cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There have been a plethora of predictions tossed around from 2016 thru 2017. Many of those predictions fall short, but we rarely get to take that in, which is a bit of a loss. The ratio is something like: 98% effort put towards making multiple predictions, 2% effort put towards fact-checking to see which predictions turned out true or false.

This thread will attempt to resolve that for all the 2018 predictions that are enroute thanks to:
  • The current ambiguity surrounding Facebook's Rift CV2 plans
  • The general implications of Facebook's stand-alone low-end headset, Oculus GO
  • The bigger implications of Facebooks stand-alone mid-range headset, Santa Cruz

Feel free to post your predictions here. If you catch someone else making a prediction, drop it here as well on their behalf.

I'll begin with predictions for 2018 of my own:

Zenbane's Predictions
  1. Oculus GO will sell over 2 million units by the end of 2018.
  2. Santa Cruz will win a “VR Unit of the Year” Award for 2018.
  3. The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
  4. The Pimax 8K HMD from Kickstarter will turn out to be a flop. Either it won’t ship to the general public in 2018 or it will ship but prove so faulty and defective that the industry will determine the product unfit for practical use.
203 REPLIES 203

LZoltowski
Champion
If the Vive Pro which is arriving without the "knuckles" has no release date yet ... how can knuckles be coming out anytime soon?
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

If the Vive Pro which is arriving without the "knuckles" has no release date yet ... how can knuckles be coming out anytime soon?

Anonymous
Not applicable
Image result for knuckles da wae

Digikid1
Consultant
Oh you just HAD to go there. LOL

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Atmos73 said:

Wow where to start...

Third, HTC release an updated Vive package with BS 2.0 and Knuckles around March 2018 - for $500.

So HTC release a new Vive package in March for £500!

This isn't a thread for trolling; people can see you editing your predictions lol

You specifically said that the $500 would be for:
  1. An "updated" Vive package, which it is not.
  2. Knuckle controllers included, which they are not.

Your prediction is dead wrong, as are your other March predictions (which you also edited). Don't spam with edits after you realize you're wrong.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
I predicted a Vive price cut to $500 around March which was correct.

Nope, you predicted this:
"Third, HTC release an updated Vive package with BS 2.0 and Knuckles around March 2018 - for $500."

You were wrong. If you want to be a sore loser and spam about it, then that's your choice. I think you have more to gain from learning from your mistakes and moving forward.
😉

Anonymous
Not applicable
Nice try. It's the exact same package lol 😄 😄 😄

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
Wasn't it you who predicted Santa Cruz for $200 which turned out to be GO lol 😛

Even if it was... snowdog never pulled an Atmos and amended the Prediction.

And wasn't it you who predicted that the Santa Cruz would really be the Rift CV2?
:#

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:
I'm bitter that all my March predictions were 100% wrong, so I'm going to rage on your existing predictions.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Atmos73 said:

Ok let’s reignite the predictions.

Question: How much will Santa Cruz cost?

Atmos - £/$500
@Zenbane - ???
@Snowdog - ???

I think most can agree that it will range from $450USD - $650USD in all likelihood

I'm going with 450USD (£318) based on the fact that it is supposed to be Mid-Range VR. If it's too expensive it could work against itself where it is automatically more sensible for a consumer to simply buy the Rift. It has to cost more than GO but significantly less than a new Rift + PC setup. So around $450 is the sweetspot, but I can also see it launching a $550 as a new device.