cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift community Dies

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's extremely clear that the Rift community was always a tiny slice of the gaming community, but we supported it anyway thinking it would grow...

and regardless of whatever statistic you want to quote, it is really really really obvious that in fact, the community shrinks, there are no players in the online games, the rift breaks all the time and you don't get response from the support, you post in the forum but it takes days or maybe never before a reply... 

RIP RIFT! 
145 REPLIES 145

JohnnyDioxin
Expert Trustee
Ratty, I don't know if it's a fun or interest thing for you, checking out all the hardware spec etc, but I would respectfully suggest you don't bother as I'm sure you'd be wasting your time, regardless of what you find, as far as the OP is concerned.

He doesn't appear to be interested in solutions or even answers. I'm surprised his posts haven't been left to disappear down the list. Maybe it's just because it gives us some light relief?

i5 9600k @4.5GHz; 16GB DDR4 3200; 6xSSD; RTX2080ti; Gigabyte Z390D Mobo
Rift CV1; Index; Quest; Quest 2

Even "VR Ready" is basically just a marketing term, especially concerning laptops. Oculus Ready actually requires that the hardware is tested and validated. As far as I know, anyone is free to slap a "VR Ready" sticker on whatever they want, regardless if it actually works. I mean, there are "VR Ready" hard drives.. what does that even mean?

The marketing wanks will latch onto any current trend to sell stuff cos they think we're all idiots, most annoying example for me currently being HD cosmetics... and yes... Ultra HD
igggp1pkzgd4.jpeg

KlodsBrik
Expert Trustee
Wait, so 4K graphic cards is not referring to resolution but pricing ?
Be good, die great !

Anonymous
Not applicable
I had a problem for the first time with my Oculus (the cable is half dead) and I came here to ask for help. I got a reply in few minutes (maybe it's the cable?) then I went to the beta support chat and a lady replied and helped me in 10 seconds (yes it is the cable). It does not seem to me that the community is dead. I started playing PokerStars VR 4 days ago. There's plenty of Oculus users there. So... big no no. 
Cheers

Luciferous
Consultant
Damn the Rift community is dead? Late to my own funeral again. 🙂

RattyUK
Trustee

Brixmis said:

Ratty, I don't know if it's a fun or interest thing for you, checking out all the hardware spec etc, but I would respectfully suggest you don't bother as I'm sure you'd be wasting your time, regardless of what you find, as far as the OP is concerned.

He doesn't appear to be interested in solutions or even answers. I'm surprised his posts haven't been left to disappear down the list. Maybe it's just because it gives us some light relief?

I was actually trying to help him - pointing to where the likely cause is...

Then my darker side decided to take the mickey 🙂

I'll stop now >:)
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

Anonymous
Not applicable

Even "VR Ready" is basically just a marketing term, especially concerning laptops. Oculus Ready actually requires that the hardware is tested and validated. As far as I know, anyone is free to slap a "VR Ready" sticker on whatever they want, regardless if it actually works. I mean, there are "VR Ready" hard drives.. what does that even mean?

87d2wc5l1zel.png

RattyUK said:

Tim74UK said:

MY Laptop meets oculus requirements... GTX1060 installed not a hybrid. 

So you don't have the laptop that you posted - or did Asus mess up with their specifications?

Hybrid - both Intel & 3rd party GPU installed.  Whichever has priority set - do I really need to be bothered?

Actually... VR ready means the laptop or computer meets the minimum systems requirements to run VR. 
  • Nvidia 960 or greater (down from Nvidia GTX 970 / AMD 290 equivalent or greater)
  • Intel i3-6100 / AMD FX4350 or greater (down from Intel i5-4590 equivalent or greater)
  • 8GB+ RAM (same)
  • Compatible HDMI 1.3 video output (same)
  • 1x USB 3.0, 2x USB 2.0 (change from 2x USB 3.0 ports)
I know you are the community manager here and so I am a little surprised at this answer from you. I know that laptops weren't a good option before, but things changed the last generation with the 10 series NVIDIA cards. The increased number of cores along with a super efficient power draw meant desktop grade punch in a laptop. 

And BTW I still have not heard back from support or had an acknowledgement of my support ticket I rose five days ago. 

So yeah... Oculus obviously couldn't give a flying F about the community. 

As Cyber says any manufacturer can put VR ready on any piece of hardware, it's not policed or regulated in any way so decide for yourself how meaningful that is. The only way to know if a particular laptop runs a particular headset is to visit the respective forum and ask the question before choosing the laptop... rather than afterwards... stomping your feet moaning at Oculus.

Cyber posted in this thread https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71340/support-response-time-sucks#latest that support had responded to your ticket within 24 hours and were waiting for you to answer the question/s they asked.

With so many threads you've created for your problem, it's difficult to keep track of what responses you've had and what solutions you've been offered, by the community that you keep calling dead. Did you ever post in any of the threads what your laptop is? so that others can learn from your mistake?

Perhaps you'd have been better off posting within a single thread about this issue like everyone else does. But then I don't think that's the point is it? you clearly don't give a flying F about the community.

Mods… please, merge these threads or maybe put a leash in this poster.

Anonymous
Not applicable

As Cyber says any manufacturer can put VR ready on any piece of hardware, it's not policed or regulated in any way so decide for yourself how meaningful that is. The only way to know if a particular laptop runs a particular headset is to visit the respective forum and ask the question before choosing the laptop... rather than afterwards... stomping your feet moaning at Oculus.

Cyber posted in this thread https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71340/support-response-time-sucks#latest that support had responded to your ticket within 24 hours and were waiting for you to answer the question/s they asked.

With so many threads you've created for your problem, it's difficult to keep track of what responses you've had and what solutions you've been offered, by the community that you keep calling dead. Did you ever post in any of the threads what your laptop is? so that others can learn from your mistake?

Perhaps you'd have been better off posting within a single thread about this issue like everyone else does. But then I don't think that's the point is it? you clearly don't give a flying F about the community.

Mods… please, merge these threads or maybe put a leash in this poster.

A Leash!?

Grow up!

I could put a label on my car saying it was a Lambo... but that doesn't make it so... that argument is invalid... I am not talking about the label, I'm talking about the specification.

Laptops have moved on significantly over the last 18 months, they are legitimate desktop replacements these days. I should know I have both a desktop with a gtx980 in it (old but still holds its own) and my gtx 1060 laptop, I play VR on the laptop way way way more than my desktop... 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
@Tim74UK - But isn't it your laptop that is no-longer working with your OculusRift? You've posted so many topics it's hard to to know which one you are waiting for a response on from Oculus Support. Is this about not being able to install a graphics driver on your LapTop? Did you try the SafeMode thing that was suggested in this thread because you didn't come back with an answer?

Cybereality has said an email was sent Monday and they have not received a reply to that either, so I suggest you check your email and spam folders again and answer the questions in this thread. Did going into SafeMode and using DDU to uninstall your graphics driver and reinstall it in Safe Mode work? If the graphics driver still won't install after doing what was suggested, then I would suggest you're installing the wrong graphics driver, or you have a fault with your computer and not the Oculus Rift..

A problem installing a graphics card driver does not point to an Oculus Rift problem, it points to a problem with your computer..