cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The strangest awakening

Rifts
Adventurer
I got my rift this tuesday, and I've been using it a lot since then. I haven't been experiencing many side effects except from a bit of nausea the first day.

Today when I woke up however I got the strangest feeling. I thought that I was still in the rift. It's difficult to explain what it felt like, but when I stood up and looked around (it was still very dark) it looked like my room was just virtual. It only lasted for a few seconds and I was very tired so that might have added to it.

The feeling didn't disappear entirely though, and for a good hour I kept getting that sensation of my surroundings being made up of pixels, and when I brought up my phone to check the time, it hit me how much that motion looked like the menu popping up in Eve Valkyrie.

I've had some problems with anxiety before so this was not a nice or "interesting" feeling for me, it just made me uncomfortable. I really don't want to wake up like this every day lol.

Am I actually crazy or does anyone know what I'm talking about?
11 REPLIES 11

Zenbane
MVP
MVP
The first 2 weeks I experienced quite a bit of after effects from too much Rifting. Especially the first 3 days, I would randomly reach to my face to adjust the VR headset... even when I wasn't wearing it. And ooh the dreams I had the first week. Yikes!

RorschachPhoeni
Trustee
https://youtu.be/67kO6YwxSiU
Excuse my bad english. I speak to you through the google translator. 😛

Mr_Creepy
Rising Star
I have felt maybe a brief sensation of percieving things differently after using VR for a couple of days. All in all it has pretty much had no effect though. When i say no effect i only mean strange sensations, a bit of nausea and mild symptoms have occured.

ThreeDeeVision
Superstar
I have felt like this once in the last couple years and it was when I first got the Rift and Vive and spent most of my waking hours for a week in VR.  My hands felt like they were not connected to my body and were floating around in front of me like the Vive wands.  I decided I had better 'unplug' and took my dirtbike out.  Everything went back to normal after that.
i7 5960X @ 3.8 GHz | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 PC2800 | GTX Titan X Pascal | Win 10 64 bit | Asus ROG PG348Q | EVGA X99 Classified

Rifts
Adventurer

I have felt like this once in the last couple years and it was when I first got the Rift and Vive and spent most of my waking hours for a week in VR.  My hands felt like they were not connected to my body and were floating around in front of me like the Vive wands.  I decided I had better 'unplug' and took my dirtbike out.  Everything went back to normal after that.

Oh god, I can imagine the Vive controlers making things even trippyer. I guess it's kind of like a trip on LSD, since you're actually in a different "reality". So it's possible to get flashbacks or feel like you're still there.

I'll certainly not play for 5 hours straight until 2am then get up for work at 6am again >.< I'm pretty sure I had strange dreams aswell and that those made it worse.

shanaf
Expert Protege
Only seeing this thread now. Oh my god that is actually scary!

I'm receiving my rift on Wednesday and thanks for the heads ups. I will make sure to limit using it the first few weeks to get used to it. And lol the matrix clip, sounds like that totally sums it up!

Kalec84
Heroic Explorer
The reality is, we are all into a VR simulation, and with the rift we are in a VR simulation inside a VR simulation and we are unconsciously realizing that, soo we try to get free of the VR simulation we are in right now but we still can't for now... not until the chosen one arrive....

And Yes...

I need my pills...

B)  

Lusca
Expert Protege
Existenz

Anonymous
Not applicable
Well, whenever I wake up after four hours of sleep I'm not sure what's real either.

I suppose I've had some weird VR-related dreams since having the rift, but I've also had dreams about helping bootleggers smuggle whiskey through a war zone as the Ohio State Department of Transportation fought against giant robot spiders in a post-apocalyptic future, so weird dreams are sort of the norm for me.