cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There have been a plethora of predictions tossed around from 2016 thru 2017. Many of those predictions fall short, but we rarely get to take that in, which is a bit of a loss. The ratio is something like: 98% effort put towards making multiple predictions, 2% effort put towards fact-checking to see which predictions turned out true or false.

This thread will attempt to resolve that for all the 2018 predictions that are enroute thanks to:
  • The current ambiguity surrounding Facebook's Rift CV2 plans
  • The general implications of Facebook's stand-alone low-end headset, Oculus GO
  • The bigger implications of Facebooks stand-alone mid-range headset, Santa Cruz

Feel free to post your predictions here. If you catch someone else making a prediction, drop it here as well on their behalf.

I'll begin with predictions for 2018 of my own:

Zenbane's Predictions
  1. Oculus GO will sell over 2 million units by the end of 2018.
  2. Santa Cruz will win a “VR Unit of the Year” Award for 2018.
  3. The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
  4. The Pimax 8K HMD from Kickstarter will turn out to be a flop. Either it won’t ship to the general public in 2018 or it will ship but prove so faulty and defective that the industry will determine the product unfit for practical use.
203 REPLIES 203

nalex66
MVP
MVP

Zenbane said:

snowdog said:

Don't get me started on Valve again lol

They ARE working on three games though. And they're probably all going to be launch titles for the Knuckles controllers some time in 2037 all going well.

Gosh, yes... the 3 games. I read an article recently that said.... wait for it...

CONFIRMED! Valve is STILL working on 3 games.

Get the phone lines ready, folks.

Valve has never made a "3" game. Half-Life 2, Half-Life 2 Episode 2, Portal 2, Team Fortress 2, DOTA 2, Left4Dead 2... History shows that Valve is incapable of counting to 3, so don't hold your breath.

DK2, CV1, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Quest 3.

Try my game: Cyclops Island Demo

If anyone's interested and hasn't read it already, Marc Laidlaw (the script writer for Half-Life 2 and the episodes), published Epistle 3 last year, a synopsis of what is assumed to be Episode 3 with the names of the characters changed to protect the innocent.

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

I'm afraid this is all we'll see of Half-Life.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

If anyone's interested and hasn't read it already, Marc Laidlaw (the script writer for Half-Life 2 and the episodes), published Epistle 3 last year, a synopsis of what is assumed to be Episode 3 with the names of the characters changed to protect the innocent.

http://www.marclaidlaw.com/epistle-3/

I'm afraid this is all we'll see of Half-Life.

Reminds me of when I binged, The Borgias, on Netflix recently. When I started the binge, I had no idea that the final season (4) had never been created. So when I got to the end I felt screwed! I was hooked on the story and characters, and I needed to know how it would all end.

After a few minutes of research, I discovered that the show had been cancelled, but a 2-part series was in the works to finish it off. But then that was cancelled as well. Luckily, the writer published the final screenplay!

I read the entire thing in one-sitting. And all was well in the universe once again.

But I digress. oops.

Greyman
Superstar
Here's a prediction.   If Oculus and HTC were to team up and produce a VRift, more than half of the discussion on this forum would disappear. 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

Greyman said:

Here's a prediction.   If Oculus and HTC were to team up and produce a VRift, more than half of the discussion on this forum would disappear. 🙂

hah! I like that.

Sadly though, the truth is that such a partnership would be between Facebook and HTC. So those who remain here to constantly voice their disapproval of Facebook's VR direction would simply take the feud from "HTC vs Oculus" to "Everyone Else vs Oculus."

We've already seen that kinda stuff happen with Apple, Sumsung, and Pimax.

Greyman
Superstar
such a partnership wouldn't really help the paying public too much anyway, but i just couldn't resist. 🙂 

Greyman said:

You're probably right there @Greyman. Maybe it's the opposite of marriage where the rate of heated discussions increase at a logarithmic rate.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
I have a new prediction,
  • When the Pimax 8K finally hits the consumer market, while the image quality will be top-notch, the tracking will have notable issues
  • Palmer Luckey will instantly start sharing photo's of himself improving the Pimax 8K tracking system

LucasWiliams
Honored Guest

calonos said:

Yes, VR is trend of 2018 (like in 2016 and in 2017 :)) 

Why VR is in trend?

Despite some shortcomings, modern mobile headsets and smartphones are rather powerful to provide you with a fancy VR adventure. Moreover, figures tell for themselves: Google sold more than 10 million of Google Cardboard glasses in the first half of 2017. As for Samsung, it sold almost 800K of Gear VR headsets within the same period. 
It means that people are interested in the further development of VR technology. Online stores represent numerous headsets and glasses. It proves the popularity of VR technology among modern users.

Virtual reality app development ( https://bit.ly/2CFE0qK ) is thriving, and new applications are coming out daily. Their potential for development and impact on our lives and work really surprises!

LucasWiliams
Honored Guest

calonos said:

Yes, VR is trend of 2018 (like in 2016 and in 2017 :)) 

Why VR is in trend?

Despite some shortcomings, modern mobile headsets and smartphones are rather powerful to provide you with a fancy VR adventure. Moreover, figures tell for themselves: Google sold more than 10 million of Google Cardboard glasses in the first half of 2017. As for Samsung, it sold almost 800K of Gear VR headsets within the same period. 
It means that people are interested in the further development of VR technology. Online stores represent numerous headsets and glasses. It proves the popularity of VR technology among modern users.

Virtual reality app development ( https://bit.ly/2CFE0qK ) is thriving, and new applications are coming out daily. Their potential for development and impact on our lives and work really surprises!