cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The complainers were right : I

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wow what a let down, this is just personal opinion, but coming from a gear vr, this is a letdown, i just got my cv1, the resolution is not good, everything looks better through an s6 and s7, obviously cause of the screen, but i expected more because of the optics here, and while it does look a little cleaner, wow its just not the same, oh well i guess thats what i get for holding high expectations, lower them people, i honestly regret purchasing this right now this soon, should have waited 2 or 4 years for the tech to evolve, i was fine with my gear vr
19 REPLIES 19

V-Walker
Adventurer
this was always a known thing, that both vive and rift were not a giant leap above DK2, which is exactly why it took more than JUST a HMD to make me part with my cash to 'upgrade'. I'm sure vive would also displease the OP if he's not please with rift (screen wise even if Vive does have better FOV contrast and less glare) but Vive involves you so much in truly NEW VR that it overshadows many of the shortcomings. I felt the lack of input on Dk2 was truly what made it dull after a while, and ultimately why I chose Vive over Rift in gen 1. Input is important and roomscale is phenomenal when done right, when you are doing that you don't really care so much about resolution or whatever.

The thing is, without roomscale and without motion controls, the rift is being used in a very nerfed fashion that allows comparison to gear VR, where by it loses on res (but should have made up on optics), maybe OP is missing the fact he now has positional tracking and other good things (90hz) because he's sitting doing similar things to Gear VR and Rift actively encourages just that with a gamepad!

The true benefits of a proper VR HMD vs GearVR are fully revealed when you are totally interactive with your virtual surroundings, when positional tracking is vital. I think you'd have been happier with Vive, honestly, but I know we just get called fanboys around here for suggesting that.

I got DK2, you got Gear VR, we had no need for another (slightly better) "static" HMD unless only going to play E:D or something. Vive is a whole new level.

Anonymous
Not applicable
sure just give me the 650, i gotta admit one thing i do like is how big the virtual screen you can make it on vd, lower resolution, but personal theatre without it overheating lol, i dont know i think thats with every new toy i get, at first im like a kid shoving his veggies away, then after a while im going balls deep in side some lettuce, just leaving the ranch hangin out 

Tbone
Protege
Considering my preorder just got pushed back until the end of May, I may take you up on that. I don't want to miss out on my free Valkyrie and Touch preorder spot, though. Hrmm...
The Furious Angels - an Oculus Rift Online Gaming Community!

Anonymous
Not applicable
if you've never owned a vr headset at least a gear vr setup or a google cardboard, and your looking to game on it then keep your pre order, i miss the vr virgin days, cherish them ❤️ but if you already own something, i would, only cause i know i want to return it but at the same time its like well i know i probably couldnt

Oasistime
Explorer
Wow it must really suck then, because Gear VR kinda sucks. Oh wait you are talking about resolution and nothing else. Ah okay. Thanks for being part of the gang that got us a lower FOV than DK2.

comixcroz
Expert Protege

infamouz said:

sure just give me the 650, i gotta admit one thing i do like is how big the virtual screen you can make it on vd, lower resolution, but personal theatre without it overheating lol, i dont know i think thats with every new toy i get, at first im like a kid shoving his veggies away, then after a while im going balls deep in side some lettuce, just leaving the ranch hangin out 

done - send me the details.  Assuming you have everything and its in perfect working order.  🙂

rat8cheese
Protege
Like I said in another thread, visual fidelity (ie. SDE) takes me out of the VR world less so than motion tracking and room scale, even if it's only a couple of feet in each direction, put me into the world.

This was my issue with the Rift and why I ordered the Vive after they announced the launch games.  Oculus is putting all their focus on the HMD as "VR".  To me it's more than that.  Sure if they had 8k per eye displays at 120 frames per second that would be one thing.  But that fact that it's essentially the same optical quality as a Vive it just lost my enthusiasm, because even though these 1st gen headsets are low res displays there are other ways to immerse the user besides just resolution and FOV.  Haven't gotten my notice from Oculus yet (I pre-ordered day 1 but don't know my order in line) but even if it's delayed until May I'm not sweating it.  If my Vive was being delayed a month I would sweat it...that's just how excited I am to try Valve's Lab, Tilt Brush, Arizona Sunshine, Vanishing Realms, etc.  

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
Comparison:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/virtual-reality/oculus-rift-vs-samsung-gear-vr/

The OP picked the one spec where the GearVR is better, resolution.  In everything else the Rift is superior.

RikkTheGaijin
Heroic Explorer
I'll give you $700 if you send it to me right now. LOL

V-Walker
Adventurer
https://www.reddit.com/r/Vive/comments/4ef4cq/alan_yates_talks_about_vive_and_rift/

rift has a lot of display flaws compared to vive (and even Dk2).