cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Next Quest - What is needed!

kevinw729
Level 15

kevinw729_0-1629636205586.png

Many are speculating that we will be getting an announcement regarding the "Quest 3" or "Quest Pro" during the October Facebook Connect. But there are already strong speculation of what is needed from the next iteration from the Standalone (MobileVR) platform.

Some of the areas of development needed include:

- Enhanced VR Streaming
- Eye Tracking

- Foveated Rendering
- Improved Field of View
- Improved OLED Display
- Enhanced Audio
- Enhanced Tactile Feedback (headset and controllers)
- Better weight Relief
- Better cooling
- Return to Black Design

These are the basic overviews, but what would you want to see from the successor to the Quest2

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
87 REPLIES 87

I wish they would go back to two headsets. Quest focused on stand alone and native PC-VR headset, no FB requirement. I would be all over the latter.

Rift CV1| Rift S| Quest| Reverb G2| Index| Vive Pro 2

Genuine question,  probably going to make myself look like a right luddite here 🙂  I use the cable for flight sims, and virtual desktop for everything else PC-VR - to my eyes it looks fine.  What's the advantage you see with native PC-VR? - I ask because I've never tried it.

@cmat100 wrote:

Genuine question,  probably going to make myself look like a right luddite here 🙂  I use the cable for flight sims, and virtual desktop for everything else PC-VR - to my eyes it looks fine.  What's the advantage you see with native PC-VR? - I ask because I've never tried it.

Pure performance benefit. Oculus has done a good job with both Oculus Link and Airlink, and Virtual Desktop has done good as well. But I want to squeeze every last ounce of performance I can get out of my system primarily due to the flight sims I love so much. Native PC-VR piped directly into the GPU display port gives me that. And I have cables already with all my flight gear setup, so an extra cable to the VR headset does not bother me in the least.

Ah,  cool - makes sense 🙂  So if Oculus released an (for the sake of argument, call it unsubsidised / No FB) Rift 3, you would be happy, same for Quest 3 and I would be happy - FB would make money and increase user count.   Add a cheaper model for those who don't mind / want FB (each to their own) and then everybody's happy...........

Yep I would be happy with that. Don't know that they will ever do it though, probably not. Once can wish though.

I'm a plain man, I don't ask for much 😁

Just take out my CV1 panels, and insert the Quest 1 panels, and I would not need to ask for more. Simple as that. Call it CV2, Q3, whatever.

I'd happily pay 1k for that. Not even joking. 

To be more realistic, I guess Q3 with oled would be ... something 🤔 I'd still want that DisplayPort too - unless we're completely sure that streaming artifacts are totally gone, and my trust in a perfect wireless signal is low. Also Pyroth measured Q2 performance loss due to the streaming, not sure that conversion is without a toll. I'd want to be able to play in total darkness like I do now with both CV1 and Index. 2c.  

Valve Index & Oculus Rift CV1, Asus Strix OC RTX™ 3090, i9-10900K (5.3Ghz), 32GB 3200MHz, 8TB
"Ask not what VR can do for you, but what you can do for VR"

Nekto2
Level 9

I think the next generation should solve one more real world people need.

Like it was with fitness feature turning every gaming into really valuable activity.

Do not know what it will be. May by some "fitness for your mind" 🙂

Some way to change our view on education. Instead of some "external" courses (like we do fitness in real club) we could have Oculus "mind fitness" app which will collect "mind fitness bonuses" from all apps providing any sort of education/training/puzzles/etc. And then could show your progress split by activities 🙂

Next it may be more device sizes. Like we have S, L, XXL. To better fit for different head sizes.

Or it may be different facial interfaces. But bigger devices could have some more options (like more coolers).

I think some people will be happy with more accessories and use modes with those accessories (optional). Like "tracking points".

They could be designed to help with tracking. Those could be posters or even some cool mini statues with light source inside. So it will allow to use Quest at a dark place.

And if you could configure your sleeping place (same as desk position) then you could watch movies on your "ceiling" while in bed without any guardian issues.

Also there could be some special mode for those who like to sleep in VR. So no noise will be or auto app exiting, (you know there are people who like to fall asleep together in VR in a chat room looking at a nice sky and listening to sea waves) 🙂

Yet another big thing is "remote control/help". Or just a selection of auto-start app with pre-configuration (link?). It would allow to send configured device to parents so they need not learn how to start apps. They could put headset on their head and instantly be in call with their relatives.

Same with education in class (teacher could form a "group" and send them link to next course part). Or it could be some "conference".  But ... that is more like business.

Hmmm...  is it possible to implement buying timely edu/work/bus license from inside consumer Quest? 😄

DisplayPort - it's a must! Battery shoud be outside.