cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Pimax 8K MEGA Thread - First Reviews Now live

Shadowmask72
Honored Visionary
I've been on the fence about this and have some reservations about build quality and performance under heavy load, but for me the positives outweigh the negatives and I guess many others feel the same way. Now I never backed the Rift during its Kickstarter campaign (unfortunately) but I assume the feeling is similar where you're helping to forge the future of VR in some way, or at least like to think so. I consider myself an enthusiast and not the majority, therefore what's another £600 to experience the latest  in VR. Sadly, having Samsung not release the Odyssey here in the UK left me with an itchy wallet finger, a void that needed filling and with GO not releasing until next year either I thought the Pimax 8K will scratch the itch and might just prove to be pretty good too. I'm excited for it.

There is always going to be skepticism and no doubt a number of people will suggest I am backing a paperweight but, that's ok it's fully understandable to have those feelings and that prediction is always a possibility. But... if someone doesn't take the risk and we all play it safe, how can VR move forwards - I guess we've already taken risks with past VR investments in some way or another including with the Rift. I've never claimed any loyalty to anyone having owned The Gear VR (still have that knocking around somewhere) DK2, Vive, Rift, PSVR and come next year Pimax will be added to the list. However, I am interested like many of you agreed in the poll we did here a while back that certain things were important to improve on what we have now and it seems the Pimax 8K is offering some of those things on paper. 

I think once you can look past the silly marketing name (8K) and the hammerhead shark design and focus on what's inside, this HMD offers something many claimed they would like in the past but are not prepared to trust Pimax to deliver. I think a number of people would rather wait for a more established company (like Oculus) to offer a similar experience further down the line. All very understandable. But I am impatient, and whilst I use my Rift quite often I want more of what VR can offer sooner rather than later. 

So, (and the main reason for this post) is come Feb 2018 some point in 2018 I will gladly post impressions and comparisons without hyperbole and answer questions any of you might have. That said, I expect many others at the time will post their impressions also so there should be plenty of opinions going around from various sources.

System Specs: MSI NVIDIA RTX 4090 , i5 13700K CPU, 32GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 11 64 Bit OS.
1,860 REPLIES 1,860

snowdog said:

Is it time? Living under her floor I hardly ever stop lmfao 😮 😄 😄 😄

As vannagirl would say:

Moi bueno?

moy bueno?

Ah, something like that anyway...

😄 

p.s. if it's the wrong language, country, continent, soz!
Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

Anonymous
Not applicable
@vannagirl covered in chocolate..? Bloody hell, what are you trying to do to me? lmfao 😮 😄 😄 😄

Atmos73 said:

Are we still in the Pimax thread? 

Errrrr... i dunno

Big PC, all the headsets, now using Quest 3

1point21jiggawattz
Adventurer

Atmos73 said:

Are we still in the Pimax thread? 

Sometimes.
Hey, I have a signature. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Another awesome film! 😄

vannagirl
Consultant
Are we still in the primark thread"

After 17 pages...who cares, its still not out and oculus rocks whooooo  😉

I always imagined a date with snowdog ending as this though

https://youtu.be/sfmxruzQ3po
Look, man. I only need to know one thing: where they are. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Which is precisely why I only come out from under your house when you're asleep and WELL away from your car keys. B)

sdplayer
Expert Protege
Atmos73 said:

'Are we still in the Pimax thread?'

Only superficially. On the internet there is no real thread other than Please Imagine Me As Xtraordinarily sexy even though I'm a warthog in real life!

That doesn't apply to me though, as I really am a sexy handsome bastard in real life 😄  

Is it my imagination or is this thread drawing to close? I was kind of hoping it would continue until Pimax ships.

edit: sarcasm is sometimes a difficult thing to convey in a single sentence 

Anonymous
Not applicable

Atmos73 said:

Well we still have...

Pimax 8k v5-6-7 
Pimax delay
Pimax 8k in the post
Pimax 8k unboxing
Pimax 8k First Impressions
Pimax 8k Reviews
Pimax 8k User Reviews
A shitload of Pimax software updates to get the thing working properly
Pimax 8k OMG 
Pimax 8k Best Set Up
Pimax 8k Best 200FOV titles
Pimax 8k 200FOV v 100FOV
Pimax 8k 8k v 2k
Pimax 8k Consumer Pre orders
Pimax delay
Pimax 8k Consumer release
Pimax 8k Consumer edition v Kickstarter edition
Pimax 8k Add-ons
Pimax delay
Pimax 8kX

Rince and repeat 

Fixed lol 😛

Probably best if it does get delayed by at least a few months. SteamVR is bound to be broken when Valve integrate WVR headset compatibility, having the Pimax 8K releasing a month later on top is going to cause a major clusterfuck for it. 😮 😞