cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift community Dies

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's extremely clear that the Rift community was always a tiny slice of the gaming community, but we supported it anyway thinking it would grow...

and regardless of whatever statistic you want to quote, it is really really really obvious that in fact, the community shrinks, there are no players in the online games, the rift breaks all the time and you don't get response from the support, you post in the forum but it takes days or maybe never before a reply... 

RIP RIFT! 
145 REPLIES 145

nalex66
MVP
MVP
The fact that the attempt to roll back ends in failure is a sign that Tim is using the wrong driver version (desktop rather than laptop, or 32 bit instead of 64 bit). That said, I’ve not heard of anyone else having an issue with the latest driver, so I would do as RedRizla suggested, clean everything out with DDU and reinstall the latest version. 

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

Neokin
Adventurer

Tim74UK said:

I'm running a VR ready Laptop an ASUS ROG 503VM Strix

There's your issue. Buy an Oculus Ready laptop or a decent desktop computer. "VR Ready" has no value when it comes to laptops.

Anonymous
Not applicable
MY Laptop meets oculus requirements... GTX1060 installed not a hybrid. 

kevinw729
Honored Visionary

Tim74UK said:

And besides, this is supposed to be a consumer product, I shouldn't have to be tinkering under the hood to get it to work! 

I think its important that you understand that as a "Early Adopter" you were always expected to have a more hands on process to your consumer product that with normal goods. As we have seen with Magic Leap (which is a devkit still), OVR (CV1) is a system that expected the users to help the devs understand the needs of the market, and in many cases in 2016/17 expected the community to come up with the fixes that the manufacturer then incorporated into their support structure. Cheap consultancy that was not going to last forever for OVR as their links to the VR community became "stretched" - due to initial poor QA from OVR!

Now some two years on and it is clear that the aspirations of the VR community towards OVR have changed drastically, and as you pointed out the consumer aspects of the business have lessened. The Oculus GO and soon to be released Quest will hopefully not require any amount of "tinkering" and as vanilla consumer products should be more of a mainstream application. Though how the VR community will be reinvigorated to support the VR experience has yet to be revealed.
https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

Neokin
Adventurer

Tim74UK said:

No. Only laptops that have been approved "Oculus Ready" meet the Oculus requirements.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
My Win 7 Laptop is VR ready too... 'cause I taped the letters "V" and "R" atop it. Letter colors are Teal.

RattyUK
Trustee

Tim74UK said:

So you don't have the laptop that you posted - or did Asus mess up with their specifications?

Hybrid - both Intel & 3rd party GPU installed.  Whichever has priority set - do I really need to be bothered?
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

RattyUK said:

Tim74UK said:

So you don't have the laptop that you posted - or did Asus mess up with their specifications?

Hybrid - both Intel & 3rd party GPU installed.  Whichever has priority set - do I really need to be bothered?

Laptops come with different spec's there is a 1050 ti version also. 

SkScotchegg
Expert Trustee
Stop spamming forums please.
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

ennogs
Expert Protege

Tim74UK said:

I'm running a VR ready Laptop an ASUS ROG 503VM Strix - It worked fine until it didn't
I tried rolling back the driver but it just said incorrect driver or other such error. 

And besides.... shouldn't Oculus make sure that their software is compliant with the latest graphics drivers?? 

You are joking aren't you?  You are obviously not a computer programmer.

Oculus test their software with the latest drivers (at that time).  They then release the working software.  You can't blame Oculus if a few weeks or months later Nvidia release a driver that stops the Rift from working.   Blame Nvidia.

Also Nvidia relase a new driver roughly every 10 - 20 days. I am sure oculus do test the latest Nividia drivers and fix their software accordingly.

You should be complaining to Nvida for releasing drivers that stop the rift from working.

If I was you I would format the hard drive and install the latest version of Windows 10.