cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 Thread

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I'm desperately trying to find out if there will be a VR mode so if anybody knows... that would be good!

https://youtu.be/ReDDgFfWlS4

*Edit: see the later posts in the thread for confirmation of VR support.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

516 REPLIES 516

dburne
Level 15

OMG trying to get everything set up to my stick and throttle to my liking in the controller setup menu is quite an exercise in total frustration...

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

dburne
Level 15

Well after some frustration getting MSFS 2020 dialed into my liking with the Vive Pro 2 and finally figuring out some of the controller setup nuances, I spent most of yesterday and today with some really nice relaxing GA flights across my home state. Each flight making some changes in the graphics and testing each change.  At least I got it running acceptable for me with some decent graphics. That terrain in this sim is just so gorgeous. One thing is for sure, running this sim in the VP2 full resolution just ain't going to work, at least for a while until some more powerful CPU's and GPU's hit the market. At least it will be able to grow into it over time.

Granted it does not have the excitement and pucker factor of flying the DCS Hornet off  the Carrier in the Persian Gulf loaded with bombs and missiles, but it is a nice relaxing change of pace for a short bit.

Too many sims, too little time lol. With MSFS 2020 for civilian flights,  DCS for jets and chopper combat,  IL-2 Great Battles for WWII combat simming, and Automobilista 2 for racing, I got plenty to keep me very busy during these retirement years. And all of course in VR.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

OK so it took 5 weeks for Orbx's Landmarks London update to make its way onto the Marketplace so I could finally do some like-for like testing of the supposed performance improvements that Sim Update 5 was touted as bringing to the sim.

For the test I made sure I was using the same Nvidia driver as the pre-SU5 test (471.41) same graphics settings, same plane (default Cessna 172S) same weather conditions, same location (London with Orbx London Landmarks and Orbx London City Airport).

Results:

Pre-SU5                      SU5           

Load time to main menu                            3:31                          3:32

Load time London City ready to fly          3:43                          1:55

Pancake (2560 x 1600)

Stationary on runway 27                           26-27                         30           13% increase

Passing the O2 at 500ft                             24                            32           33% increase

Over Heathrow at 3,000ft                           13                         29-33        138% increase

VR
Stationary on runway 27                            17-18                     22.5-27       42% increase
Passing the O2 at 500ft                           15                          25-27.5        75% increase
Over Heathrow at 3,000ft                        20                         25-27.5         31% increase

So from my small test it's a definite improvement and brings the sim within reach of VR on my system.

However, the big difference to performance comes when using the Oculus Tray Tool to adjust the default ASW Mode. ON my machine setting this to 18 Hz pegs the sim at a steady 15-16 FPS and gets ASW to fill in the frames. This totally transforms the smoothness of the sim and I had zero jitters, it felt like I was effectively getting 50 FPS or more. With this set I could increase my VR render scale from 80% to 120% and still be able to move my head around quickly without a stutter. I can't emphasise the importance of this enough.

I think some tasks are still better achieved with a large 4K monitor, such as bush trips that require spotting small details on the ground to navigate or difficult landings that benefit form much high frame rates and having the runway in site at greater distances but for general sight-seeing, VR is just about the better option on my moderate performing system with Sim Update 5 and Oculus Tray Tool ASW mode at 18 Hz.

Happy days.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v20H2 (19043.1081)

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

How big is too big?

Flight big.jpg

When not in VR a big monitor helps.... Gigabyte's Aorus FV43U 1 ms response time, 144 Hz, Freesync & HDR.

Big, expensive monitors are a waste of $'s and space if you are really into PCVR imho.

9 9900k, rtx3090, 32 Gb ram, 1tb ssd, 4tb hdd. xi hero wifi mb, 750w psu, Q2 w/Air Link, Vive Pro

Yup why I have not bought a monitor in several years now.

I have two that I use for my 2d needs. Gaming, forget it - that is all in VR. Can't see myself ever gaming on a monitor again. It has been well over 4 years now since I have.

Got more nice relaxing flights in today with MSFS 2020 in the 172 throughout part of my home state.

Amazing scenery for sure.

@DaftnDirect wrote:

How big is too big?

When not in VR a big monitor helps....

Amazing setup! Love that monitor.

I do tend to spend more time "not in VR" than "in VR" these days. Mostly because I am waiting for new AAA titles to experience, and in the meantime there are just so many better non-VR games/apps being released across multiple platforms.

I recently bought a bigger monitor for work, since pandemic life has me working from home exclusively. I can foresee myself getting a larger gaming monitor soon since my whole family enjoys gaming together. For some of the harder 2D games that I enjoy, my son likes to watch and play along sometimes. We switch back n forth with mouse/keyboard, controller.

A large monitor is great for family experiences that don't involve VR.

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

lol monitors aren't a waste if your old one is on the fritz... and you need to do productive work like 3D design, CAD and photo/video editing... all of which I do, the former stuff for work, the latter for hobby. I know this is a VR forum and the best way to prove credentials is to poo-poo anything non-VR but that isn't real life imho.

This 43" is 30% less expensive than my previous 30" HP workhorse and much better specs.

Anyway, for flight simming VR is the best way to go for sight seeing and immersion but MSFS is much more than that. Learning systems and flight training really needs quick hands-on controller operation which is difficult with a headset, sometimes you need to reach out and feel the controls without continuously looking at them and guessing at their position, flaps, air brakes, trim etc etc.

As far as gaming is concerned, there's a whole world of non-VR stuff that doesn't stop being fun just because VR is here, RTS's especially really only work on a monitor. Retro gaming and emulation is a big hobby of mine too. FPS's are purely VR for me as are racing sims and I'll gladly compare hours played in either with anyone else here.

I think it's time to be less struck in our ways. You can be into PCVR and non-PCVR, the two things aren't a competition.

It's interesting to read the comments on the flight sim forum where people are a little less fixed on VR/non-VR use and are more flexible, focusing on the sim more and choosing what's best for the task.

Incidentally, if anyone's interested, the Honeycomb throttle quadrant is available to order again after a long time. My order's in so hopefully will have one to review in a few weeks.

https://flyhoneycomb.com/products/bravo-throttle-quadrant 

Bravo.png

kojack
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

I bought FS a while ago, I still haven't actually taken off yet, or tried it in VR.

I've run it, but just to move the debug camera around to view their terrain system around my house and work. 🙂

I do need some new monitors. I'll probably go for twin 27" (in portrait mode) either side of a 30".

Anybody restricting gaming to VR only is missing out on the amazing Webbed, although I might be biased because I know one of the co-creators of it. 🙂

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Forum Dark Mode, Phantom Touch Remover,  X-Plane Fixer
Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2

DaftnDirect
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator

Your monitor choice probably isn’t influenced too much by MSFS by the sound of it but just a note that the sim doesn’t currently support multi-monitors, the sim community has been asking from the start... no idea what can be done within Nvidia drivers but it’s another reason I went with a big single monitor... this one also has 99% adobe colour gamut which is nice.