cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
There have been a plethora of predictions tossed around from 2016 thru 2017. Many of those predictions fall short, but we rarely get to take that in, which is a bit of a loss. The ratio is something like: 98% effort put towards making multiple predictions, 2% effort put towards fact-checking to see which predictions turned out true or false.

This thread will attempt to resolve that for all the 2018 predictions that are enroute thanks to:
  • The current ambiguity surrounding Facebook's Rift CV2 plans
  • The general implications of Facebook's stand-alone low-end headset, Oculus GO
  • The bigger implications of Facebooks stand-alone mid-range headset, Santa Cruz

Feel free to post your predictions here. If you catch someone else making a prediction, drop it here as well on their behalf.

I'll begin with predictions for 2018 of my own:

Zenbane's Predictions
  1. Oculus GO will sell over 2 million units by the end of 2018.
  2. Santa Cruz will win a “VR Unit of the Year” Award for 2018.
  3. The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
  4. The Pimax 8K HMD from Kickstarter will turn out to be a flop. Either it won’t ship to the general public in 2018 or it will ship but prove so faulty and defective that the industry will determine the product unfit for practical use.
203 REPLIES 203

YoLolo69
Trustee
People have a very strong feeling of presence and a very soft but still amazing experience, with no Touch involved as a start, with simple experience like the Petit Prince (the Rose and I) or Dream number 1, so that's with that I start demoing. Dear Angelica also but I tried to launch it yesterday and it didn't start (long time no run). Need to test again. For hand First Contact still the must for starter IMHO.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 10700K,  RTX 3070, 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz, Oculus Rift CV1

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, that's why I always go for Dreamdeck first. It's worth doing that just to see reactions to the Skyscraper and T-Rex scenes.

Digikid1
Consultant
I go for Dreamdeck first as well.  As usual the more common response to the skyscraper is a scream and them falling to their knees.....even though I do ware them about it.  Still hilarious.

Next time its gonna be Richies Plank Experience.  :smiley:

Anonymous
Not applicable
Yup, I asked my mate how good he was with heights before I put him in Dreamdeck. He said he was okayish with them but started to freak out a bit when that scene appeared so he pressed the A button pretty sharpish lol 😄

LZoltowski
Champion

snowdog said:

Yup, I asked my mate how good he was with heights before I put him in Dreamdeck. He said he was okayish with them but started to freak out a bit when that scene appeared so he pressed the A button pretty sharpish lol 😄

My mum literally screamed "You HITLER!" when the T_Rex was approaching and I wouldn't let her take the HMD off her head, she was on the floor cowering. (She's an older Polish woman in her 60's)
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

My mum literally screamed "You HITLER!" when the T_Rex was approaching and I wouldn't let her take the HMD off her head, she was on the floor cowering. (She's an older Polish woman in her 60's)

LZoltowski
Champion

Zenbane said:

oh my god wow GIF by 9Now
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Digikid1
Consultant
Why did you say YOU HITLER because of a T-Rex?  I dont understand that....

Sax-a-boom
Rising Star
I don't know if this is a prediction or a desire, but it seems to me that any action on a VR keyboard is just a slow faff. If VR is our future of interaction with chat rooms, desktop apps, etc, then lets move forward with a reliable speech to text input system. With phone and home assistants it has been shown that near perfect recognition is available, so it can't be too much of a stretch to build that into our VR interactions.

As for wether the mics of current generation VR systems are up to snuff quality wise I do not know, but having typed out a few sentences in a chat room recently through Dash desktop, my next response was after whipping off the headset and replying on the PC.

Anonymous
Not applicable
This thread is at best childish for trying to influence Awards and sour to the Pimax competition.
My predictions are:
Oculus Wireless 4k
Oculus get sued for something and settle out of court
Drones get extended battery life and come into delivery service
WW3 breaks out but not nuclear and cause world market crash
By 2019 we are left with legacy tech as factories close down and export/import cease