cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The VR Predictions Thread of 2018

Zenbane
Level 16
There have been a plethora of predictions tossed around from 2016 thru 2017. Many of those predictions fall short, but we rarely get to take that in, which is a bit of a loss. The ratio is something like: 98% effort put towards making multiple predictions, 2% effort put towards fact-checking to see which predictions turned out true or false.

This thread will attempt to resolve that for all the 2018 predictions that are enroute thanks to:
  • The current ambiguity surrounding Facebook's Rift CV2 plans
  • The general implications of Facebook's stand-alone low-end headset, Oculus GO
  • The bigger implications of Facebooks stand-alone mid-range headset, Santa Cruz

Feel free to post your predictions here. If you catch someone else making a prediction, drop it here as well on their behalf.

I'll begin with predictions for 2018 of my own:

Zenbane's Predictions
  1. Oculus GO will sell over 2 million units by the end of 2018.
  2. Santa Cruz will win a “VR Unit of the Year” Award for 2018.
  3. The Rift CV2 will be announced at the 2018 Facebook Developer Conference with a predicted released date of 2020.
  4. The Pimax 8K HMD from Kickstarter will turn out to be a flop. Either it won’t ship to the general public in 2018 or it will ship but prove so faulty and defective that the industry will determine the product unfit for practical use.
203 REPLIES 203

Zenbane
Level 16

nalex66 said:

For 2019, I predict:
  1. Quest will sell like hotcakes and be a big success. 
  2. People will moan about Oculus abandoning PCVR. 
  3. Rift S will be announced later in the year with higher res, better lenses, and Insight tracking at a very affordable price point ($300?). 
  4. People will moan about Oculus abandoning Constellation tracking. 
  5. Rift S will go on sale before year-end and will sell like hotcakes.
  6. People will moan about the lack of a major leap forward with new tech. 
  7. FB/Oculus will yet again show off some fancy new tech at their conferences. 
  8. People will moan about no solid info or release date for CV2.

I love prediction 3! After trying the Vive Pro, I definitely hope that the next Rift gets a lens upgrade.

Anywho, time to create the 2019 thread. Mods: Feel free to lock this thread since 2018 is over! 🙂

SkScotchegg
Level 11

Zenbane said:
Anywho, time to create the 2019 thread. Mods: Feel free to lock this thread since 2018 is over! 🙂

Are the lenses as good as Oculus GO or actually even better then GO?
UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Rift CV1 & Rift S - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!

Zenbane
Level 16
I would say that the Vive Pro has better lenses than GO, but the difference between GO and Vive Pro is not as wide as the difference with the Oculus Rift CV1. Which is a big compliment to GO! Such a powerhouse of a little HMD.

Techy111
Volunteer Moderator
Volunteer Moderator
Farewell 2018 hello 2019.
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.