cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The Rift community Dies

Anonymous
Not applicable
It's extremely clear that the Rift community was always a tiny slice of the gaming community, but we supported it anyway thinking it would grow...

and regardless of whatever statistic you want to quote, it is really really really obvious that in fact, the community shrinks, there are no players in the online games, the rift breaks all the time and you don't get response from the support, you post in the forum but it takes days or maybe never before a reply... 

RIP RIFT! 
145 REPLIES 145

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OMAW3D said:
I agree with what you say here, except it doesn't apply in this
situation. OP had a problem unknown in nature that could perhaps have
been fixed in 5 minutes with a little effort.

Incorrect. The problem was not entirely unknown. The OP had 5 or 6 threads on the same topic - as I already told you. It may have been unknown to you, but your lack of insight doesn't impact the rest of us who were paying attention. You keep trying to say that the OP's problem could have been fixed, but no, it couldn't have... because as you have been told repeatedly, the OP did not want to tinker with the machine. You still can't comprehend this. But we can repeat it until it finally sinks in. It may never sink in, so we'll just push the pages of this thread to the 100's if needed.

Weigh that against what, £600-£1000 for another laptop

The OP openly admitted that they are going to purchase a Vive instead, which is just as expensive. But again, you just aren't paying attention. Nothing you say has any relevance to the current situation. You are arguing for the sake of arguing, and you are terrible at arguing.

What is it with you presuming to know my financial status and accreditation?

I don't presume to know your situation, I just know that you keep making it seem like spending money is a bad thing. I am merely pointing out that spending money isn't a bad thing for everyone. It certainly isn't for me, as I own multiple machines. And it isn't for the OP, since they have no problem spending money on both a Rift and Vive. The only financial issues in this conversation stem from you.

I am all for spending when the situation demands it

And there it is: you spend money when it is demanded. But some of us can spend money even when it is not demanded. Some of us can spend money when it is merely desired. This appears to elude you.

"VR Ready" means compatibility with VR headsets

More vague terminology that means nothing. A machine must power a Rift effectively in order to get the full experience, mere compatibility of a peripheral is not enough.

of which Oclulus is one, that is literally what the words mean, and literally what Nvidia intend to communicate with the phrase

Nvidia most certainly does not need you to communicate their intent. They are perfectly capable of conveying their intent without your aid. And they convey it just fine... by keeping the phrase "Oculus Rift" out of their VR Ready definition, and by linking Customers to Oculus Ready machines:

yxy6e4qusy32.png

I actually agree with Nvidia that buying an Oculus Ready machine is a smart move.

I am technical, not an English teacher

And you clearly didn't attend an English course since you still think that VR Ready means Oculus Ready. An English course could have cleared it up with the simple singing of the Alphabet.

Hey, give the poor guy a break - our Indian brethren work hard, a little broken English shouldn't be so offensive.

Their English in that chat is far superior to yours. You are calling it broken because you don't agree with it. That's pretty sad. The only thing offensive is how low you will go to blind yourself to the truth.

I NEVER EVER argued that the graphics card alone denotes VR capability.

Yet you present, as evidence, a Chat session where only the graphics card is being discussed as being VR Ready.

"VR Ready" machines are in possession of all of the hardware necessary to run VR peripherals, Oculus included.

This is false. VR Ready doesnt mean nor guarantee anything.

VR compatible IS a thing

Where did you get the phrase "VR compatible" from? We were talking about VR Ready. Is this your broken English at play?

Equally, 'VR Ready' is a perfectly serviceable and comprehensible
English phrase to use when describing a system capable of running
multiple VR headsets.

That is a weak attempt at playing a semantics game in a discussion about technical specifications. I get that resetting a password works in any environment, so it counts as "multiplatform troubleshooting." But when it comes to Virtual Reality, not every machine can run every major PCVR headset simply because GeForce said it was "VR Ready." Configuration management is required. And when someone like the OP shows up who doesn't want to configure or manage, then a machine that has been preconfigured for a specific VR platform is a smart choice.

