, I realise I didn't explain the point of my listing of my previous headsets very well.

The misses enjoys the VR too and still wants to play the games we have bought in oculus, so had to acquiesce to get Q2. 

To answer your question, if still relevant, if my Q2 breaks I'll probably replace it with another one. Something I couldn't do when a sensor in my RiftS broke because I got it in a sale, forcing me to go back to my CV1, which was awful. 

Anyhoo! I'm even boring myself.

All the best! 

kojack
MVP
MVP
I ended up buying Flight Simulator last night. I got a 2TB Corsair MP600 M.2 SSD yesterday, so I had some room for it. It took 4.5 hours to download.
I haven't tried it in VR yet. I started it up, let it use the recommended settings for my system (Threadripper, 2080TI), and it was getting 33fps. Hmm.

The ground traffic is rather poor compared to X-Plane. Cars and trucks drive up the centre line in both directions (through each other) of one way 2 lane highways. Roads are often placed below the terrain. There's no trains. X-Plane roads can be rather surreal, but the traffic moves in the correct lanes and train lines have actual trains moving on them.

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

Anonymous
Not applicable

kojack said:

I ended up buying Flight Simulator last night. I got a 2TB Corsair MP600 M.2 SSD yesterday, so I had some room for it. It took 4.5 hours to download.
I haven't tried it in VR yet. I started it up, let it use the recommended settings for my system (Threadripper, 2080TI), and it was getting 33fps. Hmm.

The ground traffic is rather poor compared to X-Plane. Cars and trucks drive up the centre line in both directions (through each other) of one way 2 lane highways. Roads are often placed below the terrain. There's no trains. X-Plane roads can be rather surreal, but the traffic moves in the correct lanes and train lines have actual trains moving on them.

Yeah they got some work to do on vehicle traffic.

Sneak preview of World Update 3 UK scenery...

zmmap37gl6g4.png
14ybakwsqlmq.png
4fnvhy0m5km0.png

From the development update a couple days ago:

'We are hard at work hard on World Update 3 and it is looking great! This massive update contains new aerials, new DEM, over 70 POIs, 5 airports, two landing challenges, and will also introduce 5 brand-new photogrammetry cities for your enjoyment. Unfortunately, these new cities are causing a slight delay… it’s a new process and data source for us and the tools have to be updated for these cities to integrate seamlessly into the sim. The Bing Maps team is working hard to make this happen and the data provider, Bluesky, is helping as well. We believe that the remaining issues will be resolved within a few days so we are targeting the release one week later than originally planned. We apologize about the delay, but are convinced that it will be worth the wait … and that a full 3D London is a critical element of this release.'

So... that's 5 photogrammetry cities... one being London 🙂

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@DaftnDirect - Will I get all the scenery with just the standard version of Microsoft flight sim? I don't know if to just buy the full premium version or just sign up to XBox for Pc again, which will allow me to play the standard version, but also play a whole load of other Pc games with this subscription for a year. 

RedRizla said:

@DaftnDirect - Will I get all the scenery with just the standard version of Microsoft flight sim? I don't know if to just buy the full premium version or just sign up to XBox for Pc again, which will allow me to play the standard version, but also play a whole load of other Pc games with this subscription for a year. 

As far as I know all of the bespoke modelled airports and improved scenery in the World Updates are included in all versions of the sim.

It's just the 5/10 airports and 5/10 planes, that are exclusive to the deluxe/premium editions that remain exclusives. Which means, as more and more bespoke modelled airports are added via the world updates, the difference in editions becomes less of a big deal I guess.

Having said that, the going rate for quality aircraft addons are around £20 per plane, so premium is good value on that basis, even ignoring the airports.

World update 3 has landed. Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to try it out until the end of the week!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jMlE9WWxdKg&feature=emb_logo

Anonymous
Not applicable
Looking forward to it!
However I have put everything else aside whilst I am learning the DCS Hornet. I decided it was now or never.
Finally doing some campaign flying after all these hours I have put into it and it is a blast.
I just love blowing stuff up.

RuneSR2
Grand Champion
Hmmmm, is there an extremely easy-mode for total newbies in the game?

Just asking ... to help *cough!* ... a friend ... who just got some X52 HOTAS  :blush:

Oculus Rift CV1, Valve Index & PSVR2, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 16TB SSD
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Anonymous
Not applicable

RuneSR2 said:

Hmmmm, is there and extremely easy-mode for total newbies in the game?

Just asking ... to help *cough!* ... a friend ... who just got some X52 HOTAS  :blush:

You shouldn't have any problem.
As far as flight sims I would consider it one of the easier ones.
Start out with the training missions in the Cessna.
Also remember it has a separate section for VR graphic settings versus PC graphic settings.