Your choices, unfortunately, are all bad choices. Luckily, not even Nvidia agrees with you.

DigitalDeviant
Protege

Zenbane said:

OMAW3D said:
I agree with what you say here, except it doesn't apply in this
situation. OP had a problem unknown in nature that could perhaps have
been fixed in 5 minutes with a little effort.

Incorrect. The problem was not entirely unknown. The OP had 5 or 6 threads on the same topic - as I already told you. It may have been unknown to you, but your lack of insight doesn't impact the rest of us who were paying attention. You keep trying to say that the OP's problem could have been fixed, but no, it couldn't have... because as you have been told repeatedly, the OP did not want to tinker with the machine. You still can't comprehend this. But we can repeat it until it finally sinks in. It may never sink in, so we'll just push the pages of this thread to the 100's if needed.

I believe it may have been fixed, i guess we will never know now. After all, his machine is compatible so why wouldn't it work with a little effort?

"VR Ready" machines are in possession of all of the hardware necessary to run VR peripherals, Oculus included.

This is false. VR Ready doesnt mean nor guarantee anything.

OK. you are very adamant about that 'VR Ready' means nothing right? i think it is abundantly clear that is your stance.

So then..

•  what is this and what does it mean?
fcbe42megv29.png

• What do Nvidia mean by "NVIDIA’s GeForce GTX VR Ready program designates virtual reality ready PCs, Notebooks and Graphics Cards from leading add-in-card and system builder partners that are configured to deliver an optimal VR experience."
           I suppose by "virtual reality ready PCs" they mean PCs compatible with... well what exactly? if not VR headsets               as you so vehemently proclaim?

• What is the Nvidia 'VR Ready' Program about if it isn't about narnia hats?
            https://www.geforce.co.uk/hardware/technology/vr/vr-ready-program

• Why do nvidia say; "PCs and notebooks that qualify for 'VR Ready' meet the following recommended systems specs. See here." - and then link to a page with an Oculus headset listed amongst others?

•    Why is this laptop being marketed as "VR ready" on NVidias website? - perhaps because *gasp* its compatible           with VR headsets?
eshsko9urjb0.png

I'm pretty darn sure, 'VR Ready' is a thing when NVIDIA use the term, and I'm pretty darn sure they are talking about narnia hats when they say it. What the hell else would they mean?

Zenbane said:
Equally, 'VR Ready' is a perfectly serviceable and comprehensible
English phrase to use when describing a system capable of running
multiple VR headsets.

I get that resetting a password works in any environment, so it counts as "multiplatform troubleshooting." 

You can pick my words apart all day long looking for angles but this jab is getting tired dude and its not fair on front line support folk that do that kind of work. Folk that in my experience, have probably forgotten more technical knowledge than you will ever come across, folk that i respect and don't deserve your immature attitude towards their efforts.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OMAW3D said:
I believe it may have been fixed, i guess we will never know now.

You will never know, but for the rest of us who can manage to read... we saw his claim that he bought a Vive as a solution.

After all, his machine is compatible so why wouldn't it work with a little effort?
His machine is not Oculus Ready.

OK. you are very adamant about that 'VR Ready' means nothing right?

VR Ready <> Oculus Ready

I suppose by "virtual reality ready PCs" they mean PCs compatible with... well what exactly?

If you want a Rift, follow Nvidia's instructions and buy an Oculus Ready machine:

yxy6e4qusy32.png

I'm pretty darn sure, 'VR Ready' is a thing when NVIDIA use the term

It's a marketing term for Nvidia. And you fell for it, hard.

You can pick my words apart all day long looking for angles but this jab
is getting tired dude and its not fair on front line support folk that
do that kind of work. Folk that in my experience, have probably
forgotten more technical knowledge than you will ever come across, folk
that i respect and don't deserve your immature attitude towards their
efforts.

Resetting passwords does not require technical knowledge. And between both my education and experience with both business and tech, I probably have more technical knowledge than you plus all the password resetters you know.

B)

In all seriousness, you do argue in the same stubborn and narrow-minded manner as all password resetting support personnel I've ever come across. This experience debating with you is a run down memory lane. Although, I have met the rare support admin that is talented and knowledgeable But they aren't the type to blindly launch a crusade for something as naive as "VR Ready." You and them have nothing in common.

DigitalDeviant
Protege

Zenbane said:

Resetting passwords does not require technical knowledge. And between both my education and experience with both business and tech, I probably have more technical knowledge than you plus all the password resetters you know.

In my environment there is a high bar for first line staff and to become completely proficient in password resets can require a fair amount of technical knowledge. You might be familiar with changing a password on a desktop and maybe even a server, but it seems you have no consideration or experience of multi site AD administration, LAN / WAN replication, RODCs, Azure sync etc. So, i'm going to go ahead and disregard your bold claims to knowledge over me or anyone I know . You have no idea what my credentials are or what experience I have.  You seem to want to undermine my opinions by making me out to be a career 'password resetter' - you couldn't be more wrong and your attempts to undermine me with such churlish finger pointing is doing your arguments no favours. Besides, this isn't a credentials pissing contest. Its a simple disagreement over something that is ultimately quite menial, lets keep it at that level eh? its kind of morbidly interesting when its technical, not personal.

-----------hopefully moving on from that now..-------------

OK, so i have completely, utterly and spectacularly FAILED HARD at helping your brain make the entirely logical leap between 'VR Ready' and VR headsets. So lets try another angle, lets look at 'Oculus Ready'.

What does it mean for a machine to be 'Oculus Ready'? - rhetorical question. I put it to you that it is nothing more than a hollow marketing term that bears no real substance. Now i just KNOW your brain is already leaping to refute mode but STOP the internal dialogue for one minute and consider this; you have heard 'Oculus Ready' before, many times in fact.
Ever heard 'Works best with...' or maybe you have heard 'In partnership with...' or 'Proudly sponsored by...'
'Oculus Ready' is a variation of that same thing and it is just as hollow. It is just two companies partnering up to ride  on the brand power of each other - with financial benefits of course.

Now, if you are still adamant that 'Oculus Ready' is an actual thing this next bit should be very easy for you. Show me the substance, what is the key difference between an 'Oculus Ready' machine and an alternate machine of the same specification, but missing the 'Oculus Ready' moniker?

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OMAW3D said:
In my environment there is a high bar for first line staff and to become completely proficient in password resets can require a fair amount of technical knowledge.

😄 

but it seems you have no consideration or experience of multi site AD
administration, LAN / WAN replication, RODCs, Azure sync etc

lmao - I've worked in this field for nearly 20 years. And I've argued with password resetters aplenty; it's a great pastime. Exaggeration and narrow-mindedness are common traits. I believe it's a job requirement lol

its kind of morbidly interesting when its technical, not personal.

You were the first person to start making personal namecalling with words like "fool" and "clowns." Besides, I'm not personally attacking you with the password resetter comment, I'm merely describing a common trait. Your argument style is very predictable from a password resetters mindset.

OK, so i have completely, utterly and spectacularly FAILED HARD at
helping your brain make the entirely logical leap between 'VR Ready' and
VR headsets.

Making logical leaps is not a smart thing, especially when you leave your brain behind.

What does it mean for a machine to be 'Oculus Ready'? - rhetorical
question. I put it to you that it is nothing more than a hollow
marketing term that bears no real substance

Oculus Ready is a real term, VR Ready is a term with no real substance. Even NVidia markets Oculus Ready:

yxy6e4qusy32.png

Ever heard 'Works best with...' or maybe you have heard 'In partnership with...' or 'Proudly sponsored by...'

Yes, and "VR Ready" is another one of those mindless and pointless terms.

Show me the substance, what is the key difference between an 'Oculus
Ready' machine and an alternate machine of the same specification

When a machine has the exact same specification as an Oculus Ready machine, then that machine has become... Oculus Ready. However, VR Ready has nothing to do with any of it.

DigitalDeviant
Protege

Zenbane said:

lmao - I've worked in this field for nearly 20 years.

Then it seems we do have at least something in common, long service. Nearly 15 years my side and well accredited. 
I work with multinational AD environments and multi regional UK environments are bread and butter. So yes, a password reset can sometimes become a challenge for first line - nothing is as simple as it was when i first started out.
This e-dick waving of yours makes you look full of yourself, not clever. You probably work as an in house IT bod right? know your systems pretty well yeah? totally on top of it? That would totally explain this better than thou attitude - confidence brought about by limited exposure.
Its a big scary world out there dude.

Yep - i just made a bunch of assumptions about you - not at all useful to the actual point is it? shall we NOW move on?

Zenbane said:
Show me the substance, what is the key difference between an 'Oculus
Ready' machine and an alternate machine of the same specification

When a machine has the exact same specification as an Oculus Ready machine, then that machine has become... Oculus Ready. However, VR Ready has nothing to do with any of it.

So, when a machine has the exact same specification as an 'Oculus Ready' machine, then it becomes an Oculus ready machine... keep going, you are almost there! WHERE is the difference that sets an 'Oculus Ready' machine apart from a VR Ready one? 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OMAW3D said:

Zenbane said:

lmao - I've worked in this field for nearly 20 years.

Then it seems we do have at least something in common, long service. Nearly 15 years my side and well accredited.

Same here, I have 2 degrees and 2 certs.

I work with multinational AD environments and multi regional UK environments are bread and butter.

Ditto. I've worked simultaneous projects with healthcare, financial systems, inventory management, and even space tech. I also spend lots of time on a public stage with a microphone giving lectures.

This e-dick waving of yours makes you look full of yourself, not clever.

Pot/Kettle. You've been waving your tiny e-Peen around for some time. I only decided to show you mine as a gentle reminder that this is a place for Big Boys 😉

You probably work as an in house IT bod right?
I fluctuate between functioning as a 3rd Party Provider and internal IT shop. However, I rarely get along with true internal IT personnel, which is why you and I won't be getting along very well. Password Resetters are stationary positions. I can already tell that your reference to being multinational and multiregional is in relation to the systems and devices themselves, not your actual talents; yet you will try to pass that off as some skillset you actually maintain. Very typical and overplayed.

That would totally explain this better than thou attitude - confidence brought about by limited exposure.

I've been accusing you of that for some time now with the Password Resetter references. It's no surprise that you're parroting me.

Its a big scary world out there dude.

And if you ever stop resetting passwords for a living, you might encounter some of it. You are not "Big World Ready" lol

Yep - i just made a bunch of assumptions about you - not at all useful to the actual point is it? shall we NOW move on?

All of your attempts will end up with you flopping quite terribly. Take whatever stance and adopt whatever strategy you like, none of it will work out in your favor.

WHERE is the difference that sets an 'Oculus Ready' machine apart from a VR Ready one?

Check the NVidia site for more details on this:

yxy6e4qusy32.png

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/vr/oculus-vr-ready-hardware

DigitalDeviant
Protege

Zenbane said
You probably work as an in house IT bod right?
I fluctuate between functioning as a 3rd Party Provider and internal IT shop. However, I rarely get along with true internal IT personnel, which is why you and I won't be getting along very well. Password Resetters are stationary positions. I can already tell that your reference to being multinational and multiregional is in relation to the systems and devices themselves, not your actual talents; yet you will try to pass that off as some skillset you actually maintain. Very typical and overplayed.

Nope. My 15 yrs has been served exclusively as a 3rd party provider. I roll out, manage and maintain said environments, untold amounts of them - that's my role. I brought up multinational and multi regional only because of your penchant for picking on 'password resetters', a role that doesn't exist in my world and a phrase that is insulting to undeserving front line staff, bit of a bully really aren't you? In these multi site environments, a password reset can become a big challenge for first liners requiring a fair amount of technical insight. Your denial of that fact speaks of your limited experience. Stay in house mate, you're safe there.

Zenbane said
WHERE is the difference that sets an 'Oculus Ready' machine apart from a VR Ready one?

Check the NVidia site for more details on this:

https://www.geforce.com/hardware/technology/vr/oculus-vr-ready-hardware

A total non answer, and again citing marketing material to counter my argument that 'Oculus Ready' is a hollow marketing ploy - you are delivering some first class irony there.

I'll ask again, WHERE is the difference that sets an 'Oculus Ready' machine apart from a VR Ready one? 

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

OMAW3D said:
Nope. My 15 yrs has been served exclusively as a 3rd party provider.

Unless you run your own business, then that just means you're a contractor and you sit in-house for the owner of a 3rd party provider. I've run my own small business tech company since 2008; I've been a 3rd party provider and worked with plenty.

In these multi site environments, a password reset can become a big challenge for first liners

Passwords are a big challenge for some, sure. It's good position to hand off to interns who are still learning. Tech newbs do well here; a great way to "learn to swim" by starting in the kiddie pool.

Stay in house mate, you're safe there.

You are in-house. Part of my niche as a business owner is being "a 3rd Party Solution that removes your dependencies on 3rd Parties." Part of my niche as an in-house asset is to make sure the enterprise has an extremely limited reliance on 3rd Parties.
But keep on hiding behind the contracts someone else lands, you're safe there.

again citing marketing material to counter my argument that 'Oculus Ready' is a hollow marketing ploy

You don't understand what marketing entails. Yet another failure on your part that comes as no surprise. Marketing a real thing doesn't denote a hollow marketing ploy. The VR Ready label you continue to advocate for is the only marketing ploy. Which is why Nvidia properly addresses this with a factual reference to Oculus Ready Machines. I've already linked to discussions and articles from other end-users and experts all of whom recommend the Oculus Compatibility Tool to verify an Oculus Ready machine. You have convinced yourself that the entire world is wrong and you're the only one who "gets it." That's the narrow-mindedness that comes from being a password resetter. And you already eluded to where it all began: you've argued multiple times that resetting passwords is difficult. Your exaggerations and delusions have reached biblical proportions lol

DigitalDeviant
Protege

Zenbane said:
again citing marketing material to counter my argument that 'Oculus Ready' is a hollow marketing ploy

You don't understand what marketing entails. Yet another failure on your part that comes as no surprise. Marketing a real thing doesn't denote a hollow marketing ploy. The VR Ready label you continue to advocate for is the only marketing ploy. Which is why Nvidia properly addresses this with a factual reference to Oculus Ready Machines. I've already linked to discussions and articles from other end-users and experts all of whom recommend the Oculus Compatibility Tool to verify an Oculus Ready machine. You have convinced yourself that the entire world is wrong and you're the only one who "gets it." That's the narrow-mindedness that comes from being a password resetter. And you already eluded to where it all began: you've argued multiple times that resetting passwords is difficult. Your exaggerations and delusions have reached biblical proportions lol

Just this week I managed a password reset for 1400 Azure users across the UK due to an ongoing problem with phishing. I DO NOT maintain that resetting passwords is difficult, again you are straw manning me and its getting pathetic. I AM telling you that password resetting, depending on the scenario CAN be a challenge - your complete inability to cogitate a complex password reset scenario, again, speaks volumes.

I do not exaggerate my knowledge, I learn new stuff all of the time and unlike you I get along just fine with first line folk and sometimes even learn something from them. IT is an everlasting learning experience, you seem to have fallen behind my friend. Probably because of that ego of yours.

Just one question now. What is the difference between an 'Oculus Ready' machine and a VR ready one?

i'll wait.